Parking a Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ptrotier
First Name: Philippe
Last Name: Trotier

Parking a Model T

Post by ptrotier » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi, I've been dreaming of buying a Model T for years now and I'm finally at a stage in my life where I can realistically buy one.
I know roughly how the machine operates but never drove one, so I have a driving questions.
To acces my garage I need to be able to go over a 20% grade driveway (around 25 feet long). As soon as the slope ends, I'm in the garage so the car needs to be stopped pretty fast. Would that be a problem?
I always see Model Ts driving in rural settings or on dirt roads and parked in a barn or in a large garage... I wonder if there is a good reason for that?
Thank you all in advance.

Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Parking a Model T

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:21 pm

I can back up my Model T into a space with about 6 inches on either side. I also can go down or up hills slowly enough so that I can stop when I get to the top or bottom of them immediately. The service brakes on a t
are good enough to keep you at a reasonable speed going down hills.

Respectfully summited,
Jonah D'Avella
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Yes. That would be a problem. Model T’s original factory brakes are notoriously bad. To get enough speed to get up that grade may be too much speed for the brakes to fully arrest before coming to a full stop before reaching the back wall of the garage. For someone with a lot of driving experience, it can probably be done with the pedal brake and emergency lever brakes used together, but it takes a lot of coordination, timing and experience to know when to apply the brakes. You don’t want to apply the brakes too soon before you are at the top, or you will stop your forward momentum and might not be able to get going again to get all the way to the top. Also, if you get a T with the tank under the seat, the steep grade may cause you to run out of gas before you reach the top because the gravity fed carburetor is to the front and even with the gas tank and when the car is going up an incline the carb is higher than the gas tank. This is especially true if the gas level is low and that may be a problem also if you are halfway up the grade and start rolling backwards, it may be hard to stop.

How do you plan to get the T out of the garage and down the grade? Is there a little room outside the garage to turn the T around for the trip down your driveway? I would be Leary of backing a Model T 25’ down a 20% grade. Give it a lot of consideration. You may be able to reconfigure your property to make a safer parking scenario for your T. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:27 pm

To answer your question " yes". A properly maintained T should do it with no problem. I drive mine into an enclosed trailer several times a year.

Learning and practice will be the key to your sucess. Good to hear of your interest and you have found a good place for any questions you may have. The people on this forum are very willing to help. I look forward to hearing from you again.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:55 pm

I agree with Dallas. Once you have a bit of experience it should not be a problem so long as you are driving straight in. Going in backwards would take some skill. 25 feet is not very far. You stop at the bottom of the driveway, put the parking brake in neutral, and drive up in low. The T goes pretty slow when you are in low. How deep is the garage? A T is only about 12 feet long. You have more room to stop than in a modern car. You could always line the back of the garage with pool noodles or boat fenders, but I do not think you will need them. Do not store your storm windows in that area either unless you do not mind buying new ones.

You can learn to drive a T in less than 30 minutes. I taught my son on the fairgounds by the hotel when he was 16, and then he had to drive about 25 miles on county highways from Rochester, MN to Redwig. This was during the national tour in 2011. He did just fine and did not hit anything so he must have been able to stop.

I suggest asking someone for a driving lesson, and then GO FOR IT. Get a T and have fun.

p.s. I have driven my T on an Interstate, but I do not recommend it.

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks for all of your answers! I like the different points of view. Would parking backwards make it easier and safer?
My house is a typical suburban house with limited space... sadly I'm stuck with this setup.
Thanks again!
Phil.

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:11 pm

After the horse, the model T was the first ATV. Once you become familiar with it's abilities and limitations, it will take you most anywhere you want to go. As long as you're not in a hurry. :)

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:14 pm

A lady from,West Virginia wrote about how their car could climb a 23 percent driveway grade with her and husband in the car. Couldn't make it when their children were included. A 10 mph running start in low gear should do the job.
Art Mirtes

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Ok so backing up is not a good idea :) . My garage is about 23feet deep. In low gear, how "fast" will the T go with the throttle on low also i guess..?
Good idea putting boat fenders.
Another question... that might seem stupid. In case of emergency if I get mixed up with the gears/lever/pedals... will switching the key off while driving stop the spark/engine (like any other car)?
Thanks!!

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Get used to drive the car before trying the grade. Sound like the elevation is only 5 feet. 25 feet length at 20 percent grade.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:36 pm

The above suggestions such as having more than half tank gas and pulling the parking brake into the neutral position before you ascend the hill. Two very important things new T drivers do which can cause you to go through the back of the garage are 1. Pushing the clutch (low) pedal all the way down, which puts it into low gear. And the other is forgetting to push up the throttle. Both of those mistakes will cause you to speed up instead of stop. This also applies to stopping for a pedestrian. Take plenty of time to get used to shifting and stopping the T. Putting the parking lever into the neutral position allows you to use the left foot for the low and when you remove your foot, you will automatically be in neutral and use the right foot for the brake.
Also I don't know the area where you live, but if you can find a T with Ruckstell or other auxiliary transmission with an reduction gear, you can use T low and auxiliary low together which will give you a slower speed than the standard T low.
Norm

DHort

Post by DHort » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 pm

An emergency stop method is to step on all 3 pedals at once. Not recommended , but if you have to it will work. It is hard on the transmission. No need to turn off the key - you don't have time to think about the key.

Sometimes you can also throw the spark and throttle lever up and the car will stop, especially if you set the throttle so that the engine will die when the throttle is up all the way.

If you have 23 feet you have lots of room. You should never have a problem.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 pm

I know the T can make the 20 degree grade once it gets up to speed...my concern is the immediate stop at the top of the grade as it immediately enters the garage. It can be done, but not without a lot of practice and coordination of the pedals with the emergency brake lever and the spark and throttle levers. I have driven a T up a ramp onto an open 12’ trailer and immediately stopped it before it got to the end of the trailer, but not without a lot of planning and practicing with the order of operation of the brake pedals and levers and some silent prayers. It took a couple of tries to get it up the ramp and on the third try, I got it up and over the top of the ramp and then with a frenzy of concentrated activity, I stopped just short of the end of the trailer. I was truly as surprised that I did it as everyone there watching me. I left the cab of the T to an abundance of backslapping and congratulations as well as a beer, for nobody else wanted to do it. They knew what was involved. I was lucky and will never do it again. Now, I use a winch to load my T onto a trailer. Jim Patrick

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 pm

My take is it Will require a little driving skill as mentioned. a garage back door would be helpful if You over shoot. drive through garages and sheds are easier to navigate. The bigger problem as I see it will be backing down the 20% grade. Backing up the grade into Your garage might work better. so You are headed out down the hill when You take the car for a drive. and if its a non starter car You can probably even start it just by rolling down the driveway. Its FLAT here So I don't know much about Hill driving. As far as Ts being driven mostly on back roads and in the country. they don't go fast and they don't brake well. poor visibility to other drivers especially at night since most are all black with no brake lights or turn signals which You can add. They were not made for modern go fast quick stop traffic. but some drive in traffic on a regular basic. as far as where they are parked. maneuvering a model T in tight quarters can be a challenge for a new driver with poor rear visibility. and a transmission that is not the smoothest for moving just a little bit forward and reverse when parking. also most all Ts leak oil and leaking gas can be a problem. so a barn or large garage has its advantages. Good Luck

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:41 pm

My first question would be what type of T are you thinking about. I have a 26 roadster and with the top down you have very good all around vision so I would suggest that you back up the hill for the simple reason that if something goes sour halfway up the incline you would have much better control going forward down the hill. Now if you had a closed car you won't have as good visibility that would make it a little tougher but I would still try to back up to the garage. Good luck and try to find a local club, that can be very helpful and you might even find someone getting ready to part with a car. Also welcome to the forum. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 am

I agree that backing in would probably be your best approach. Coming out you will be going forward and will have better control on that slope. But back in slowly with the hand lever in neutral. I don't have a 20% slope, but I back in. Lay a 2 x 4, or better yet a 4 x 4, on the garage floor where you want to stop.

In this video I'm backing up to the board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95UnsJrl6M&t=7s
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:42 am

A Model T Ford is very easy to drive BUT one first of all, you need one which is in properly adjusted condition. If the bands are not correctly adjusted or the actual mechanics of the car are out it can be difficult for anyone to drive it safely. So have some one check out your T (buy one which you can see driving ) and make sure it is in good condition with all pedal and lever adjustments correct. Don't forget people bought these cars never having driven anything mechanical before and with minimum instruction drove them in all sorts of conditions perfectly well.

One has an advantage when driving a Model T which you don't have with a normal manual car. If you know the feel of the clutch and can move the pedal from neutral to forward by pressing the pedal more and back again to neutral you also have your right foot free to use the brake and you can speed up and reduce the motor speed with your hand, in a manual car you have to use your right foot on the brake or the accelerator and be skilled it their use or you will get the speed of the engine and the car all wrong.

With practice you will be so familiar with the procedure you can drive up or down any steep driveway or other slope. I have a drive way similar to yours but it is down into the garage and I drive my Town Car both reverse and forward into it. Having both feet to either brake while going in reverse with the right foot and using the left foot to hold in neutral ( I always leave the hand brake fully off and hold the low pedal to hold in neutral ) I can look behind me and go backwards or push the low speed in and drive forward any time I need to adjust exactly where I want to place the car next to my bench or the table saw on the other side and I always have the throttle control with my hand to adjust the speed of the engine when I need to.

Going up into a garage is easier, Keep your right foot over the brake pedal, increase the engine speed so you are able to move forward up the drive, Low speed is geared low so you can go very slow even up hill as you reach the top ease off the throttle lever and if you think you are going too fast let pressure off the low speed pedal, the car will slow or stop moving forward and your right foot can slow you down, if you are on the flat inside the garage you can apply a bit more pressure to the low speed and move forward. As has been mentioned a stop on the floor will prevent you going too far if you think you need it.

The secret is PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE first off in a clear level space and then in your driveway when you get the hang of it. If you can find an experienced Model T owner to check out you car and give you some driving lessons then it will be easy. There are thousands of us driving Model T's and most would not think twice about tackling any hill, road or other obstacle anywhere anytime. Its easy just different!!

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 am

I don't know the degree of sloop to enter my barn but whenever I have had a "dead" car that I needed to have in the barn for repairs I was faced with a similar question. How to get it into the barn? I installed a 2500 pound winch. I made a plate larger than the base of the winch and welded it to the base. I sunk bolts into the concrete floor and drilled the plate to match the two bolts space about 15 inches apart. The winch is remote controlled and I can hook onto the car and ease it up the slope and into the level area of the barn. Not a lot of expense but solved the problem when even one of my everyday cars needed to be in the barn and not on its' own power. Just a thought, Dick C.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am

What problem climbing a steep grade with people in?
Packed Model T climbing steps.jpg
Model T climbing steps.jpg
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 am

Sounds like maybe your driveway looks a bit like this? My advice--sell the house and get one that's on flatter ground! ;) :lol:
I didn't read all the rather lengthy suggestions, so I at least hope someone also mentioned to make sure your bands are well adjusted. Also, if nothing else, put one of those concrete "car stoppers" in your garage, like they used to have in parking lots years ago. I think overall, for safety sake, though, backing it in might be the best. That way, when leaving the garage, you have full frontal view, hand on the emergency lever, one foot on the service brake, such as it is,left foot on clutch holding neutral, and just coast out of the driveway. Dozen different ways, but in the end, you gotta figure out what works for you. Good luck!
Attachments
steep driveways.jpg
steep driveways.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am

As far as backing up a Model T you have to always remember you don’t have real brakes going in reverse any more than going forward!
In other words “Model T’s don’t have real brakes” !

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am

That winch is a good idea. You can use it to pull the car into the garage, either forward or backward. Just hook to the frame or to the spring right where it attaches to the axle. Never attach directly to the axle or you risk bending the axle.
The winch will also come in handy if your car doesn't run and you want to get it into the garage to work on it.
A very good idea.
Norm

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:47 am

Phillipe,
Discouraging, eh? Loading onto a trailer is similar...it's a incline, tight space and you must come to a sudden stop. Scary for a new owner, it was for me. I have since installed a winch in my trailer and use it for both loading and unloading. For that and many other reasons I've also installed hydraulic disc brakes on my 1917 Touring.

Steve's suggestion of a 4 x 4 across the floor to assure the car stops is a good idea. If your lever is in neutral the simple act of lifting your left foot off the pedal will take it out of gear regardless of the throttle setting. You're used to using your right foot on the brake so that should seem natural. If your engine is good and your bands adjusted properly you should be able to climb your slope at a controllable speed. The factory brakes aren't very good so make sure they are properly adjusted. I would suggest you drive it a bit and then practice in a quiet parking lot. Try driving it at speed towards a parking spot and bring it to a stop within the lines. A Typical Model T is a little over 11 feet long so you have a little room to work with if your garage is 23 feet long.

Model T's tend to be squirrelly in reverse so I'd avoid trying to back into your garage until you've had some experience. Be careful backing down your driveway!

One factor you need to consider is that Model T's are tall compared to modern cars. If your garage door is not high enough you may not be able to get the car in without lowering the top (if it has a folding top.) Many guys have sad stories of forgetting to lower their tops and knocking them off on a trailer or garage door.

You can't solve a problem until you know what it is. Gathering information as you are doing is the right way to prepare for Model T ownership. You'll get a lot of suggestions, sift thru them and see what works for you. "Where there's a will there's a way..." Good luck!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 am

Norman Kling wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:43 am
That winch is a good idea. You can use it to pull the car into the garage, either forward or backward. Just hook to the frame or to the spring right where it attaches to the axle. Never attach directly to the axle or you risk bending the axle.
The winch will also come in handy if your car doesn't run and you want to get it into the garage to work on it.
A very good idea.
Norm
Not to criticize, but I would equate winching it into the garage with back when I trailered my 16' Lyman to the boat launch ramp.
Half a season of that inconvenience and I managed "to find" enough money for my own dock! This would get real tiresome real quick.
Plus, the car would have to be parked at the very end of the driveway where it meets the street, it won't sit by itself anywhere up on the slope I'm sure. Slow as most winches are, it would probably take at least 15 minutes getting it into the garage. Additionally, the cable will most definitely grind a groove where it meets the flat level to the sloped driveway while it pulls the car up. Also, as many times as I just barely beat a downpour, for me this would not be good! Sooner or later this gent will experience the same. Yeh, I know it's only rain, but..... :roll:

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 am

You can get a powerful electric winch that pulls pretty fast. I believe there are also remote control winches with a handheld wireless remote that would allow for you to sit in the cab steering the car, as the car is being pulled up the grade. Regarding the cable grinding a groove into the concrete that could damage the cable, you could mount a pulley (see photo) onto the concrete at the top of the grade with heavy duty anchors. Such pulleys are low enough for any vehicles to clear. Only problem would be that it would be a tripping hazard, so you might need to surround it with wide, highly visible, yellow caution tape with black diagonal lines with industrial grade adhesive so it could be permanently affixed to the concrete so that it would be a constant reminder that the pulley is there. A little inconvenience would be better than a momentary lapse in concentration or a brake failure that could result in tragedy. There have recently been several posts on the forum regarding brake failures on steep grades, less than yours that culminated in an uncontrolled and rapid descent down the grade and, in one case, a rollover that resulted in injury and severe damage to the T. Jim Patrick

BA5CB9A5-6C19-44A8-8353-C8647B3A906F.png
BA5CB9A5-6C19-44A8-8353-C8647B3A906F.png (13.4 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Last edited by jiminbartow on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

Post by DJPeterson » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:55 am

No one has mentioned the fuel supply issue. A 20% grade is too much for any of the cars with tank under the seat. Except, it will keep running on the fuel in the carburetor bowl for a bit. If you don't dilly dally on the way in going forward you can make it. Pause on the way up or take too much time and it will die on you and you will learn about driving a T in reverse! Of course there have been small reserve tanks mounted above the engine used in the past for this reason, also.

Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Philippe,

If no one else has suggested, if I were in your situation I'd contact the local Model T Club to request a member bring over their Model T to see if their car would make it. Doing it and talking about it are to, too, two, 2 different things. :-)

Welcome to the hobby and best of luck,
Dom

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Philippe, I've been reading your thread with interest. There's lots of good suggestions given above. I like them all and appreciate your concern of being a first time Model T buyer and driver, especially with your garage situation.

I really think it would be good if you could post a side view picture of your driveway, similar to the one Tim Wrenn posted above. You may not have as serious an issue as you think and a picture can really put it into perspective for all of us.

I also like the idea of having an experienced T driver come over and driving into your garage to get a realistic idea of how easy or difficult driving into your garage will be, both forward and backing in. You might be surprised.

Having a car with an underdrive gear available, like a Ruckstell or KC Warford, would be helpful. They offer more power at a slower speed when needed. I have used T's with Ruckstells or with a KC Warford and really like them.

If you are concerned about the lack of fuel issue when on a steep hill, especially if you live in a hilly area, you could get a '26 - '27 T with the gas tank in the cowl. All '26 - '27 T models have the cowl tank except the Fordor Sedan.

The issue of going up your driveway and having an engine stall or lack of power problem forcing you to roll the car down backwards could be a serious issue and T brakes are marginal and even if you have auxiliary brakes, like Rock Mountain brakes as they aren't very good in reverse. (Don't ask me how I know that....) You could avoid that problem by using the modern disc brakes sold by the vendors which give excellent braking both forward and reverse.

Best wishes as you get your own Model T, and please do post a picture of your driveway.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Jim, I too thought of a low-profile pully, but IMHO, or maybe not so humble :roll: , I decided at least if it were me, "no way".
I still like the idea of moving!! :lol:

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Me too Tim. I’d probably trip over it everytime I got near it and roll all the way to the bottom of the driveway, but think of all exercise we’d get hiking back up several times a day. :lol: Jim Patrick

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Another idea which is the most extreme yet would be to move to a more level area with a garage easy to enter. Or rent a garage somewhere easier to park. Or if you have a place to park a closed trailer you could store it in a trailer. But the day will come when you will have a serious problem and need a way to park it out of the weather without being able to drive it in. I have a friend who lives on the 21st floor of a high rise building downtown and he actually rents a storage facility for his T's. He has two of them.
Norm.

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Again, thank you all so much for you answers. They are all interesting to read. I'm posting pictures of what I have to deal with. And also I have remeasured my driveway length and height just to be sure. I also used a grade calculator to make sure I've got the right % and it gives me around 13%... Not as bad as 20% :? But still... still steep. I have to be vigilant when parking the 5 speed Mustang so imagine with a Model T.
Here are the pictures, let me know what you think!
Thanks. Phil.
Attachments
20210118_160713.jpg
20210118_160857.jpg

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:36 pm

...more pictures.
Attachments
123.jpg
1234.jpg

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:46 pm

I can't get a perfect perspective on your driveway, but it is not nearly as steep as TWrenn driveway. It looks like you have a curve on the way up. I think a winch mounted high enough on the front wall at the right as you look at the picture would work. Not so high it would lift the car as you got into the garage, but high enough so the cable would not drag on the driveway.
Norm

DHort

Post by DHort » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Oh Hell. That would be a piece of cake in a T. Buy yourself a Touring or a Roadster so you can drive right in, and the wind will blow thru your hair like it does in a corvette. Come to Milwaukee and I will teach you how to drive a Speedster. Then you will never have a problem parking in your garage.

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Looking at the pictures I think it won't be a problem if the car will fit in the door. The fact that the driveway levels off a bit before the door means you can back off on the power at that point and ease it in. It's not like a manual transmission...with the lever in neutral the left pedal is the go pedal. Release it at the top and coast in. If you need a little more forward motion, press it in again briefly. Rest your right foot above the brake and apply as needed. Piece of cake! Just get a little driving practice in first.

Word of caution...don't trust the parking brake when parking on a slope. I carry chocks in my car for that purpose. That's a good job for your copilot :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Your entry should not be a problem. It may take some practice but the slope doesn't appear to be as much as I have. I back a 12 t hack into the barn and squeeze between a storage bin and the bumper of a 27 Marmon. I get the T up into the barn just to where it is on the level floor and pull it in using the front wheels. I find that I can rotate the wheels pulling on the spokes and turn the wheel at the same time. Not to belittle your concern but it should be a piece of cake for you. Just takes practice.

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 pm

:lol: After seeing the pics, I said exactly what Dave Hort said! :lol:
The last pic does show it a bit steeper looking than the others, but still...not bad at all. Thank GOD it's nothing like that idiotic
driveway in the pic I posted above!! Off topic as it is, THAT builder oughta be thrown in jail for even attempting to peddle a piece of crap driveway like that! Worse yet would be the idiot(s) who bought into that junk!! :lol:
Be brave, go slow, you'll be fine. Just be sure the TOP IS DOWN!!

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm

I agree with the others, Your driveway is not a problem once you get the hang of driving a T and are careful going up the slight hill. I agree also that before you buy a T, first measure the height of your door opening and make sure the T will fit in, preferably with the top up. Many modern garage doors have a 6'6" to 6'11' high opening which often are not high enough for the earlier cars.

Note to Tim Wrenn, Agreed, the guy who designed and / or built the place shown on your picture should be banned from the design / construction trade.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Pictures can be deceiving, but I agree it doesn't look bad at all. It also looks like your doors are tall enough, but measure and be sure.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:18 am

I'm happy to read that its not enough to cause any issues.
Thank you all for your input!
Phil.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Phil,

I'm leaving not so far away from you. I do not see any concern about your driveway as well. Just be carefull with your garage doors which need to have a 6'6" to 6'11' high. If you need any help or advices purchasing a T feel free to contact me. I will be glad to help you finding the right T for your needs. Welcome in T world!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Topic author
ptrotier

Post by ptrotier » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am

Quickm007 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am
Hi Phil,

I'm leaving not so far away from you. I do not see any concern about your driveway as well. Just be carefull with your garage doors which need to have a 6'6" to 6'11' high. If you need any help or advices purchasing a T feel free to contact me. I will be glad to help you finding the right T for your needs. Welcome in T world!
I will! I guess i can contact you via your profil?
thanks

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:26 pm

ptrotier wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am
Quickm007 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am
Hi Phil,

I will! I guess i can contact you via your profil?
thanks
Correct contact me anytime.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Mikey1968
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jewell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Post by Mikey1968 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:09 pm

I skimmed through some of the replies but perhaps a longer term solution are hydraulic rear disk brakes? I have decided to add these to my Ruckstelled 26 Touring that has no aux brakes this spring. I too am a new driver and if I fail stopping in my garage, the T and another nice automotive toy will be damaged. I'm all for originality but will tip to safety first. My couple o pennies.

Mike

John Dow
Last Name: Dow
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:08 pm

No sweat. Buy the T and practice a little to build up your confidence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic