New Day Timer Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

New Day Timer Question

Post by Scott C. » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 pm

The old roller timer on my 26 Coupe wore out and left me on the side of the road. So, I installed a New Day Timer. As the engine is running the timer rocks around. I assume that the brush is pushing it outward as it turns? Should there be a plate between timer and the timing cover? There currently is not one there. What is the distance from the mounting surface to the brush surface supposed to be? I am wondering if it is too short? I doubt that the brush could be too long?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: New Day Timer Question

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:05 pm

I wonder if somebody has installed too stiff a spring in the brush. I suppose the absence of the original style brass/felt seal could put the cover too close to the brush, but that hasn't been a problem for me.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Could be simple, the clamp is too loose that holds it in place, not enough tension. Could be bent or just too loose. Try that first. The brush is spring loaded so should float. Most people run without the plate behind it anyway.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Could also be the timing cover has/was never centered using the proper centering tool.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm
Could be simple, the clamp is too loose that holds it in place, not enough tension. Could be bent or just too loose. Try that first. The brush is spring loaded so should float. Most people run without the plate behind it anyway.
If you are using original style felt seal at the cam, you must run with the brass shield.

Otherwise the timer brush rotor will dig in the felt and jam up, causing issues too.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Scott,
I measured two spare timers I have, which are nearly new. The distance from the bottom edge to the surface where the brush rides measured 813" and .818"

You can get a good idea of how much they've been resurfaced by comparing that measurement to the distance from the wire terminal to the edge.
Bill Coyle

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm

If the engine has a fiber timing gear, it might be that the cam nut is preventing the brush body from seating back against the shoulder on the cam.
Look to see if the arm on the brush is hitting the end of the cam nut. If it is, you can narrow the arm width and allow the brush to move farther toward the rear. This will allow the timer to not be pushed forward by the rotating brush. Because fiber cam timing gears have a much thicker hub than stock gears, the cam nut can be shifted forward causing issues like this.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Getting the timer in a firm but not to tight fit can fool you.
You might need to bend the arm that holds it on just a bit for a tighter fit.

Remember that the arm bolt feels really tight when you just tightening down the bolt and arm but if it’s not bent enough it’s not really pushing down firm on the timer to hold the timer firmly in place.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Dan McEachern wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm
If the engine has a fiber timing gear, it might be that the cam nut is preventing the brush body from seating back against the shoulder on the cam.
About 95% of the time, if a newly installed New Day Timer is rocking around it is caused by exactly what Dan stated. It will also tear the contact face of the timer up real quick.

A loose timer retainer spring is definitely a possibility but would be easy to see & feel with the engine turned off (just try wiggling the timer fore & aft.

Topic author
Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 am

The arm is holding it good and firm against the cover.

My timer measured right around .820 from the mounting surface to the contacts. The timer and brush assembly are both EBay purchases, so no idea what could have been done to them in the past. They do both look good.

I do not know if the gear is fiber, or not. But, I have a feeling that you hit the nail right on the head! I thought, when I tightened down the nut, that something did not feel right. I think that the nut is probably trying to compressing the brush assembly. I will take a closer look at that when I get some time.

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:45 am

Uh-oh. If it's a fiber gear I would make it a wall hanger and put in an original or one of Dan's.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:15 am

I've come across this sort of problem before, turned out that the end of the cam shaft was bent.

Topic author
Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 am

I will check the snout of the cam shaft run out too, but I doubt that is it. I never noticed it with the roller timer.

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:43 pm

There have already been some good comments so I'll only add a couple thoughts not covered. If there is a fiber timing gear, you can plainly see that the cam nut extends past the shoulder on the cam (unless the gear installer trimmed the nut down). This cam shoulder is what the brush sits against. Some brushes have an OD smaller than the ID of the cam nut, so this isn't even a problem (TW, for example). An original New Day brush may need a small notch filed on the backside of the arm to clear the edge of the cam nut and allow proper seating of the brush against the cam shoulder. I've attached a photo showing where to put the notch in red (I believe the original un-doctored photo is Steve's). For re-assurance, you can measure the compressed height of the brush from the timing cover face and compare to the timer, but this is easiest done with the radiator removed.
Attachments
Inkednew-day-timer-repair-model-t-ford-29_LI.jpg
Inkednew-day-timer-repair-model-t-ford-29_LI.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:21 pm

What Dan and Nick posted is correct. I figured this one out over 50 years ago!

Topic author
Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:47 pm

You guys are 100% correct! As you can see in the picture, the brush assembly needed to be notched to clear the cam nut and that it does still have the felt seal with out the shield. I had another brush assembly that was already notched, so I swapped them. I tried to install an aftermarket shield, but it did not fit right. The brush assembly compressed and distorted it. The timing gear cover may not be centered properly, or the shield is not the correct diameter? I think that I should probably install seal?
IMG_1413.jpg

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:41 pm

A simple fix! That’s a good deal. Sometimes we make it harder than it really is. Seems like that was discussed in tinkering tips years ago.

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Scott, glad it worked out. I would put a seal in like you said. -Nik

Piewagon
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77

Post by Piewagon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 pm

I have a couple of NOS new day timers. The correct dimension from the outer edge of the timer cover to the face of the timer (where the brush rubs against) is exactly 13/16" (.8125) on both of the units I have. Watch out for the "S" models since those timers often have poor materials and bad dimensions in a few places. The back edge of the brush sleeve should slide back until it rests against the shoulder on the cam. The wobbling timer cover is an old old issue that has come up many times and the part that is out of spec and causing it is that the cam gear hub is too thick by about .100" so the cam nut is forward of where it is supposed to be. This then has the brush forward of where it is supposed to be. If you drive the car more than a few miles that way you best take along your cell phone and know somebody with a trailer since you will destroy your NEW DAY timer. I had this problem on my T this same way some 20+ years ago and found out the ultimate problem was the maker of the cam gear changed the hub thickness. I had the issue right after I started up my car after an engine rebuild that included a new cam gear.

Sorry that this problem is still being revisited that was shown to have occurred so long ago.

tiredfarmer
First Name: leonard
Last Name: simunek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring. 1931 model a pickup, 1947 willys cj2a
MTFCA Number: 29713
MTFCI Number: 24052

Post by tiredfarmer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:59 am

When I put a New Day on my 26 touring it was doing the Hula when the engine was running. I tried to bend the arm that holds the timer, but it didn't want to bend. So I ordered two brass shields, cut out the middle for the seal. The two brass shields was enough to bring out the New Day so the brush had room enough to rotate without making the timer Hula.

Topic author
Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:03 am

The timer is nice and stable now with the notched brush assembly.

Yes, the brass shield was contacting the cam nut. I could probably enlarge the center hole and install it. But, I am leaning towards installing a modern lip seal.

tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

Post by tommyleea » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 am

OK..After reading this, my issue is becoming clearer...timer seal problems post...If the cam nut shoulder extends out, this is what the seal will go over, and not the camshaft snout itself. If this is the case, will the seal actually do any good at all? Would you have to put a seal between the camshaft nut shoulder and the camshaft snout to hold the oil in? My camshaft nut extends out like Scott"s.
0122211544.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:20 am

Very little if any oil would get past the threaded part where the cam gear retaining nut screws onto the cam shaft. The seal in the front cover rides on the cam nut which needs to be smooth (like any sealing surface no pits or grooves). There would be enough room along the surface of that nut for the seal in the front cover to ride on anywhere along it's length. How far out the nut sticks past were, in this case, the new day timer brush assembly needs to seat has nothing to do with sealing. My suggestion would be to get one of the shorter cam gear nuts. The cam gear shown does look a little thicker and the nut may be extending more then it needs to past where the brush assemble needs to seat.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 am

Mark Gregush wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:20 am
Very little if any oil would get past the threaded part where the cam gear retaining nut screws onto the cam shaft. The seal in the front cover rides on the cam nut which needs to be smooth (like any sealing surface no pits or grooves). There would be enough room along the surface of that nut for the seal in the front cover to ride on anywhere along it's length. How far out the nut sticks past were, in this case, the new day timer brush assembly needs to seat has nothing to do with sealing. My suggestion would be to get one of the shorter cam gear nuts. The cam gear shown does look a little thicker and the nut may be extending more then it needs to past where the brush assemble needs to seat.
Does the seal normally ride on the camshaft nut shoulder, or on the shaft that goes through it? Is the seals purpose to seal out the oil that is in the timing cover area? Thanks for clarification for me. Tommy

Topic author
Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 am

If you look at the picture that I posted of mine, you can see the felt seal rides on the nut.

tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Scott C. wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 am
If you look at the picture that I posted of mine, you can see the felt seal rides on the nut.
Thanks..I looked initially and didn't notice the seal. Now it is clear. Thanks..Case closed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic