Need help searching

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Need help searching

Post by Lyndon » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:20 pm

In an earlier post, November, December or January. There was a discussion on staining firewalls, 1913 or 1914. Someone was talking about a color of minwax stain that had been discontinued. And for all I remember it might have been another brand. And on that same post, there was some mention of some other colors that were close. And right now, I just cannot find it. Can anyone help me to find it. It seems like I always have problems searching for back topics that I want to re-read. Thank you. Lyndon

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Need help searching

Post by TWrenn » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 pm

I don't remember anything about MinWax stain, but I do know, and a huge consensus is, that Laural Mountain Forge Cherry stain is as close to original as about you can get.
Attachments
'13 restored lft. frt. copy.jpg

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:45 pm

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:47 pm

I think you may be asking about Pratt & Lambert's Cherry Bark. That has been discontinued. I used it on my own '14 dash. At least one other poster here (besides me :D ) bought all the remaining stock at his local store so it's still out there.
RVA 14 top (3).jpg

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Lyndon » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:10 pm

I do think that is it. Pratt and Lambert. Also did someone come in and mention another brand that was close also? I will search my local paint store that carries Pratt and Lambert on Monday. I am working on a 1914, and just wanted it as close as possible. Thank you.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:24 pm

D1EA54D2-9FCE-4074-A5FF-77F996A66958.jpeg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:45 am

I have attained that color by mixing red mahogany stain with brown mahogany stain. I believe I mixed 1 part red with 3 parts brown, or vice versa, but you can experiment with the mixture to get the exact color you want. In my 50 years of restoring antiques and refinishing furniture, I have always had the best luck with water based analine stains from “Constantine's Woodworking Supplies”, (www.constantines.com). The quart size stains come in a small envelope and, when mixed with a quart of warm water in a glass jar, makes a quart of stain. The reason I like water based stain is because, unlike oil stains, which sit on top of the wood, water based stains are absorbed deep into the wood, giving it a 3 dimensional appearance as it stains several layers of wood grain deep in the wood, illuminating the various levels. One important thing that should be done is, prior to staining, you should wipe down the wood with water and let dry, then sand off the raised hair-like grains. If you do not do this, the water based stain will cause the grain to raise and the wood should not be sanded after the stain has been applied, as it may cause an uneven stain distribution, however if you need to sand the surface after staining, you can re-apply the stain. You can also control the color by adding water and thinning out the stain for a lighter color, or apply several applications for a darker color. Just be sure you do not alter the main stain mixture from which you mix your colors from. Once you have applied your mixed stain to the wood, allow the stain to dry and wipe with mineral spirits to determine how it will look coated with varnish. If too dark, allow the mineral spirits to evaporate and wipe with a cloth saturated with water. If too light, apply more stain. Jim Patrick.

408630FE-057D-4D95-BCE0-1D9025D6E3C4.jpeg
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 pm

I recently used some Cherry Bark stain on my KW coil box. It is nice, but I prefer the Laurel Mountain Forge stain. I believe it is closer to what Ford used.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic