Horn Hums and Probably Isn't Brass?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Horn Hums and Probably Isn't Brass?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:04 pm

I took a chance on this horn off of ebay. I don't know what it is. It might be a faux reproduction brass horn. I tried 6 volts and 12 volts on it and it hums. I don't actually think it is brass, I think it is a kind of paint that looks like brass since when I open it up it looks shiny steel. Can anyone identify it and how I might get it to operate?
Attachments
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Horn Hums and Probably Isn't Brass?

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Appears to be a AC magneto type or perhaps a DC 6v buzzer horn.

The disc diaphragm vibrates to make the sound is rusted out on the edges, so that is all it can do is hum, the coils are trying to pull the disc but can't.

Check the horn bell with a magnet, seems like brass, a magnet won't stick to the bell.

Photo below is the std. Ford magneto buzz horn apart, this one has a rusted diaphragm, so it likely didn't buzz well either.

519gh9.jpg
519gh9.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Sketch of simple buzz horn innards.

IMG_0800 (640x562).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Horn Hums and Probably Isn't Brass?

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am

Looks like a battery type buzz horn. When the magnet pulls the diaphragm down the points open. It may be missing gaskets that went on one or both sides of the diaphragm, putting it too close to the center part so it does not have room to move in and out. The diaphragm could be home made, which why it is not round, they used what they had. It should be spring steel.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic