Oil Containment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

Oil Containment

Post by tommyleea » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 pm

What keeps the oil from spewing out of the valve cover where the throttle rod goes through? 23 T.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Oil Containment

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:14 pm

The Model T engine has no pressure. Oil gets to where it needs to go through splashing and there is nothing to splash the oil in the valve stem compartment where the throttle rod goes through, so the oil simply drains out through the hole back to the crankcase. Of course some finds its’ way out through the hole, but not enough for concern. Jim Patrick

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:23 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:14 pm
The Model T engine has no pressure. Oil gets to where it needs to go through splashing and there is nothing to splash the oil in the valve stem compartment where the throttle rod goes through, so the oil simply drains out through the hole back to the crankcase. Of course some finds its’ way out through the hole, but not enough for concern. Jim Patrick
Thanks..Model T is something else.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 pm

Yes it is definitely something else. LOL! Originally, the smooth, non-adjustable tappets brought barely any oil at all up into the valve stem compartment, but with adjustable tappets with the hex head tops and adjustable nut, more oil makes it up into the valve stem compartment than did with the smooth sealed tappets, but again, not enough finds its’ way out to cause anymore leakage than was the engine was designed for. Of course when the engine gets hot, you will find that a lot of very fine oil vapor escapes from the valve cover hole and coats the engine and inside the engine compartment. Jim Patrick

PS. One thing I learned the hard way is to NEVER top off the oil when the engine is running, as the fan will blow the oil all over the engine cowl and windshield.

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:16 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 pm
Yes it is definitely something else. LOL! Originally, the smooth, non-adjustable tappets brought barely any oil at all up into the valve stem compartment, but with adjustable tappets with the hex head tops and adjustable nut, more oil makes it up into the valve stem compartment than did with the smooth sealed tappets, but again, not enough finds its’ way out to cause anymore leakage than was the engine was designed for. Of course when the engine gets hot, you will find that a lot of very fine oil vapor escapes from the valve cover hole and coats the engine and inside the engine compartment. Jim Patrick

PS. One thing I learned the hard way is to NEVER top off the oil when the engine is running, as the fan will blow the oil all over the engine cowl and windshield.
Thanks..I still have the old style lifters.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:13 am

tommyleea wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:23 pm
Thanks..Model T is something else.
Understatement of the year.

I've come to realize (and become comfortable with the fact) that if my Model T isn't leaking oil....it needs oil.

Any of my other vintage cars, leaking oil drives me insane and I trace down the leak and attack it with vigor. On my T, I just crawl under the car once a week and wipe up as much of it as I can and call it good. The constant leaking and my constant wiping creates sort of a poor man's clean (ish) chassis rust prevention program. At least that's what I like to tell myself.
1924 Touring

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:35 am

Much depends on the vintage of the car. My two early (1909 and 1910) Buicks seep oil everywhere, they were designed that way. These cars have valve-in-head (overhead) valve trains, all external (makes a great show when running). Oil was intended to ooze up through the tappet holes, otherwise there would be no lubrication, but because it is all open, the oil has nowhere to go but all over the engine. The rocker arms are exposed, need oiling by hand every 40 miles or so, an oil can is supplied on the dash, but there is nowhere for that oil to go but down onto the engine. Ditto the transmission. Back in the day you either had a chauffeur to keep the engine clean, you had a wiping rag at hand, or you lived with oil on the floor of the barn. The early Fords had open valves, obviously leaked. My 1912 Fords have separate valve covers, leak a lot less, but, indeed, if it isn't leaking something it isn't a Model T or the oil is too low. The expectations were just different. As L. P. Hartley wrote: "the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there". If you can't live with oil on the engine (and elsewhere) maybe you should stick with modern automobiles.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 pm

Are your oil return holes in the tappet area plugged up?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic