timer seal problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

timer seal problem

Post by tommyleea » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:13 pm

I purchased the new style timer seal. Lubed the rubber portion and installed it. The seal just pushed on. I didn't need to tap it at all. The seal spins with the cam. Anyone else run into this problem. Should I just use the felt seal? Also, I purchased a new brass plate that goes over the seal, I know the new seal doesn't use it, but the hole in the center appears too small. It goes over the threaded portion on the front of the crank, but not over the crank snout like the seal. It wobbles, and doesn't sit flush with the cover. I didn't see any options for the plate. Is it just manufactured wrong or is it me? Got it from Lang's...3222. I thought I was going to make progress today, but no such luck. Thanks for input. 23 T.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Re: timer seal problem

Post by JohnH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:47 pm

The seal needs to be shimmed around its perimeter to get a tight fit. I only use the modern seal because I use an E-Timer, otherwise the felt seal seal is fine with mechanical timers.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:50 pm

I don't bother with the vendors seals for that very reason, I buy mine from our local bearing supplier and fit just fine.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Perhaps your front plate hole is large, but that could be cured with adding some sealant to the rim of the modern seal. Or if needed, shim and seal.

All the times I've used the modern seal it has to be tapped into place. Sealant around the metal rim helps too. Wouldn't use the old time felt and brass shield, that repro shield isn't made well anymore, used to fit, but for several years the rim dia. and the inner dia. are off. Modern seal is a big improvement.

Tap in seal add sealer  .jpg
remove felt.jpg
modern seal.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bill Coyle
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Coyle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 24067

Post by Bill Coyle » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Here's a link from a few years back.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1515271790
I remember, about 7 years ago, turning the end of a shaft and using it to expand the can of the seal a little so it pressed in snug. I think there was a little trial an error involved to get a good fit. I used a little sealant also for the best results.
Bill Coyle

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Tommy, Could be your seal size but also there were differences in the front plates. You can still probably use that seal but give the outer edge a little tweak with a needle nose to enlarge it. When you then install it add a bit of Ultra Black gasket sealer. Let it sit and cure. Your seal will be fine as long as you didn't damage the inside. You don't want that seal to spin..

While you have the front of the engine open this is a perfect time to also install a modern seal on your Crankshaft!! You can simply install one on the outside using that super Ultra Black stuff! There is lots of info and pictures available but with this seal you'll not have any oil dripping from the front of your engine.
I believe most guys say that you should remove that brass shield to prevent it from shorting out since you have a modern seal?

Good Luck
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Here is the difference in the brass shield.
0201211820.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:14 pm

Modern seals do often deem loose in the housing. I resort to fitting them with a ring of brass shim and RTV to make a good fit. Distorting the seal can make for further difficulties. Using pliers to open up the metal edge of the seal makes it far more difficult to fit. You are left trying to fit the larger size into the register, and the taper you have made works against you, unless you fit the seal inside out!

Allan from down under.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:00 am

Allan, That's a Very good idea and your right if the flange is tapered outward the seal may be difficult to keep in.

I prefer to use the proper sized seal but in this case the Ultra Black would hold the seal properly with out any mods to the flange.
IMHO
Thanks for your idea
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
tommyleea

Post by tommyleea » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 am

Thanks for all the ideas..Guess I got some decidin to do. I do plan on upgrading the crank seal also. Thanks again. Tommy
I think I just found a use for my unwound magneto coils! Shims...

bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Post by bobt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:51 am

ULTRA-BLACK

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic