Polish, De-ding Brass Windshield Frame?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Polish, De-ding Brass Windshield Frame?

Post by ivaldes1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Hi, I have a used brass windshield frame and am wondering how to polish it and take the dings out? It is numbered MT-5133 which might be a 1909-1912 window frame?
Attachments
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Polish, De-ding Brass Windshield Frame?

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 pm

The "MT 5133" is Mark F. @ Model T Haven's numbering system - has no bearing on year.

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Post by schwabd1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:50 pm

The easiest thing to do would be to find a musical instrument repair shop.... they can pop the dent and polish it up for you too. Another option might be an automotive paintless dent repair such as Dent Wizard. They have loads of different tools to push dents out. Any plating shop could do the buffing for you, or go to Harbor Freight and buy their buffer, (something like $69.99) and buff it yourself. You'll find lots of use for the buffer once you get one.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Consulting a brass musical instrument repair technician is a good idea, however, brass instruments are made in pieces so that they can be dismantled so the interiors of the pieces are accessible to the repair technician. I can’t see any way to pull the dent out without having access to the interior of the tube, through which you could push a piece of round rod in to force out the dent from the inside and carefully hammer the widened portion round. If this is not possible perhaps you can braze a drop of brass into the depression of the dent so that it is slightly higher than the top plane of the dent. Then the drop of brass could be ground down even with the surrounding surface of the tube, smoothed and polished. Jim Patrick

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:54 am

If this screen is for your speedster, I'd polish the frame and let the dings reflect the history of the parts. It won't be perfect, but then your speedster won't be either. You'd be better off concocting a far fetched story about how the dents came about to amuse any onlookers.

Allan from down under.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:58 am

I agree with Allan. Those dents are a survivorship story. Kind of like the ever present dent you always see in early horns outside the firewall...it's always from the hood being dropped on it in a hurry or just plain clumsiness. So what! It says "hey look at me...I'm still around and working"! Just polish it with Blue Magic and it'll look great.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:55 pm

He's a good tip when you decide to polish it. Get some Brite Boy metal polish and use it first before the blue magic or other good polishes.

The brite boy works much quicker and easy but doesn't have the deep gloss that the better polishes have. I find it at the janitorial supply places.

I like some dents and evidence of age like some others... IMHO
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:14 pm

As far as removing the dents a tapered mandrel with a slot for the glass channel could be pushed down and light taping around the dent while pushing the mandrel would take care of the sides of the channel. On the main or center portion where you can't get a mandrel in a piece of brass rod could be soldered to the center of the dent and used to pull it while tapping around the edge of the dent. The brass would need to be annealed first and perhaps occasionally during the process. Not a job for a beginner but it could be done. Sometimes lead is poured into tubes to keep them from collapsing and then melted out afterwards.
Food for thought.
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic