Problem with car running on battery

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JimKelsey
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Kelsey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Tudor
Board Member Since: 2010

Problem with car running on battery

Post by JimKelsey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Being far from a mechanical expert, I am unsure what to do so my car runs better on battery. I am running a 1927 tudor with a Holley carburetor and an Atlas exhaust manifold - the same manifold that I have been using since I bought the car in 2006. The car has never been a strong runner on battery but now it is backfiring and has difficulty keeping the car moving. It doesn't backfire on magneto and can get up to 40 mph on the flat and pulls up inclines just fine; but...it doesn't accelerate as fast as it did - I would say it is running at 90% of what it was this past summer. Any idea why it has no power and backfires on battery and not on magneto. Thanks.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Problem with car running on battery

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Simple, start on magneto and run on magneto. ;) The Model T was designed to run that way, in fact the Owners Manual even says to start on magneto. Could be a fuel/carburetor issues. Not opening the spray needle enough, not adjusting the spark lever to engine speed. The battery is there for the starter and lights and as a backup for the coils.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by PDGx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Check your voltage on the battery side of the key switch. Kinda sounds like you’re not getting decent voltage from the battery.
Do you see any green corrosion at your battery cable ends ?
Battery posts clean ?
Is the ground cable firmly attached to the frame with a clean connection?
If my short term memory gets any shorter, I won’t even have thought about what I’m going to forget.

17 TT Holmes Wrecker
22 Mack AC Tiltbed Wkr
30 A Rdstr PU
58 Mack B-61 Semi Tractor

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Just clean the timer.

Topic author
JimKelsey

Post by JimKelsey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:10 pm

PDGx wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Check your voltage on the battery side of the key switch. Kinda sounds like you’re not getting decent voltage from the battery.
Do you see any green corrosion at your battery cable ends ?
Battery posts clean ?
Is the ground cable firmly attached to the frame with a clean connection?
I will check the battery. You may be onto something there. It has been a year since I serviced the timer, too, so I will clean that out. Thanks.

Dean Kiefer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1926 Snowmobile, 1926 Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 16653
MTFCI Number: 15244
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Dean Kiefer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 am

If you have a wore out brass timer shield in that may cause trouble.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:35 am

Nothing wrong about cleaning out the timer, but the car as he says runs fine on magneto, not so good on battery. I would check the connections and condition of the battery. The back firing could also mean the switch might need attention, not a good connection inside when turned to battery. My experience running on battery is, while it will get up to speed, it's just not as fast and does not seem to have the same power. When were the coils last checked or serviced?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:46 am

Check the above. I will add a couple thoughts. Depending on what kind timer you have. When you run on battery, the spark comes as the roller, brush or flapper, (depending on the type timer) makes first contact with the contacts on the cover. If the leading edge is burnt away from sparking at the timer, it could be making first contact in a different place for each cylinder. When you run on magneto, the spark comes when the current in the primary coil reaches 1.5 amps. This would be somewhere in the middle of the contact.
Another and more likely cause of the problem is the adjustment of the coils. Some might only fire on a higher voltage than the battery. Since the magneto puts out up to nearly 30 volts as compared with 6 volt battery, you can see how this would happen.
I recommend that you have your coils rebuilt and adjusted by someone who knows how to do it such a person as Ron Patterson.
And if you find the timer to be worn, replace it with a new one.
Norm

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Has the coil box been gone through and rebuilt? If it’s still in it’s original shape it’s time to rebuild it. You can be really surprised how much better a T can run with all new wiring and new copper coated coil box bolts in it.
It’s the heart of a T’s electrical system.

Topic author
JimKelsey

Post by JimKelsey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 am

John kuehn wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm
Has the coil box been gone through and rebuilt? If it’s still in it’s original shape it’s time to rebuild it. You can be really surprised how much better a T can run with all new wiring and new copper coated coil box bolts in it.
It’s the heart of a T’s electrical system.
Yes, I rebuilt the coil box with new wood and cleaned up all the terminals when the engine was rebuilt in 2010. I also put in a new Anderson timer at that time. Working full-time, I have not had a chance to try out any of the ideas suggested. I do have two rebuilt Ron Patterson coils in the coil box. I also have a friend who has an original coil tester that I could see if they're putting out enough amps. Again, it's just getting the time to do it. I appreciate all of you taking your time to give me some suggestions to try.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:43 am

Keep us in the loop Jim. I'm interested to hear if you find the issue. :)
The 18 here likes to warm just a bit before he's a happy four cylinder. Bat or Mag. Then he's ready to go.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:28 am

I think Norm is on the right track. Clean up that timer and inspect it well. It wouldn't surprise me if you find bad contacts near their leading edge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic