Loss of drive - exact cause

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Loss of drive - exact cause

Post by TonyB » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Back in November, just before I left my beloved Barn, my coupe died just as I arrived home from a tour into the upper desert.

Initially we thought it was somewhere in the rear axle as through the transmission inspection hole we could see the brake drum rotating. As I was planning a move from Ramkna to La Mesa, I dragged the Coupe to a friends garage and we pulled the rear axle. Considering it hasn’t been touched for over thirty years, it was perfect.

So our attention returned to the transmission where we saw a potential problem. Once the fourth main was removed, the shaft which connects to the UJ was loose. Reluctantly I pushed the problem to one side while I completed the move to my new home.

On Sunday I started to remove the motor and completed the work this morning. Sure enough the eight rivets holding the output shaft to the clutch backing plate have all pulled out.
Eight failed rivets
Eight failed rivets
Separated drive shaft
Separated drive shaft
I have never seen this problem previously, anyone else seen anything like it?

I use a Watts clutch and the recommended stronger spring. Could it have caused the failure?
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Re: Loss of drive - exact cause

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:09 pm

That Sucks Tony. Was it a re-riveted plate?

Hank

Topic author
TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32

Post by TonyB » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm

I bought the coupe in 1976 and as far as I know it has never been tampered with over the years.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:49 pm

I have found a few with loose rivets, but never one that has failed like that. If there is no damage, it could just be riveted back together. I would suggest that the driven plate be further countersunk so more of the rivet is left to hold the plate in place. It may be that that plate was machined after a previous re-riveting to clean up the face/rivet ends, and a little too much material was removed.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:10 pm

I have a couple of re riveted plates in my parts bucket. They seem to be tight but I use one that seems to look original when I do a rebuild. In my opinion I wouldn’t use that one again since it ran loose for a while and could have wallowed out the holes just a little.
The plates are pretty common and I would use another one.
But that’s my opinion. It can be repaired and probably be OK.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 pm

I have heard of that a couple times before. Unusual, but it does happen. I know Ed Archer did that on number 4 about twenty to thirty years ago.
I also have had a couple driven plates with loose rivets. I always check them closely when I put an engine together.

Tim Williams
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Speedster, 1922 Model t Speedster project

Post by Tim Williams » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:45 pm

I have seen loose rivets, but never any that pulled all the way out. In fact the day before the 1996 SCVMTFC endurance run #36 had loose rivets, well no time to pull the engine then, so stuck a mig welder in there and welded the loose ones. that temporary fixed it enough with a clutch finger adjustment to complete the race the next day. Engine was pulled a few weeks later and new part put in.

Tim

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm

I was going to say the same thing happened to me until I reread that your coupe died. I sheared those 8 rivets but the engine kept running. Just pressing down on the clutch pedal had no effect...major surgery time and commo with Big Flats Rivets was in order. I just considered it a failure due to soft Metal age.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:17 pm

Be sure to check the driven plate where the rivets set. They are bad to crack there. Check between the holes. There are more with cracks then without. Dan

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:39 am

Sorry that happened, however, you were fortunate it happened so close to home. It would have been a real problem if it had happened on a long tour. Hopefully you can get it back to running order soon and into it's new home.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic