A Transcendent Moment Followed by a Sharp Warning

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

A Transcendent Moment Followed by a Sharp Warning

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 pm

I have only been in my new home in Klamath Falls, OR for about 4 months. I moved my business & two households myself with my pickup & trailer from Southern California, 725 miles each way. It was the crowning achievement of seven years of work to make it happen. As anyone who has made a long distance move late in life with all the "stuff" that has accumulated over the years will be able to guess, there is still much work to do. Stacks and heaps of "stuff" are cluttering the shop & garages and the work can seem unending.

I feel after so much work I "deserve" some play time.

I got a chance to buy a new toy that I had long wanted, a Model T Touring car. This one is a neglected older restoration of a 1914 with some newer features that is basically sound but needs a good going over to make a reliable tour car. It was not a great time to buy such a toy, but I really liked the car and bought it anyway.

After getting the car running, I had to take it out and see how it drives. Then after tinkering it needed more test drives. The car ran well and the test drives got longer. Soon the test drives became tours but without the gear any smart T driver should have along, things like tools & spare parts . . .

Yesterday I took the car out for another test drive to get it good & warm before dumping the radiator flush that had been in it several days. I drove south about 5 miles from my home to a farm road that connects to other rural roads where you can drive for many miles in serene peaceful countryside with nothing but farms & ranches. I love these roads and have spent hours on them "testing" the car.

One of these roads is Crystal Springs Road. It is mostly straight but has an S shaped bend with a bridge crossing a large duck pond. A few weeks ago while driving on this road I noticed a red tailed hawk gliding in formation with the Model T. It was very close, only 10 or 15 feet away. At first it was a bit faster then it stayed with me for a time finally alighting on a post.

I thought about this over the last couple of weeks and realized that it was a special moment.

Yesterday I ran the car over the same road. As I crossed the bridge over the duck pond a bald eagle swooped down to the pond surface and grabbed at something then flew up to a post on the shore quite near the road. Wow! I have often seen these eagles high in the sky up by Agency Lake some 30 miles north of town but I have never seen one so clearly or so close. I felt I was a very lucky fellow to by driving the Model T in such wonderful countryside and to be able to see what I had just seen.

I carried on with the drive and decided it was time to return and get on with the project of draining the flush.

On the return trip I passed over the duck pond again but my friend the eagle was not there. Less than a mile later, the power went off momentarily, came back on then everything died like somebody shot it. I coasted to the side of the road and realized that I had foolishly got out again with no tools at all. If I needed to tinker with something I would be up that famous creek.

I got out of the car and shut the ignition switch off then went through the starting drill. The motor instantly fired and ran normally. I have been cleaning electrical contacts and even had the cover off the switch to get all clean inside. The car has an E-Timer which in my experience is a dead reliable device. I do not trust the car now and will have to figure out how to make it reliable.

I let my enthusiasm to get out and drive carry me away without taking basic precautions but I will get up a touring kit before the next test drive.

The pictures were taken a few weeks ago on another one of these rural roads.
Attachments
Drive-Flush_06.jpg
Drive-Flush_04.jpg
Drive-Flush_02.jpg
Last edited by Hudson29 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: A Transcendent Moment Followed by a Sharp Warning

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:01 pm

There's something besides tools you should take with you. Since running out of gas just driving around the block I never leave home without my running board cans. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Not Your first Rodeo.

Post by Novice » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Paul. Enjoyed Your entertaining story. You have been a MTFCA member for 16 years so this is not Your first Rodeo You know the drill. But since moving to a new unfamiliar part of the country keeping Your drives in cell coverage area's and the towing company on speed dial might be advisable. Good luck with Your new car. sounds like Your off to a GREAT start.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:13 pm

And your observations of various wildlife along your tours with the top down just verifys why I too prefer the top down as much as possible out touring. You can't beat the view nor the experience. I do use my Fordor in cooler weather but even then I miss the beautiful sky view I so much enjoy in my open car.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Having been through klamath Falls, I know there are some very lonely long distances from civilization. Knowing that, I would suggest not going very far from home or staying in populated areas when driving alone in a Model T. Then take along tire tools, jack, and spare inner tube and spare tires and a pump. Also have a car which runs on either magneto or battery, and have a wire with alligator clips on both ends to hot wire things in case the switch fails. Other wrenches and tools are good to have. However, the part which goes bad will quite often be the one you don't have with you. So have a cell phone with you and insurance with tow service. Or go in groups with other people in different cars, and have fun. Also have on comfortable shoes in case you have to walk.
Norm

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Great Story Paul!

I could almost picture the bridge, duck pond & wildlife as I was reading it. Definitely a beautiful area up there. Here's to many more trips just like that one.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:22 pm

As it happens, I had just tanked up before this drive. I had a mobile with me with a company that has pretty good coverage in the area and my AAA membership is paid up.

I do have a set of the cans, an original set. I found that out when I removed them and found rust holes in the water can, some sort of oily sludge that was possibly oil in the oil can and varnishy fluid in the gas can. They are going to need some work to be useable.

When I decided to move to this area I knew i would be alone with my Model T. Coming from the comforting embrace of the Orange County Model T Club with my many friends that was always going to be a shock. I'm no great mechanic but hope I can cope with the jobs that come up. You on this forum will be a great helping hand.

Every day has been a joy here but there are down sides to everything. I'm going to need to be more self-reliant than before.
Attachments
First Tour_03.jpg
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 pm

Enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing.

Hope the car is fixed soon and you can drive to your hearts content.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Really enjoyed your story!
When I drive, all I ever see are vultures, circling.
Be glad you bought the car when you did. Who can tell when another equal to it will come along. I notice it has a very nice set of wire wheels, so you should have minimal tire trouble.
It must be in pretty decent shape, or it would not have run as much as you have already run it.
"Glitch" failures are hardly ever really serious, and you may very well have cured it already with the preventive cleaning of wire contacts you have already done.
Gee, the only way to know for sure is to take it out and drive it some more. Hmmmmm.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 am

What you described about your driving glitch, the on
-off-on skip and then off. Then after some checking the car restarting fine with the e-timer. I would check the timer advance rod. You are cruising along and a bump in road grounds timer on rod or something. Restarting the car you retard the spark and all is OK, car starts like normal.
I remember your nice 1914 touring being on many Orange County Ca T tours back in the early 1980's when I was living in Fullerton and working for AT&SF RR. I was club VP and did a lot of tours back then. My problem is that I remember more about the cars than who drove them at that time, so I don't remember who owned it.
I am planning to move from Fresno Ca to Boise Id where my daughter and grandkids are later this year so I know about planning long distance moves. Enjoy driving your Model T and have fun reawakening it.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:55 pm

We have had a couple or real good suggestions for my tour emergency kit. Spare gas, a good spare tire & tube (I have one but have not checked so see if it is aired up) and a wire with alligator clips. I have not thought of the later but will include it. I will get a basic tool kit, a wrench to fit the demountable rims and remove the spark plugs. Some extra plugs & a spare coil make sense too. I carry split pins & bailing wire in the Runabout and those items will fit into the touring car kit also. I already have a jack and wheel chocks under the back seat along with a quart of oil.

Space is limited and I can't carry everything obviously. What do you carry or have seen others carry that proved useful during mishaps on these tours away from home?

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:59 pm

kmatt2 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 am
I remember your nice 1914 touring being on many Orange County Ca T tours back in the early 1980's when I was living in Fullerton and working for AT&SF RR. I was club VP and did a lot of tours back then. My problem is that I remember more about the cars than who drove them at that time, so I don't remember who owned it.
I would be very interested to hear anything you can remember about this car. Did it go well or have issues? I know something of its history but would love to know more about it. For example, there is no brake band. Why omit it? Sure it has a set of original Rockies but why not keep the transmission brake as a backup?

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:02 pm

OilyBill wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:54 pm
Really enjoyed your story!
When I drive, all I ever see are vultures, circling.
I guess I wasn't stopped long enough for the buzzards to spot me or possibly my pal the bald eagle was watching out for me that day . . .

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:46 am

Enjoyed your very descriptive story Paul. See to often U joint lubrication and enjoy your new environs in your T s
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Every time I have the floorboards off I fill the grease cup several times. I have a grease nipple that fits the housing that would make this job an easy one but it is still lost in the morasse from the move.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:51 pm

That's a great story Paul. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm in the same boat with my T. I've been "testing" it on longer and longer runs for the year and a half I've had it running and my favorite moments are much like the one you described. Being out on a rural road in an open Model T, putting along at the leisurely pace that my T likes (demands)...and seeing beautiful things is just about as good as it gets. I've been running without a spare tire because my tubes, tires and flaps are all new. I know that's going to bite me soon and I need to bring a spare and jack along.

The Model T forces one to slow down, physically and mentally and that's a very healthy thing. Seeing birds of prey, waving to kids fishing down in a creek, shouting "hello" to people on bikes then honking my ahooga horn, or sitting at a red light and having a conversation with the person in the car next to me....these are all things we've lost in the modern world of rolled up windows, cell phones and fast speeds.

The T gives all of that back to you. It really is almost a magical thing.
1924 Touring

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Passing a bicycle going the same direction I always tell them thanks for slowing down so I could pass.

I tell the horse drawn vehicles the only reason I pass them is they are the only thing I can pass.

The more you do to your T the more reliable it becomes. The more you do to your T the possibility of you diagnosing and fixing the problem along the road with no help and few tools increases also. I carry a spare tire, timer, spark plug, wire, a few bolts and split pins, basic tools, coil, jack, gas, oil, and water. If all that fails, I can turn on my cell phone. Glad to hear you are driving that T more and more. So many only get a few miles a year, if that.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 pm

You said it Don, the Model T is a magical thing. I have noticed for years that most folks you encounter while you are driving in a Model T have a smile on their face. There are always a few soreheads of course but most are charmed seeing a Model T putter down the road.

With the top down & a cowboy hat to shade the head life just seems more pleasant. Out in the wide open spaces with little traffic the mind can drift lulled by the wonderful pottering sounds as the engine chuffs along. The car chooses its best speed, this touring seems happy around 25 to 35 mph. The need to pay attention to the steering helps keep me alert.

I have noticed that cattle are very focused animals, there is not much that will distract them from grazing. When the Model T goes by & says honk, honk with the bulb horn that many will lift their heads and take the sight in. One of life's small pleasures.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic