I was warned about powder coating hubs and now...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

I was warned about powder coating hubs and now...

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:09 pm

After another thread for hanging, painting, and clear coating spokes:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18771 The big problem now is my powder coated hub top plate is stuck and won't go down to its proper depth. I read a warning about this phenomenon in the past with powder coating hubs. I've tried sanding off some powder coat but so far no go. I am open to suggestion on ways to deal with this?
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: I was warned about powder coating hubs and now...

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:17 pm

The easiest way to fix it is to remove the powder coat back to the edge of the spokes. You may have to do the same on the bore of the plate. These areas will then have to be hand painted with primer and enamel once the wheel is assembled, to seal out moisture.
The thIckness of the powder coat may also make pressing the spokes onto the hub difficult too, and you may have to remove the coat from the hub also.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:18 pm

To much paint or coatings causes this. Nothing new here. Use a file to remove the coating or enough to let the hub cover to slide down.
It doesn’t take much to make the cover stick.
Sometimes a coating of rust causes this to happen.
Clean off the hub surface and the inside of the cover. Use a light coating of lube to help it go down. It will go down eventually.
The fit is suppose to be pretty snug. It’s designed to be that way. To much paint and it won’t go.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm

The tolerance is very small. I had to file all of the powder coat off to get it to go on.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 am

Sometimes, a little common sense enters the picture!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 am

I agree with Allan except I would use a primerless paint and eliminate the layer of primer.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 pm

it is very easy to apply too much paint with powder coating. I have seen 5/8" round bar measure 3/4" because the painter got wild with the gun.
if you ever do any more you may want to look into a black E-Coat. This usually a primer which would let you assembly the hub and apply a top coat.
E-Coat will only apply about .5 mil or less to a surface. Thanks, Dan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 pm

I used Johnson’s wood wheels in Oklahoma and he mentioned that when I send the hubs and metal fellows in don’t apply heavy coats of paint to the metal parts and especially the hubs. Also just a coat of primer would do.
If the parts were painted it would make assembling the wheels a little harder to do. He makes the spokes to have a good tight fit and balances the wheels. He did a good job for me.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm

If filing, sanding or grinding the excess coating doesn't work - these will .... and any place it gets on
Attachments
rem.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:47 pm

Powder coating is overkill for a Model T and many applicators do not know what they're doing. Have to keep in mind when and how these cars were engineered and built...
overkill.jpg
overkill.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Mike Thomas
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Contact Powder Buy The Pound. They have a stripper that will take the powder off in a matter of minutes. Put some on a rag and just rub the part you want to remove. Very safe to use. Can be flushed down the drain when you are finished. Will remove powder coat and paint. I really like it.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:53 am

Ignacio,

I’ve never seen drawings, but experience has shown that it can be size to size between the hub and plate on a good day....so anything just causes interference.

Last time I did a set, not powdered, just polished, on a 15, it just would not go together so I had to make a plate jack out of long carriage bolts and washers ground to fit...then crank them together with the spokes in place, and when fully seated then remove and replace with the correct carriage bolts, nuts, and peen.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:28 am

And...the powder coat came off with multiple applications of Citristrip and a cup wire wheel. Citristrip turns it into a tarry substance that isn't easy to get off by hand. I didn't want to do my PPG Shopline for just 2 pieces so I did Krylon Appliance Epoxy. I think the powder coat looks really good because as advised it is thick. The Appliance epoxy not so much but the difference in appearance is slight. Hub bolts absolutely do not fit especially on the rears because you have: outside cover plate thickness, inside cover plate thickness, hub inside thickness, hub outside thickness, drum outside thickness, drum inside thickness. That's 6 thicknesses on all the surfaces so if the powder coat is on thick, hub bolts literally do not reach.
Attachments
IMG_0368.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun May 30, 2021 6:17 am

My rule of thumb with wheels is to apply minimal paint/varnish until the wheel is assembled. The metal bits are sandblasted, and sprayed/brushed with a black etch primer. This is a thin coat mainly to prevent rust until the finish oats are applied. The wood bits get a coat of Penetrol clear sealant. The wheels go together with just these two prep coats. Finish coats of black enamel are applied after the wheels are built, as are two or three coats of clear marine spar varnish to the spokes. It takes time and care, but I have never had difficulties with assembly.

Allan from down under.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun May 30, 2021 9:28 pm

taking the good advise offered on powder coating would have saved a lot of grief. At this point, I would leave ALL the parts in a 5 gal bucket of carburator cleaner a few days & strip em bare. Then apply a coat of rattle can flat black as a primer. Finish paint after assembly. If the bolts fit, they would have eventually loosened as the soft powder paint wears in.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Ignacio, If you are using a stock small drum rear end and your axle tapers are good, you could get a set of the longer hub bolts that are made for use with the double brake drum Rocky Mt brakes to make up for the extra thickness.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:18 pm

Ignacio, The longer hub bolts should work on the front also if needed.

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon May 31, 2021 2:46 pm

I’m a big fan of powder coated wheel parts, but you do have to make common sense allowances for the thickness, the same as painting. I use tinfoil and fine wire to keep the threads clean, and the bores clean, and my powder coater has a huge supply of silicone plugs to keep it out of holes.
The last set of parts I sent to Stutzman came back perfect. Even the hub bolts heads! I’ll never paint another normal T wheel, JMHO
Also, I’ve never had someone tell me my rims don’t look like plating. Maybe they are just being kind.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Tim
What was the powder coat color that looks like zinc plating? You have sparked my interest 😁

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:02 am

It’s a big industrial company and I just ask for silver. I’ll be in there this week, so I’ll ask.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic