brake/reverse external band adjusters

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

brake/reverse external band adjusters

Post by NU2theT » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 am

Thinking I might try these when putting the hogshead back together with the new Kevlar band linings, any input would be great.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: brake/reverse external band adjusters

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:30 am

Perhaps users of this modern repro of an original accessory can comment on successful use.

To me, adjustment of brake and reverse is more satisfying by removing the inspection cover, viewing lining or drum wear, most times revolve with starter slowly a few 'bumps' to also look for drum issues. The ratchet wrench tools are easy to use too. Plus inspecting travel as you tighten the nuts helps correct setting.

A lot of changes as the pedals must loose their shafts, and then the sleeves installed with tiny set screws to hold them. The welded tabs on the nut seem as a mechanical compromise. But again, have no experience. The standard Ford design in good condition serves for me ;)

8E4F40C4-39F9-4DDE-93D7-22379B26460A.jpeg
Last edited by DanTreace on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 am

I’d never use them. They are potential troublemakers. The tab that’s welded to the nut breaks off. Seen it twice in person and heard about it from others as well. If you are using Kevlar bands, there is no reason to add anything that makes adjustment more convenient. Unless you are a lousy T driver, the Kevlar bands will rarely ever require adjustment after their initial break in.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am

Yeh, to me it's better to "force" yourself to open the inspection cover once in a while, even if it's just for something to do.
It needs removed every oil change anyway, that way you can inspect (hence the name "inspection cover"), make any adjustments
that may or most likely will not be needed with those new bands once you get them where you want them, and of course to put in new oil. With the "new fangled" thingies, there goes the need to open the cover, and take a good look at what's going on inside. Just my stupid opinion.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:36 pm

i actually was first making this type of adjustable pedal shaft kits & selling to venders. improved design from a period accessory.
one of them texas part suppliers ripped off the design & makes a poor quality version as shown. just like those lousey, thin oil slingers that come apart. chaffins still sells my version. the tabs are heavier & welded better. also bent down, almost touching bolt. (thats necessary to not over run band ears). set screws are longer, use taper tap. very solid lock. i have had no negative feed back from MY product.
i built these for my own use initially. run them in all my t's & a few customer motors.

all good points being expressed.

the thing is, with kevlar, it makes adjusting fool proof. adjust reverse & low with motor running. when you hear the tripple gears start to change sounds. (slight engagement) back off 1/2 turn. perfect adjustment. more = drag. less= lost pedal motion. no way to brake a drum!! if you cant get an adjustment - band may be out of round, etc. i never install kevlar thru the inspection cover. bands must be perfectly shaped or there will be drag. then broken drum. adjust brake band the same way, but in gear with one wheel up.

cotton type bands are forgiving. you burn a band. kevlar are not. you lose a drum. for this reason i rarely install kevlar for a customer any more. when i was, i had a guy break a low drum , then a second one, despite my warnings. anyone experienced enough to change his own bands can probably handle kevlar.
dont get me wrong. i love kevlar. i run kevlar in all my t's. but, they are extremely UNFORGIVING. unless you install & adjust them PERFECTLY.

yes, once kevlar takes a set, no more regular adjustments. cant remember when i last adjusted my bands. 1 t went to above frisco & back for a national tour. so is been at least 3000 miles since adjusting.

and yes, one should periodically clean out the transmission screen. i, myself have been lax since i dont have to readjust the bands.
since i am not wearing out bands, i dont need to inspect them.
if i was frequently adjusting band i would feel the need to inspect. i think i will put this on my t to do list though.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:44 pm

As Adam said the tabs break off and you have to open the inspection cover any ways, just hope the tab does not drop down in and then you go fishing!

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Its unfortunate that shoddy knockoff parts infiltrate the hobby. my ORIGINAL PEDAL SHAFT KITS were designed for my personal use. they sold in a low volume & there was not very little profit to be had. i still sell em @ the 2 swap meets i do every year. the last sets i sold went to chaffins 6 years ago. chaffin shows my units in his big catalog. pix dont show the tabs well, but i can tell they are bent down and the mounting hdw is different. if one wanted a quality set ask dave about em.

shoddy incorrect parts have always plaged us. soft tripple gear bushings, sintered bronze spindle & drive shaft bushings, solid hyatt bearing replacements, viaton needle & seats that dont flow original volume & have a burr that damages the needle, argentina exh manifolds & nh carbs, etc.

Most recently-starter ring gears with the wrong threads. so you have to also buy bastard screws to match. correctly threaded ring gears are not available, & probably wont be untill this huge batch is gone. ( somebody doesnt understand the difference between 14-24 threads & 1/4-24 threads). glad i have a supply of good ones to get me through.

BUYER BEWARE. this forum should help by calling out the GOOD & BAD parts.

On the bright side, there are hobby assets like Larry Smith who have identified a need & produce a quality, correct replacement part always at the risk of being counterfitted with shoddy, cheaper parts

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:58 pm

What parts does Larry Smith produce?

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm running a Ford Faithful oil cover, so I have to remove the cover every so often to clean and flush it anyway, and it gives me a chance to look at my drums along with my bands... if I had something that made me more lazy, I'd be in trouble!!! :lol:

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:24 pm

larry prouduces a correct windshield seal, electric termimal block, an original nh needle & seat. & other bits. all i recall. ill have to ask him. point being, larry recognizes a need for correct, restoration quality part, researches, & has it made. thats a service to the hobby.
fun projects is another example of a guy recognizing a need & producing a quality product.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic