Congestion Road Signs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Congestion Road Signs

Post by Hudson29 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:08 pm

I have been enjoying my drives on the rural roads in the Klamath Falls area. I can put the car in high gear and drive for many miles with no stops or traffic. Only rarely am I passed by another vehicle and then nearly always the passing vehicle (more often than not a farm truck) is driven by someone who gives a friendly wave. Coming from traffic clogged SoCal this is a kind of automotive paradise. It allows me to relax at the wheel rather than fighting the constant starts, stops and close calls with moronic drivers of modern iron.

These roads are well surfaced, well marked and smooth. Mostly I see horses, cattle, sheep & birds. Once in a while there will be a small cluster of buildings, and often they are marked by a "CONGESTION" sign. This always strikes my funny bone & a few days I stopped the car right in the middle of the road to shoot a couple of pictures. There is no traffic so this is hardly an issue.

When I got back to the office and looked the pictures over I saw that the sign actually says "CONCESTION", even funnier! Since I have seen other signs that do say "CONGESTION." I just happened to photograph the best one.
Attachments
Concestion Sign_03.jpg
Concestion Sign_02.jpg
Concestion Sign_01.jpg
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Re: Congestion Road Signs

Post by OilyBill » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 pm

When the club I belong to meets at the Tubac, Arizona Car Show in January, we always meet up at the local "Cementary".
Our only assumption is that there are a lot of gangsters planted there.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 pm

I know there are some long lonely roads out there. One time we were going south on highway 97 and had dinner at La Pine. We were headed to Reno and thought we might get a room at Klamath Falls. Well soon after leaving town we saw a sign pointing to the left which said Reno and gave the distance. We took that road and it went to Highway 395 to a place I think was named Lakeview. Anyway, it was almost midnight when we got there. It's just a good thing we had plenty of gas, or we would have been in big trouble. Then we looked for a Motel and they said NO vacancy but there was a place called Fairfield Inn which had a room. We got a handicapped room and spent the night. Next morning we had a good hot breakfast. I said,"this looks like an assisted living facility". They said, that was what it was built for, but only had about 5 residents, so they rented it out as Motel rooms! Anyway, that was a road you could take in a Model T and not have to start or stop or use the gears.
Norm

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 pm

There wasn't the usual "NO PASSING" sign before the no passing zone just this one at the start of it. Scares me to think that it was needed. :shock:
Attachments
hill.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:55 am

They straightened out a side road near me, that I use to go to Grass Valley, and put one of these signs up there too. First time I saw it, I thought, "DUH! Of course a hill hides the view!" There is a side street coming in just beyond the top of the hill, so I assume that is what the warning is about. Still, think its kinda a strange sign!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Norm - That road you took out of town was 140, the main road east & west. My place is within sight of that highway just as it leaves town. It is indeed lonely. Lakeview is famous for an annual wild horse roundup & auction. There is actually quite a lot of fast moving traffic on 140 so I try to stay off of it. So far, I have found plenty of less traveled rural road that go where I need to go.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm

ECA681C1-CDF2-4DB9-912D-0F4B7A36B55C.jpeg

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 pm

I can't imagine why anyone would live in a place like L.A. if Model T's were
a big part of their life, but members here often relate fears of taking their
T's out, for all the traffic and nutters. Eastern Washington and Oregon are
wonderlands for the early car operator. 1000's of miles of backwater roads
to explore.

fairfield2.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 am

When did the congestion signs begin to appear? Going by the photos, it looks like an exercise in backside covering from here. You have been warned. There may be other vehicles on this road!!!!!!! Isn't that what roads are for? More madness to reduce the chances of being sued/held liable for some idiot's inattention.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 pm
I can't imagine why anyone would live in a place like L.A. if Model T's were
a big part of their life, but members here often relate fears of taking their
T's out, for all the traffic and nutters. Eastern Washington and Oregon are
wonderlands for the early car operator. 1000's of miles of backwater roads
to explore.

fairfield2.jpg
The big reasons are work, family & friends. Add to that all of the many things that big cities offer like unusual restaurants (my fave is Indian food) cultural attractions like museums and music. I play Model T era music on tenor banjo & tenor guitar. I used to play with pals in the SoCal area until the traffic became so bad we just couldn't get together often enough to be worthwhile. SoCal used to have a great vintage music scene, now much diminished from what it was. I will miss RagFest, the ragtime era music festival & Ticket to the Twenties, a roaring twenties 2-day festival where my Hudson & T were regular attractions.

Add to those attractions automotive museums & some of the best aviation museums in the world and you have a lot to like. When you decide to leave, there is a lot to balance. I made the decision to leave but I am fully aware of the costs.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:30 pm

Allan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 am
When did the congestion signs begin to appear? Going by the photos, it looks like an exercise in backside covering from here. You have been warned. There may be other vehicles on this road!!!!!!! Isn't that what roads are for? More madness to reduce the chances of being sued/held liable for some idiot's inattention.

Allan from down under.
I have wondered the same thing. CYA is likely but it is also possible that highway funds might be allocated to congested areas. Mebbee all it takes to qualify is to put up a sign . . .

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm

Patty and I noticed that in our area the county, townships, and state are putting up the signs that say "Hill blocks view" and the only reason that we can come up with is the groups are trying to spend their funding allocations so their budget doesn't get cut for not using all the budgeted money.

My grandfather always laughed when he saw a crew putting up a sign that said "Bump" . He said "They send out two trucks and 8 guys to put up one sign why don't they just have the 8 guys fix the bump!"
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm

The "Hill blocks view" signs are interestng. Here the equivalent just says "Crest", and we have to work out what that may mean.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm

perry kete wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm
My grandfather always laughed when he saw a crew putting up a sign that said "Bump" . He said "They send out two trucks and 8 guys to put up one sign why don't they just have the 8 guys fix the bump!"
Yes, I get a chuckle out of that sort of thing also. The county was always good for "featherbedding" of this sort.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:06 pm

In much of the USA some of the best roads for Model T travel are US highways (or former US highways) that run parallel to interstates. Coming down through Missouri on US 69 the fast traffic was on I-35, and it was mostly just the Amish buggies and me.

IMG_1961 copy.JPG
US 69, Missouri.

IMG_4082 copy.JPG
Former US 50, Kansas.

IMG_3445 copy.JPG
Old US 66, Missouri,
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Those roads look like the ones around here. It took me a while to get used to the idea that I can just stop right on the road and shoot pictures. If anyone did happen by there is plenty of room for them to get around. In SoCal there was always someone right behind trying to get by.

I found this wonderful cartoon somewhere on the internet and it really seems to sum up the issue of driving near urban areas:
Attachments
Model T Parade.jpg
Model T Parade.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic