Gasoline Oder

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
danungar
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Ungar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Center Door Sedan

Gasoline Oder

Post by danungar » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:40 pm

I already know what some on this forum my say, and I don't mind the smell myself, but it's permeating into the townhouse that I'm renting, and I fear it will linger after we're gone and we'll be charged to kingdom come to replace all the carpets, paint, etc.

I think my car may be particularly stinky and I already have some ideas of what can be done to mitigate it (replace the carpet where fuel leaked out of the tank for one), but am I going to be fighting an uphill battle? Is this car always going to smell like straight gasoline?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Gasoline Oder

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 am

There may be an issue you need to resolve. Reason for the questions: The fuel to the engine is gravity fed so you need to take some steps to stop the flow. All things fixed - you should not have any smell (may some just after the engine is shutdown.
I have assumed that this is about the Model T in your MTFCA profile 1922 Center Door Sedan

Sounds like you have a leak in the sediment bulb.
1. assuming that you shut off gas at the valve on the gas tank - does the petcock leak?
2. do you have a shutoff valve on the fuel line nearest the carburetor?
3. after you park in the garage is there any sign of leaking under the carburetor bowl.
4. wrong sealant used on sediment bulb
Pitch the carpet or if you need it wash it.
Attachments
cone.jpg
OLD Sediment Bulb.jpg
OLD Sediment Bulb.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:34 am

Might gas on the carpet indicate a 26-7 closed car with fuel tank in the cowl?

Allan from down under.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Gasoline Odor

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 am

There should be no odor. Chase it down and make it stop. The odor in your townhouse is not the real issue. It's the danger of fire that you want to address. A fuel shutoff at the carburetor is always a good idea.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Gasoline

Post by John kuehn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am

Model T’s are known to leak here and there. Especially oil drips. But a gas leak that you can smell isn’t good and shouldn’t happen. If you parked it in a closed garage it will really smell.
Replace what’s needed and add a fuel shut off besides relying on the sediment bulb.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am

Like others said, you gotta track down the leak first. If it's sourced at a device with threads, like the carb bowl drain or bowl nut, or the petcock on the "potato", get some Loctite 567 and judiciously coat the threads. It'll stop the leaks. I use it on all mine.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:11 pm

I hope you solve the problem. There is a limit to the amount of smell that is enjoyable. "All things in moderation". I've always enjoyed the hint of gasoline on my fingers at meals while touring but our coupe tank leak became overwhelming.
Rich
When did I do that?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:38 pm

Are you guys forgetting the open to the world vented gas cap? Even if you do get any drips taken care off, that cap is still venting to outside.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:11 pm

I don't know how the gas gets into the carpet. Do you park the car on carpet? If you have an attached garage with gas leaking, it is very easy to start a fire. Especially if you have a gas water heater in the garage. All leaks should be stopped before you park inside and if you can't stop them the tank should be drained.
Norm

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:38 pm
Are you guys forgetting the open to the world vented gas cap? Even if you do get any drips taken care off, that cap is still venting to outside.
Didn't forget it, just focused on gas getting on the carpet.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:30 pm
Mark Gregush wrote:
Didn't forget it, just focused on gas getting on the carpet.
I believe the carpet he refers to in the house is suspected to have absorbed the fumes/odor that's prevalent throughout the house. Just as your clothing might retain an odor of gasoline if you're working around its fumes.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
I don't believe the vent hole would "breathe" enough to emit fumes that the OP can smell even in his house.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Gasoline in the carpet will just burn. Gasoline vapor in the right proportion will Explode. Get the car outside!

Topic author
danungar

Post by danungar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that the car should not have a potent baseline smell of gasoline. I traced it down, and I'm embarrassed to say, it was extremely stupid... the gas cap was off. The odor has subsided considerably, but the carpets still smell. I'm going to try to take them to an upholstery cleaner to see what can be done, and have them replaced if that doesn't work. The car has shutoffs at the sediment bulb and the carb, and I always turn the fuel off at the carb when I'm not driving. Since I replaced the gas tank, fuel line, and carb, I've never observed any fuel leaks EXCEPT...my newly rebuilt Holly NH carb started doing this lovely trick where it spits fuel out of a relief hole near the air intake. I think that means the float valve is stuck, or the float is filling up with gas and staying open...UGH.

Topic author
danungar

Post by danungar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:30 pm

danungar wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm
Thanks everyone for the reassurance that the car should not have a potent baseline smell of gasoline. I traced it down, and I'm embarrassed to say, it was extremely stupid... the gas cap was off. The odor has subsided considerably, but the carpets still smell. I'm going to try to take them to an upholstery cleaner to see what can be done, and have them replaced if that doesn't work. The car has shutoffs at the sediment bulb and the carb, and I always turn the fuel off at the carb when I'm not driving. Since I replaced the gas tank, fuel line, and carb, I've never observed any fuel leaks EXCEPT...my newly rebuilt Holly NH carb started doing this lovely trick where it spits fuel out of a relief hole near the air intake. I think that means the float valve is stuck, or the float is filling up with gas and staying open...UGH.
For the record, my last Holly NH carb did the same thing. I thought I had avoided it by swapping it out with a newly-rebuilt one, but now that problem has come around to haunt me again. Is this common??? Could the cold weather (32 degrees F yesterday morning) have played a part?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Usually the cause of the float valve sticking is a bit of dirt under the valve. This can be removed and things will work out fine. However it can happen with too high float level, a worn or sticking needle, or the float leaking and filled with gas or sticking against the bowl of the carburetor. A gros valve can also be a problem. The carb should have a needle and seat. A viton coated needle is very good. one other possible cause would be the gasket between the seat and the carburetor body.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic