Frame Mounted Battery Carrier

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Frame Mounted Battery Carrier

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 pm

If using a battery box with a 26-27 improved car(coupe) what battery carrier assembly (the one riveted to the frame) is supposed to be used? The bottom strap on my original in my coupe, rusted out years ago, and the bottom strap was replaced with a non-authentic replacement that was welded in. Lang's lists a battery carrier (part 5051-A), but specifies that it is NOT for use with a battery box. Snyder's lists a carrier under the same number but does NOT specify that it CANNOT be used with a battery box. I have one of Larry Smith's battery boxes which I want to use, but what carrier assembly do I need and where can I get one, if not from Lang's or Snyder's?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Frame Mounted Battery Carrier

Post by Allan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Terry, you mentioned that the battery carrier is riveted to the frame. I'd heard that before, but our Canadian sourced cars had carriers bolted in place with 3/8" fine thread bolts with the usual castellated nuts. The frame rails are punched with 3 holes on each side, so the carrier can be fitted with the battery on either side. But it can't be fitted on the right because of the exhaust pipe. It has been suggested that all the frame rails we have were punched for LHD and RHD components, and they didn't become left or right rails until they were pressed into their U shape.
Perhaps the best way out for you is to replace the 2" x 1/8" strap which goes under your existing frame. That way you know it will fit.

Allan from down under.

TBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Obier
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 TT, 1913 Speedster (WIP)
MTFCA Number: 28973

Post by TBill » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 am

I bought a battery box from Lang’s and it fits my 26 Fordor battery carrier perfectly.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:13 am

My '27 battery holder was also rusted through. I bought a replacement from Lang's and it was identical to the original. I later welded in a piece of steel where the original had rusted and bolted it back in. I don't want to turn my T into George Washington's axe (It has had three new handles, a new head and two replacement wedges), so I decided to have as much of the car as it left the factory as possible. It would be nice if I could replace the two original rivets, but whether I leave the bolts or install new rivets, it still won't be original, so I'll leave the bolts.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:07 am

I'm only speculating here, but I doubt if the battery carriers were always riveted. I know by 1925 they were attached with two rivets. The ground strap still needs a bolt. Originals are quite easy to find. I would be tempted to go that route.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:17 am

I have 1/2 a dozen hanging in the container - shipping would be crazy due to it's odd shape !

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:58 pm

they are riveted on my 26 frame

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:09 am

In a way, what the Canadians did to accommodate L & RHD cars to be made on the same frame makes good sense. The frame blanks were all the same, the pressed channels were all the same so all the frames were the same. With US production being all LHD, all frames were the same, so riveting in the battery carrier was most likely quicker and less expensive than bolting it in. I presume there is one bolt on the left for the earth strap, and a rivet at the other two locations. Are the rivets the usual 1/4" size used elsewhere on the frame?

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic