White tires...where do things stand now?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
keqwow
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Cicciarelli

White tires...where do things stand now?

Post by keqwow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:46 am

I was looking at past threads and it seems the major discussion on this topic was back in 2017. I am curious to know where things currently stand with white tires? Suppliers? Did they fix the browning problem?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: White tires...where do things stand now?

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:08 pm

Never sure if the sites are updated you'll need to confirm with the supplier and on size

https://www.modeltford.com/model-t-part ... res/white/
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/Model ... s_c226.htm
From Lang's site
*These items are running on a limited production schedule. Once they are out of stock they will have a long lead time, any questions, please contact us before ordering*

NOTE: ALL WHITE TIRE WARRANTY, They require our new tubes to be used with ALL White tires.Our tubes have been tested and approved for use. Thus, they are acceptable under the terms of the warranty. (The cheaper versions have been known to cause discoloration to the tires). When making a warranty claim on the All White tires, we will need to submit proof to our manufacturer that new tubes were purchased and used in the tires.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

MikeSommers
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sommers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31711
MTFCI Number: 23889

Post by MikeSommers » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:32 pm

About three years ago I purchased 4 'NON SKID's along with the required "new and improved" tubes. For the first year they stayed quite pristine. After 12 months, I noticed a slight degradation of the white color. This degradation has slowly continued. As of today, they are an "off white", but to be honest, I am quite happy about the slight discoloration. My car is a '13 Touring, and I am not looking for a pristine trailer queen. I suspect that all tires that were made "pre coal black" lost their white glow as they were used and abused. The tires are still whiter than my teeth, so given that, I am happy. To me, a bright white tire detracts from the historical details that make a Model T such a magnificent machine.
Just my thoughts...
Mike

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Rick, best I can tell you is, regarding my white ribbed tires that are now entering into season three (with very thin tread I may add, but still good enough) I noticed yesterday they're starting to get that yellow-ish brown look a bit more than last year. Like Mike said, it's really not that important, nor all that bad looking. Oddly, they still photograph very white!! I have one full set ready for mounting later on, then when they're gone, I'm taking the advice of a vendor of whom I will not name who advised...."Tim, QUIT buying white tires!" :lol: Eventually good ol' Clara will go back to black.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 pm

When the Blockley tires came out, I asked them if they would be doing white tires, and they said possibly in the future.
I suggested that people who want all-white tires (Like myself) would be willing to have a more limited guarantee due to the fast wearing characteristics of white rubber tires, and that this would be an acceptable trade-off for most people who want white tires.
I have no doubt that if Blockley brings out all-white tires, they will be far superior to any other all-white tires that are out there. Even with faster wear, etc, and the possibility of discoloration, the Blockley version would be better than anyone else's.
So I am hoping they go ahead with all-whites, as that is what I want on my Model T, and also on my Brush Runabouts, which on my Brush Roadster, used the 30 X 3 tires originally. My other regular Brush Runabout used a smaller tire, and I don't care if that one gets all-whites, or just black rubber tires. It isn't that special.

Michael A
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Abbott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 C-Cab
MTFCA Number: 49918

Post by Michael A » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 am

Well done William, I suggested that to them months ago.
Maybe those interested in white tires do the same.
In numbers maybe they might consider.
Show car or driver nothing else looks as nice. Only my opinion.
I would purchase a set of five today.
Michael A

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 pm

I am not familiar with Blockley tires. Where are they made & what makes them special?

Over the years of reading old original auto magazines and seeing the ads I have noted that tires came in other colors than just white & black. Buff, grey & pinkish red come to mind. Some of these colors might be better than pure white for keeping them looking sharp?
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:36 pm

There have been several forum discussions of Blockley tyres (my spelling is a hint). In Google type MTFCA: Blockley. The short version is that they are made in Vietnam like all the other clincher tires but said to be of much higher quality. https://www.blockleytyre.com/

The last time I checked they cost about 35% more than Wards Riversides but less than most Firestones. I intend to try them when my current tires wear out. If they last 36% longer than Wards I'll be money ahead. More than 36% would be added gravy.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:49 pm

The website mentioned that they are safer than the regular Model T tires. This is certainly added value although I have to say that I have had very little trouble with the New Zealand made Firestones on the '23. One did have a blister on the sidewall & was replaced with one of the Vietnam made Firestones which has also been faultless.

I like the diamond tread look of the Blockley tires, they look much like the old diamond tread Goodyears that my '29 Hudson needs.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic