Buying/bringing a T from Canada T into the USA

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jaybee47
First Name: jay
Last Name: bolante
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31221
Board Member Since: 2015

Buying/bringing a T from Canada T into the USA

Post by jaybee47 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

What is the best way to buy and bring a T from Canada to the USA if one doesn't have a passport? Questions about money transfer and crossing the border. Can the seller cross the border without bureaucratic paperwork so that the buyer can easily pick up after the border crossing?

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Buying/bringing a T from Canada T into the USA

Post by FundyTides » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Canada/US land border crossing are presently closed, with the exception of essential workers, due to COVID. Even in normal times you cannot cross without a passport. Consult with a Bonded Customs Broker re the correct procedure to have a vehicle cleared through US Customs

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm

FundyTides wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm
Canada/US land border crossing are presently closed, with the exception of essential workers, due to COVID. Even in normal times you cannot cross without a passport. Consult with a Bonded Customs Broker re the correct procedure to have a vehicle cleared through US Customs
After the boarder is open: What if the Canadian owner drove the T across the boarder on a Tour and you happened to see it and bought it from him here would it make a difference, over formally importing it, when you went to get it titled? :roll:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Here is a link to a good article on the subject <https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/0 ... ted-states> Bringing an antique car into the US actually has less red tape than buying a more modern one as it is exempt from emissions requirements and etc.

I live less than an hour from the Michigan / Canada border. Driving or trailering an antique car across the border is no biggie, but you will need a passport or passport card for yourself and anyone with you. When the border is open again I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for proof of your Covid Vaccination but nothing is firm on that yet. Read the article as having the correct paperwork makes all the difference. If you lack it you won't get past the inspection area.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Remember if it is an American made T you pay no duty to bring an American made car home again.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 am

Check with your local DMV and ask about registering and title for a car bought with a Canadian title. With the US Canadian boarder closed the seller will not be able to cross as a private citizen at this time. Unless it's an original town car, couplet, or delivery car, there are plenty of model T's available here in the US without having to import. I have a Canadian built model T, but I bought it from a seller in the US. There was a scam involving importing a model T from Canada a couple of years ago on the forum. US buyer paid the Canadian seller, then paid a Canadian transporter, then paid the transporter extra fees to cross the border, then paid the transporter additional fees, etc., and never received the car. Didnt ever find out if the whole thing was a scam, or the sale was legit but the transporter scamed him.
Last edited by Humblej on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sullivan
First Name: David
Last Name: Sullivan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923

Post by Dave Sullivan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:03 am

I don't know about a Model T, but last year I bought farm supplies in Canada, and was able to go there and take delivery, hardly any different than normal. Dave Sullivan , Bellingham, WA

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 am

I went into Mexico and Canada many times with no need for a passport or other special papers. I think I had to answer a couple of questions when I came back. I went to concerts without having to empty my pockets. I arrived at the airport a few minutes before takeoff and just walked onto the plane. I strolled into the US Capitol off the street with no questions asked. Some people blame Big Government for the way we live today. I don't. I blame the proliferation of lunatics who are eager to give your all for their cause.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:11 pm

When my late Dad brought his unrestored original '23 Canadian coupe over the border in '05, the only border delay was answering the US Customs' agents questions about the cool car! The trouble came when he tried to license it. Everyone in the DMV whose job it was to know the answers to Dad's questions gave him wrong answers, demanding paperwork on top of more paperwork and fees piled on fees until he gave up and contacted our local US Representative's office in Buffalo. After that Dad had his registration in a few hours.As Tim said, it's really simpler to import an antique because of emissions issues and the age of the vehicle, but apparently not too many in the DMV are aware of that. If Dad had listened to the "officials" involved I believe the car would still be unlicensed and Mom would still be filling out paperwork and paying fees today.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 pm

R.V.Anderson wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:11 pm
When my late Dad brought his unrestored original '23 Canadian coupe over the border in '05, the only border delay was answering the US Customs' agents questions about the cool car! The trouble came when he tried to license it. Everyone in the DMV whose job it was to know the answers to Dad's questions gave him wrong answers, demanding paperwork on top of more paperwork and fees piled on fees until he gave up and contacted our local US Representative's office in Buffalo. After that Dad had his registration in a few hours.As Tim said, it's really simpler to import an antique because of emissions issues and the age of the vehicle, but apparently not too many in the DMV are aware of that. If Dad had listened to the "officials" involved I believe the car would still be unlicensed and Mom would still be filling out paperwork and paying fees today.
The DMV's often relate a "Model T" to one that has been converted to a Hot Rod/ Bucket T. So its best to have a dated picture of it (you holding a news paper with the date visible standing next to it). Realistically they likely have titled more Hot Rod T's and A's than originals - a picture of the engine will convince them.that its an antique
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:30 pm

Canadians who are desperate to winter down south have been using commercial carriers to take their vehicles across which is allowed as they are commercial enterprises. The people have been getting helicopter rides to an American border airport and reuniting with their vehicles. I don’t know what the carrier has to do or what paperwork he has to present but if you are desperate to get the vehicle some variation on this might work. As Canadians don’t expect to get vaccinated until maybe September the border will not be opening any time soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic