Steel top for roadster ???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
halftracknut
First Name: randy
Last Name: lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pickup

Steel top for roadster ???

Post by halftracknut » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:38 pm

Has anyone ever built a metal top on the ford top bows.. anyone have pictures? thinking of building a top that would be removable .....thanks

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Steel top for roadster ???

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 pm

I do not have pictures but pretty easy to do with 22 gauge mild steel. just use the old as a pattern or make it to your liking. the key is to use a safety hem on the edges. You can use cobra vinyl when done to give it a cool look. Most I did years back even had common sense fasteners on the back so you could remove the whole top.

Hank

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:25 pm

Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm

In the 1920's, these were known as California Tops.
I have one on my 1925 Studebaker. I have heard of them for REO roadsters as well, but have never seen one of those.
I have never seen one for a Model T, but it should be possible to make one, and I'm sure someone supplied them as an accessory during the Model T era, since virtually anything you can think of was available as an accessory. So one of them would be period correct, as well.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:25 am

When I was a kid, a local builder replaced the canvas to on his English Vauxhaull roadster. There were three separate panels with the joints lapped over the next panel behind. Painted a similar colour to the canvas, it was difficult to pick from the original. There's no reason why the same could not be done to a T.
A California top is a complete lift off top made to look like the hard tops on sedans. They are rounded and fabric covered, but have side curtains which either open with the door or roll up out of sight.
Fitting panels to the original top bows will make the top look like a standard folding top, not a fixed roof sedan.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic