Balance Beads

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Balance Beads

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:12 pm

I like Balance Beads. I don't know how they work, but a guy who works at a tire store told me they put them in truck tires regularly. I found on my speedster that they make a big difference when I drive over 35, the faster I go the smoother the ride right up to 60.

So I don't know if they would be recommended for a T that doesn't ride over 35.

The included stems are supposed to keep the beads from coming out if you let air out of the tube. The included caps indicate that the tube has balance beads in it.

The problem with installation is the constricted point at the bottom of the valve stem where it is attached to the tube. That area is not as large as the rest of the valve stem and can prevent installation.

I put the stem in a vice, just tight enough to hold it. Then I drill the stem with a 1/8" bit marked to not go deeper than 3 1/8" . That bit reams the bottom of the stem, and one has to be careful not to hit the inside of the tube. I go up, down, in , out etc. enough to make sure the passage is clear.

Then I do something that might not be recommended, but makes the beads go in easier. I use a 9/64" bit on the inside of the valve stem. I use a standard length bit and have just 1/8" held in the chuck. It wouldn't seem that 1/64 " extra would make any difference, but it cuts brass on the inside of the stem, maybe not a good idea. But, that is how I do it.

Then I carefully open the package with the balance beads, new stem, and new cap. Carefully becasue the balance beads are in a plastic bag and sometimes that bag has broken resulting in the balance beads being loose in the larger bag. You really have to be careful that these beads don't get away from you.

So I pour the beads into the bottle and put on the tubing for bead delivery, slide the tube on the end of the valve stem, and slowy pour the beads in. I have a small hammer to tap on the vice with, that helps get the beads through the stem.

Each tire took about ten minutes and I only spilled a few beads.
Attachments
DSC06689.JPG
DSC06690.JPG
DSC06697.JPG
DSC06698.JPG
DSC06699.JPG
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Re: Balance Beads

Post by jagiven » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:45 pm

I have them in my T. I noticed them working aroumd 20 to 25 mph

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm

I have them in almost everything I own, I love them. The only one I don't have them in is the 1 ton dually because I have Centra-matics on that one. They were purchased for my previous dually when I built it in 1994. I believe that was before Counter-Act Beads were made.

Funny thing with the Centra_matics is you can hear when they start working...It is about 22 MPH. Before that you can hear the beads rolling around in the rings.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Joss
First Name: Joss
Last Name: Sanderson

Post by Joss » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for the great recommend. The beads are used not only in semi trucks but heavy use in motorcycles. Great description.

Not only does the vehicle handle better but tires last about 20% longer. While not very important to T owners, fuel mileage improves about 1.5-2% as well.

A use many miss is they also work in 3/4 ton or larger pickups. Same improvement in tire wear and with no weights to fall off the tires do not need rebalancing. On pickups you simply toss the inside bag in the tire before mounting and use the special core inside the bag. Do NOT use the regular core.

I distribute the kits through wholesalers. Counteract has a great web site and answers most questions. If technical regarding antique autos they will have me call you.

Last, the single largest order I ever received was from the Rolls Royce - Bentley group in the United Kingdom for several hundred kits.

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:45 am

Here’s a great video explaining the operation. After driving 100’s of miles across 3 states these past few weeks, esp log runs downhill with the wind at my back like coming back from Red Rock in Las Vegas, I now understand why these beads are used. The shimmy of out of balance T tires and wheels can be a little scary at 50 mph...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

I’ll be installing 6oz in both my front tires when I get home this weekend.

Jeff
Attachments
71E87904-69AC-4D05-9790-8ECD6E45C4F9.jpeg
5D3325EA-47E3-4968-AE31-D3BF5CA58763.jpeg
97ECE2F3-CD6F-41BF-A6CE-D2124521D6B6.jpeg
58FCF425-D4FF-41D3-8A5F-6EF522E09677.jpeg
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:57 am

I have used the DynaBeads for years now and could feel the difference from day one, I think the different mfgrs are probably all the same. The DynaBeads use a ceramic material. I don't use any special valve core but also check my air pressure when the stem is on the bottom so any beads would be clear of the core. I had one tube that I had to drill out but found the vibrating from the electric tooth brush really helps to flow the new beads in.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Joss
First Name: Joss
Last Name: Sanderson

Post by Joss » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm

The materials are not the same. Counteract kits sold by the distributors use glass. They handle moisture a bit better than ceramic. All tires with beads should have a special core otherwise the core can jam open. To correct this would require removing and then reinvesting the core. The special cores also tend to leak less.

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 am

AdminJeff wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:45 am
Here’s a great video explaining the operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Jeff
Thanks for posting, it is an amazing video. I would seem to me that the beads would cluster in the pockets farthest from the center making the bottle even more out of balance, but obviously it does not work that way.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Wow Watch the Second Video!!! I'm glad I took the time to watch the videos! I've used the Dyna Beads for a few years an have had to replace some a couple of times after a flat tire. I normally use a vibrating tooth brush but next time I'll try the air hose method. So I wonder why it wouldn't also work adding a bit of air to the bottle? Great idea!

Thanks for posting!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic