1919 Model T valuation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
PorkKing
First Name: Liam
Last Name: Mitchell
Board Member Since: 2021

1919 Model T valuation

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm

I was wondering if any of y'all could help me put a valuation on a 1919 Ford Model T. Here's the description. He's asking $10,500. Also, any potential pitfalls to be aware of for something like this? I know it is going to need frequent work.

You are looking at a 1919 Ford Model T 3 door touring car! This is a very solid, older restoration, car. It runs and drives very well. Has a very rare speedometer on it. Could stand an new top. Give me a call so we can talk about how we can make my car yours. I feel that my price of $10,500 is very realistic for a collector car like this one with the potential that this vehicle has. Manual transmission.

Thanks for any help you can give on this.
Attachments
Model T 6.jpg
Model T 7.jpg
Model T 8.jpg
Model T 9.jpg
Model T 10.jpg

Topic author
PorkKing

Re: 1919 Model T valuation

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:52 pm

More pictures
Attachments
Model T 1.jpg
Model T 2.jpg
Model T 3.jpg
Model T 4.jpg
Model T 5.jpg

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:11 pm

$ 75 to 8500. The Tops going to set you back quite a few quid. Especially if you can’t do it yourself. Some, like me, would use the incorrect color to chew the price down further. I’m going to give you some advice you probably don’t want to hear. First DO NOT buy the car sight unseen and second DO NOT go to look at the car by yourself if you don’t know T’s. The speedometer might be rare and it might not. I leave that to others.
Last edited by Charlie B in N.J. on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm

I think $10,500.00 is a little steep. Body looks good. Paint is good but color is not authentic. Tires and spokes look good. Upholstery is rough. With the money you are going to have to invest in a new top, new upholstery, a black paint job and mechanical work that is currently unknown, $8,000.00 would be a more realistic figure. Jim Patrick

Topic author
PorkKing

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:16 pm

Good to know about the top. Charlie, are you saying that the top should match the body color?

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

No. The color of the body is wrong for the year. Should be all black.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
PorkKing

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm

About how much would a new top run me? Also, what kind of labor is involved in installing it? Jim, to be honest, I really like the green. I have a 67 Mustang coupe that was originally dark moss green, and that car has gotten me hooked on green! Black is classic though... Decisions, decisions

Topic author
PorkKing

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Also, what would y'all say are some common issues to have with this vehicle? Anything in particular to look for when buying? Any common maintenance, etc?

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Well, ....what’re you gonna do when you have a flat tire? You asked about maintenance. You don’t have a spare tire carrier for a rim
/tire
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm

We always say, it’s your car and the only one you have to please is you. If you like the green, by all means, keep it green. As paint jobs go, it looks to have been well done, but my value estimation still stands. Jim Patrick

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:42 pm

While not my first choice for colors, a friend of mine just sold a green 1918 T, their last name is Green! :D
That price is more at the top end and would expect a rebuilt engine, not over hauled, along with proof that the rear end has been rebuilt. The speedometer is not rare, but with the gear not meshed at the front tell me there is binding someplace. It has the stock planetary transmission not manual.
Over all, the car is what I would call ice cream special. Redone on the outside, cleaned up and made to run to do maybe a parade, local car show or wait for it...go get ice cream with the grandchildren. At least that is how I see it without real information on what has done mechanically. Personally I would buy a car more on what has or has not been done mechanically over body and top. If the engine, transmission, magneto, rear end need rebuilt, that is going to run into the $1000's.
Do they have paper work on the car to transfer ownership?
With out being able to see for my self, the wheel wood may be ok or not?
Does it run on magneto or just battery?
As far as prices, time to start collecting catalogs from the suppliers. Lang's, Snyder's Chaffin's etc
https://www.modeltford.com/
http://www.chaffinsgarage.com/
http://snydersantiqueauto.com/
http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303

Post by aDave » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Loose wire under dash - carb mixture control rod missing are little things that scare me because what you can't see may cost a lot.
You asked about top....close to $2,000.00 installed - unless you do the work yourself.
What has been said before...find someone who knows Ts to accompany you when you inspect it and tet drive it.
Find your local Club....make contact with some members (difficult with Covid, I know) - the more you investigate this car - or others, will save you from making costly errors on your first purchase.
Good Luck!

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:07 pm

I agree with everything that has already been posted. Over priced, old top, awful color, loose ends (missing details) one not previously mentioned is you can see the engine head and spark plug over the top of the floorboard. You would be better off paying more for a better car than this one at that price. $7.5k for this one plus $10k to make this one right, for $17-18k you could buy a really nice car that does not need anything.

Topic author
PorkKing

Post by PorkKing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks to all for your replies. Is there somewhere on this forum where I can connect with Model T owners in and around Birmingham, AL?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:07 pm

The color DOES effect the value, whether people like it to or not. The simple fact is, that if a collector car is painted an appropriate/correct color, it will appeal to many thousands of hobbyists and collectors that want their car to be correct. Any collector car painted in a wrong color, will only appeal to the individuals that want THAT incorrect color. The same holds true for many other modifications people make on these cars. Wrong year engines, wrong year wheels, improper upholstery, along with dozens of other things, will have negative impacts on how easy or difficult a car will be to sell, and in turn, its likely sellable value.
If one chooses to buy such a car because they happen to like it? They also assume the future likelihood of difficulties in selling it when that time comes. All too often, a person dies leaving such cars that they personally loved just as they were to families that had been lead to believe in a completely unrealistic value.
Current markets are in a state of flux. Some indications are that prices are heading back up. Many other people fear that prices may crash in the near future. I don't know and will not claim to know the answer to that. However, my personal advice would be to be cautious, but if you can afford it? Buy something (for a reasonable valuation) that you can and would enjoy for some time to come. And then ENJOY IT!
Recent general valuations? A black era (1917 through 1925) touring car in near top condition (not quite 100 point, not Stynoski award worthy) is worth maybe $12,000 tops. A very nice car, paint upholstery, mechanics all basically near top condition, maybe showing a few years of age, should be worth around $10,000. I really do not like knocking other people's pride and joy? However, this car is a step or two below that. Between the wrong color, and the decent and very usable (but not correctly done) upholstery along with a few minor questionable items, makes this car likely worth around what others have already said.

old_charley
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Ostergren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 cut-off touring/pickup: 1922 Touring car: 1921 TT Dump Truck
MTFCA Number: 8082

Post by old_charley » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm

One thing that has not been pointed out (unless I missed it) is that the body on this Model T is not a 1919 body. It is correct for a 1921 through 1923 Model T. They are quite similar to the untrained/uneducated eye. There are also differences in the chassis in the way of the supports for the running boards and possibly holes in the frame rails that I can't see from the photos. The engine serial number could be helpful at least as far a determining the manufacture date of the engine. As noted, the color is incorrect. Plywood floorboards, incorrect. What appears to me to be a cheap, understuffed upholstery job. Any of this matters mostly to the extent that it makes a difference to you. As far as fair market value, my opinion, for what it's worth would be in the $6,000- $7,000 range, assuming that it is mechanically sound.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:56 am

I purchased a car similar to yours 9 years ago. It was the correct black, but had a tear in the top. I paid $11000 for it. It ran OK and I did some short trips in it around town. The first time I took it on tour the engine seized up. Had to get the engine rebuilt because I did not know how to do it. I should have joined a club, and asked for members help in purchasing my first car. Lesson learned. My car is also a an early 1920.
1920 model t.jpg
1920 model t.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 am

The green one I was talking about, went for over the asking price of this one but with a known tour and back history. The Dodge guys sure aren't stuck in the mud over color like some here. Not everyone cares if it is original color, many are buying because they want an old car that they can afford. If my 25 didn't still have the majority of it's original paint it would more then likely get painted bright red with black fenders. :lol: (AKA Redmodelt :) )
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 am

Liam,

If you go to the top of this forum and click on the Home Tab it will take you to the MTFCA website. Click on the About Tab then clickon the Chapter Tab. I listing of Chapters by state are in blue. There is not an Alabama Chapter listed however the Tennessee T's have many memberes in Alabama. I would suggest emailing one of the club officers who could point you to a member that may be willing to inspect the car and make recommendations to help you.

Also the Model T Ford Club International website lists the following:
Heart of Dixie T's​
c/o Vic Zannis
240 Aslan Way
Pell City, AL 35120
You will have to do some detective work to find a phone # or email but this is what I can offer.

Best of luck,
Dom

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:00 am

One thing I always tell people looking to buy a T is to automatically assume that they will have to rebuild/restore pretty much every mechanical aspect of the car because usually pretty much everything will have issues.

Stephen

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 am

I would say that the value of the car in no more than 9000.00. For me the color is wrong for the era of the car. Yes I know it’s correct to be black but colors such as wheat, grey and a few others would have been better since they would more era correct.
If the car is a good runner and overall pretty decent it’s worth the asking price to the right guy. BUT the color will be a negative for more than a few people and will be a determining factor for a lower price.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am

If you feel that the car is worth the asking price (to you) then go for it. If you think that you will keep it for a few years then get your money back - forgeddaboudit. I'm not a total purist, but I would want my T to look as close to original as possible. That T has the wrong wheels and tires for the year, and to most people the color would be a killer. If I were looking at that car, I would be figuring on the cost of a repaint as part of the deal. You may like the color, but most T enthusiasts won't.

Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bill Everett » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 am

Liam;

Two things:

1. When a forum member indicates some item on the car is "wrong", what he means is that it is inaccurate for the year of the car, that's all.
1A. When you're considering resale, those inaccuracies will depress the price you'll be able to sell it for, primarily because most T aficionados
value accuracy.

2. if the car is in the greater Birmingham area, I suggest that you ask Dan Hatch if he'll go with you to inspect the car. Dan is pragmatic and
honest. It's up to you, but I also recommend you offer to pay him for his time away from his shop.

I hope it works out for you and you enjoy it greatly.

Bill Everett

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:17 am

If you want it, do not say you love the color. With that comment will go much of your negotiation power. Even if you plan to keep it the same color, use our assessment regarding its’ incorrect color as a negotiating point. If he has owned the T for many years, he will know it is wrong and the Importance of color, authenticity and correctness to the majority of folks that may be interested in this T. That’s why he has given himself so much wiggle room. Jim Patrick

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:33 am

PorkKing wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm
I was wondering if any of y'all could help me put a valuation on a 1919 Ford Model T. Here's the description. He's asking $10,500. Also, any potential pitfalls to be aware of for something like this? I know it is going to need frequent work.

You are looking at a 1919 Ford Model T 3 door touring car! This is a very solid, older restoration, car. It runs and drives very well. Has a very rare speedometer on it. Could stand an new top. ...
Lets rephrase your question because it isn't about how much the car is worth but how much do you want to invest in this Model T. There may be others available for less. Is the car titled as a 1919 and have you checked the engine serial number to see if its close to a 1919? Remember your buying the car not the speedometer

My first impression is that the car is in a classic car used car lot by the vehicles in the background of the pictures. If the green paint on the T matches the Willies I'd immediately walk away from the deal.

So lets say you budget is $$,$$$t o get the car where you want it and all mechanicals will be 100% perfect after they are taken apart and inspected.
Budget - updates = what the car is worth to you

I'll let the others comment on the cost of the updates.
Inspecting mechanical systems $........
Repainting the T to a color you don't want to explain to 100's of people $.......
New Top $.............
New Seat Upholstery, you install $......
New floor mat $.......
Finishing wood wheel restoration (paint) $....
Labor Cost for what you ill have others do $.......
Contingency for unexpected needs $2000
Other?
The speedometer may register up to 75mph.
Speedo link (call for price) https://shop.classicinstruments.com/ste ... peedometer
MTFCA Install http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1292196239
tttt.jpg
tttt.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
ttttt.jpg
Attachments
tt3.jpg
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm

I feel that my price of $10,500 is very realistic for a collector car like this one with the potential that this vehicle has.

No, no, no. For that kind of dough I would expect a car in excellent condition. I won't repeat all the advice above except that it's a good idea to have an experienced Model T person go with you to inspect any car you may buy. Could there be something hidden that they would miss? Sure. But at least they would likely catch the obvious things you might miss. In the case of this particular car, a couple of hints in the photos suggest that it may be a parts salad with lots of pieces from different years. Some folks don't care about that, while some want their car "correct".

Here's a page on prices: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

And a page on buying your first T: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
PorkKing

Post by PorkKing » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:27 pm

Wow. Y'all have been an amazing help. It sounds like I may need to pass on this one. I've been looking other places and he definitely seems to be overvalued. Also, thanks for the tips on finding T owners in/around Alabama. This car is in South Carolina, so it probably wouldn't be worth the trip up there to check it out. So for now, the search continues! Again, I really appreciate all the tips and pointers y'all have given me.

Thanks,

Liam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic