Posting pictures

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Posting pictures

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:46 am

I am not usually one to complain nor criticize others, however, When they post pictures sideways it irks me. One recent poster posted many pictures in a row, all sideways. I think when people post pictures they should review before they submit, and correct the orientation of any pictures. I use a desk computer and would have to turn the monitor or lay on my side to look at those pictures.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Posting pictures

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Amen, brother Kling. Often the photo is sideways in the post but shows up correctly when you click on it. I agree that it should be correct in the post. When I have a picture show up sideways in preview (invariably a vertical format shot) I delete it, open the picture file on my computer, rotate it 90º (left or right doesn't matter), then rotate it 90º back. That makes it show up correctly when I reload it in my post.

Disclaimer: I post from a desktop or a laptop. I don't know whether my remedy works on "smart" technology.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:30 pm

You guys need to realize that not all members are as computer savvy as you and know how to adjust the pictures to be right side up. So why don't you take the time in this discussion to explain how to post a picture, rotate and size the pictures to satisfy your viewing pleasure..
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 pm

I find that resizing pictures is not usually needed here. The forum software does that automatically for most of the pictures I post. That's a big improvement over the old forum format.

I've posted lengthy, step-by-step illustrated details of how I post photos, but I'm not finding them with a Google search. Here's the short version of what works for me: https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3646

My procedure works on my Mac desktop and laptop. I don't know how it differs on other equipment.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:07 pm

Only time I have photo sideways is using the iPhone 8, but if before posting, edit the photo by cropping a tad, when it posts, its correct! Don’t know why, but works for me. And like this forum as photo sizing isn’t needed.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 pm

All my pictures are downloaded into My Pictures through Adobe Photoshop. When I put them into My Pictures, I rotate them as necessary. Then when I post them on the forum I go to My Pictures to load them onto the post. I can only speak for the way I do it, because there are many different cameras, and some take the pictures with a phone. There are also many different types of computers, so you would need a nerd to show you how to do it with your equipment.
Norm

tommyleea
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Russell

Post by tommyleea » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:26 pm

It irks me too, I think..My problem with the pictures, but not always is..They are correct initially, but when I attach them to my post, somehow they have turned. I tried to fix it, but didn't see any option to rotate. Tommy

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:29 pm

My iPhone sometimes wants to put up pics sideways. I have to fix them. I always preview my posts before loading them up. Sometimes they still come out sideways.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:37 pm

I find that resizing pictures is not usually needed here. The forum software does that automatically for most of the pictures I post.
Sadly no. There is enough frustration that I don't post as many pictures as I used to. It is too much fiddling.
(I use Windows10 on PC)

Frequently the file size is a problem (even if it is smaller than the image you just posted). I have to resize almost all pictures to quite a small file size or the system refuses them.

Then there is a mysterious file type issue. Not all JPEG images are equal it seems, even if they have been posted before, the forum system can take exception and just plain refuse to accept them on a seemingly random basis. Only a change to another file type like PNG will work for those 'refused' images.

As to rotating them? I usually orient the picture before posting but sometimes the system decides to put them back to how they were (the "Windows" reorientation does not seem to work always), so I found you have to open in an image processing program (app to younger folk) and re-orient them to, then re-orient them back to how they were then save them again.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Has anyone found a way with this software to rotate a picture when looking at your post in the preview? Hard to believe this software, as common as it is, would not have that function.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 pm

I tried to fix it, but didn't see any option to rotate.

Has anyone found a way with this software to rotate a picture when looking at your post in the preview?

No. If it shows up sideways in Preview I delete it, rotate it 90º and back on my computer, and post it again. So far that always works for me.

IMG_3808 copy 2.JPG
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Plankhill
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Doughty
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16 , 21, 24, Touring , 24 Roadster, 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 15143

Post by Plankhill » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 am

Too many people worried about form and not content. That's why some people won't post.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am

While I agree with Brendan, I respectfully suggest we start sending all of our images to Norm for posting. That will insure the irksome photos will be presented correctly. Sincerely, jb

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 am

Too many people worried about form and not content. That's why some people won't post.

There's nothing wrong with using good form with good content. I consider it common courtesy when I try to use good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The same applies when I post pictures.

I respectfully suggest we start sending all of our images to Norm for posting.

Very few of us need to. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jab35

Post by jab35 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:19 am

Steve:
I totally, 100%, agree with you. And I appreciate the effort you and others sometimes take to 'improve' images by sharpening, increasing/decreasing contrast, and in rare cases colorizing, etc. If someone takes the time and makes an effort to post an image, I'm grateful, even it's upside down and backwards. Much of the enjoyment I get from the forum is in doing some detective work on the pictures. Even if the post is imperfect I can learn from it. And I encourage Norm to do as some others do, improve the thing and repost it for everyone's benefit or enjoyment. jb

Topic author
Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am

Maybe, I should charge each one $1 per picture to straighten them out! It would be a good part time job. However it would just raise my taxes. :lol:
If you use the cell phone to enter the pictures, maybe you could experiment with turning the camera 45 degrees and then post. If it is upside down try 45 degrees in the opposite direction. When you find out which position correctly aligns the picture, then always turn the phone in that position when you shoot pictures. Worth a try.
Norm

jab35

Post by jab35 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:58 am

Norm:

You would make far more $$ with this if you donated all proceeds to MTFCA and claimed a huge tax deduction! Take care, jb

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:14 pm

My Galaxy S 8 phone will post pics right side up if I take photos with phone on its side. If I hold it upright ,the photo will be sideways every time.
Pixies are involved Im sure.

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359

Post by PDGx » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Agreed, I believe this forum assumes the photo was taken in landscape mode(wide), not portrait, which is also better to view on a phone or tablet when turned sideways, or on a screen.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming 🙄

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:44 pm

This portrait/landscape terminology for vertical/horizontal is new to me. I never noticed it until recently. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention since I got into photography in 1954.

img015 copy.jpg
I didn't realize I was shooting a landscape. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm

I am close to figuring out why some show up sideways. If you have posted a sideways picture I would appreciate it if you would email me the original It may have to do with aspect ratio, old TV's were 4:3 and the new flat screes are 16:9. The Forum software doesn't know what is right side-up or how a person wants their photo to appear - all it can do is use the dimensional information. The Forum software has parameters to resize images so they display or if to large rejects them. Most sideways photos have their adjusted dimensions on the forum to fit the 4:3 ratio.
You'll be a great help in understanding the problem. Thanks Frank
Attachments
pl.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:29 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 pm
I tried to fix it, but didn't see any option to rotate.

Has anyone found a way with this software to rotate a picture when looking at your post in the preview?

No. If it shows up sideways in Preview I delete it, rotate it 90º and back on my computer, and post it again. So far that always works for me.

IMG_3808 copy 2.JPG
I've tried what Steve said above and a sideways pic would STILL post sideways. So I gave up. At least they are correct when you click on them.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:54 am

Looks like one discussion about sideways images disappeared. I believe that there are two processes that could cause the sideways images. Both have to do with PORTRAIT and LANDSCAPE settings. Some phones take pictures in PHOTO mode which maintains a horizontal image regardless of the phones orientation. Some newer phones have a specific PORTRAIT mode which expects the phone to be in a vertical position. When a phone is set to PORTRAIT mode with the phone in a horizontal position I believe it will appear sideways when uploaded unless modified.
Another scenario is when a image is downloaded to an iPad images may be reorientated. The reason is that many iPads were design to view in PORTRAIT mode expecting people to read text (8-1/2x11 / aspect ration 4:3) and not video. So images that are downloaded to an iPad (resized or whatever) and then uploaded to the Forum may ave be adversely changed in the process.
I have downloaded one photo that a member added - resulting in a sideways orientation. I saved that to my Windows 10 laptop. When I dragged and dropped it to this reply it was rotated to the right 90 degrees.
This how the image was originally posted
hcct 2 orig.jpg
hcct 2 orig.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
I saved that to my files and then dragged and dropped it back to this reply and it was rotated 90 degrees
hcct 2.jpg
hcct 2.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Again I saved that to my files and then dragged and dropped it back to this reply and it was rotated 90 degrees
hcct 2  r1.jpg
hcct 2 r1.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Someone can try these to see what the results are
potrait mode.jpg
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:17 am

Another good reason to use a real camera. :D