Howell's Sheet Metal problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ElGranadaT
First Name: MARTIN
Last Name: SHERIDAN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 51336

Howell's Sheet Metal problem

Post by ElGranadaT » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:57 pm

Greetings all.

I'm new to the group and this is my first post. I retired last March and I'm now restoring a 22 T Touring. (Loving it!) I am hoping one of you might know if Howell's Sheet metal is still in business? I order about $2500.00 worth of parts from them on January 5th 2021. They told me the parts were all in stock and that I would get them in 3-4 weeks. I charged it all on my credit card and they collected the funds through my bank. That was the last I heard from them. Its been 3 months now with no parts or contact. I've tried emailing and calling them dozens of times, but no reply. Their website is still up, but it will not process any new messages to them.

I sincerely appreciate all the hardships going on in Texas these days, with power, water and most of all Covid. I hope that they are doing well, but I would like to know... Does anyone know if they are still in business? Are you having problems getting in contact with them also?

Thanks!

Marty -

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Re: Howell's Sheet Metal problem

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:07 pm

They are notoriously slow. Plenty of reviews on all the forums regarding them taking forever to deliver parts as promised. That being said, I have ordered parts from them in the past and was satisfied once I received them. One time they took several months. It’s a poor way of doing business, but they are the only game in town for a lot of items, and they know it.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Martin, I realize it’s too late now but it’s best to buy parts from them through eBay. If they delay the eBay order then you can get eBay to put pressure on them for timely delivery.
You might contact your credit card company to see if they can exert some gentle pressure.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Try calling them around 7-8 am in the morning. When I bought parts from them that was the best time it seemed to call them. But as others have said they can be notorious to contact and sometimes deal with. In some ways it’s ironic that they make most of the T sheet metal parts and they probably know it.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 pm

Marty, I live in Texas, and used to live only 90 miies from them. Since moving further in the opposite direction from them, I'm now, 250 miles away, so I'm not much help. I do know the Chickasha OK. swap meet is just around the corner and they usually are there. Maybe someone from California who plans to go to Chickasha, could look them up (they usually have a big display that's hard to miss) and make an inquiry of them as to the status of your order; there's nothing like person to person; face to face contact to put pressure on a vendor. Otherwise, do as suggested and call them early in the morning. The last time that i picked up parts from them at their shop, I was at their door before they got to the shop.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:20 am

There was a discussion about them not long ago. There was an indication that they responded more quickly to eBay orders.

This is a link to there on-line web site https://www.fordor.com/
and this is the link to their eBay Store https://www.ebay.com/str/09-40-Ford-She ... 7675.l2563
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
ElGranadaT

Post by ElGranadaT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:45 am

TonyB wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 pm
Martin, I realize it’s too late now but it’s best to buy parts from them through eBay. If they delay the eBay order then you can get eBay to put pressure on them for timely delivery.
You might contact your credit card company to see if they can exert some gentle pressure.
THANKS - Didn't know they sold thru ebay.

Topic author
ElGranadaT

Post by ElGranadaT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:49 am

ModelTWoods wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 pm
Marty, I live in Texas, and used to live only 90 miies from them. Since moving further in the opposite direction from them, I'm now, 250 miles away, so I'm not much help. I do know the Chickasha OK. swap meet is just around the corner and they usually are there. Maybe someone from California who plans to go to Chickasha, could look them up (they usually have a big display that's hard to miss) and make an inquiry of them as to the status of your order; there's nothing like person to person; face to face contact to put pressure on a vendor. Otherwise, do as suggested and call them early in the morning. The last time that i picked up parts from them at their shop, I was at their door before they got to the shop.
Thanks for the tip ! We're heading to Arkansas to see the granddaughter in April, now that We've gotten the vaccine- We may drop over there on the way. It sounds like nothing too serious has happened to them... just business as usual.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am

Was Howells sheet metal at Chickasha last year or before? Maybe I misread a post but it seemed like they didn’t show up or so I read.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 am

They missed last year, but have been there most years.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 am

I recall reading a post here on the forum, that stated that the person that wrote the post had personally visited Howell's Sheet Metal and was given a tour of the facility.

The poster made it clear that all the while he was touring the shop, the telephone was constantly ringing. When the person that wrote the post commented to the owner that the phone had been ringing all the while he was there, the owner replied something to the effect of, oh, we never answer the phone here.

Honestly, how can someone treat their customers by not answering telephones or not replying to emails and sleep at night. I know that they're apparently the only game in town when it comes to brand new sheet metal for a T, but really?
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Topic author
ElGranadaT

Post by ElGranadaT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am

Thank you to all for the great responses. It was good to hear the stories. I am looking forward to learning more through this club. Thanks especially to the person who suggested calling before 7:00 - I Finally got through- They did have pipes break and they were closed for 2 weeks. They identified it as an error in their shipping- and I was told the parts will ship today. I think they are doing their best considering the days we are living in.

Thanks again and best regards

Marty

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 pm

Like Fordwood, they do things in batches not one item at a time. When enough orders come in they make a run to be able to cover setup and labor cost. Several of the T parts suppliers list body stampings. I don't know if they have them in stock or are drop shipped from manufacture.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:46 pm

modeltspaz wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 am
I recall reading a post here on the forum, that stated that the person that wrote the post had personally visited Howell's Sheet Metal and was given a tour of the facility.

The poster made it clear that all the while he was touring the shop, the telephone was constantly ringing. When the person that wrote the post commented to the owner that the phone had been ringing all the while he was there, the owner replied something to the effect of, oh, we never answer the phone here.

Honestly, how can someone treat their customers by not answering telephones or not replying to emails and sleep at night. I know that they're apparently the only game in town when it comes to brand new sheet metal for a T, but really?
That was me. I bought the nearly perfect 26/27 turtle deck that they used as a pattern to make their replacement panels. They didn't need it anymore and put it up for sale on the old FordBarn site. This was sometime around 1997 ish if I remember right.

Old man Howell was just as nice as he could be....but he did say that about the phone.
1924 Touring

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 pm

Howell's makes ill fitting, incorrectly made parts. They have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. Once they have your money they won't respond to you.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:44 am

What Dan Allen and Mark Gregush said about Howell's is true. I, too, was given a tour and it is true that they schedule production to match a certain number of orders for a particular item; not one or two at a time. It is also true that, at least when I was there, they didn't have a secretary, "girl Friday", or even an answering machine and since it is a small shop, usually staffed by anywhere for 3 to 4 men, they don't have time to drop what they're doing every time the phone rings. That's why the best time to catch them is first thing in the morning, before they get production, going.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:52 am

As far as T sheet metal goes the pieces I bought from them worked pretty well for me. I learned years ago that all T sheet metal fenders, body panels, and etc aren’t made exactly the same. Ford used different body builders over the years and there are some small differences in them. I had to do a few tweaks here and there on the sheet metal panels but after it was done they worked well.

Topic author
ElGranadaT

Post by ElGranadaT » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Well... I was misled... Although I was told twice (once in January and again in early March) that parts were in stock and would ship 'that day'- I never got the parts.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 pm
Howell's makes ill fitting, incorrectly made parts. They have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. Once they have your money they won't respond to you.
Say this too loud and you’ll be promptly reminded you should just be thankful someone’s making “the parts” and willing to take your money.

Good luck to the original poster. I hope you’re happy with what you receive if you eventually get it.
1923 Touring

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Dan B wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm
Chris Haynes wrote:
Say this too loud and you’ll be promptly reminded you should just be thankful someone’s making “the parts” and willing to take your money.

Good luck to the original poster. I hope you’re happy with what you receive if you eventually get it.
I am not thankful for paying good money for a part that can't be used then ignored by the vendor when I complained.

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:11 pm

Just a thought. The small shop could answer the phone and have a great chat with each and every customer.
That shouldn't take much time as model T guys don't really like talking about their car much. All 10 of those guys will talk about the great customer service! Or..... don't answer the phone, bust your ass, and do your best to get parts to the 40 guys waiting. Might be later than the
the 40 guys wanted but 40 customers got their parts in the same amount of time as 10. I've never had anything to do with the company but
unless someone is going to show them how to do this right I would ease up. Or... you could call the other place making these parts and get back to us on how long it took for them to answer the phone. Just a thought.

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Retro54 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm
Dan B wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm
Chris Haynes wrote:

I am not thankful for paying good money for a part that can't be used then ignored by the vendor when I complained.
Pretty sure that was Dan's point. There is room in the market for new vendors... that is for sure.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 pm

There is a parallel here. For so long tyre dealers have provided junk beaded edge tyres. Now Blockley's have taken up the challenge and have produced quality tyres and really nice thick metal stemmed tubes to boot. We no longer have to be thankful that somebody is at least providing tyres, even if they are crap.

Allan from down under.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 pm

This has been kicked around more than a few times before. Maybe there will be somebody that take on the challenge of making sheet metal parts. It would be nice if there were other vendors to pick from but I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Until then? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:55 am

I’m amazed that this Howell thing gets leg’s every time it happens. There are naysayers, there are ‘oh well’, and there are the ‘they need to up their game’. Nothing wrong with expressing thoughts and opinion…but…pssst...wanna know a secret that really isn't a secret at all?

Howells doesn’t care…simple as that and THAT IS a part of their own deliberate business model! They simply do the best that they can do at banging out sheet metal, to their own timeline, and at the same time providing what to me has always been very high-quality work that at times can even be used 'as received'!

Does some of it need further subsequent hammer and dolly work? Absolutely...the same problem existed at Ford and Ford body suppliers. Will their left match your right? Not necessarily but it will match their right…so you can dolly it in, or have a body shop dolly it in, or, hey…buy a pair in the first place!

My own experience over now decades is…allow 6 months…you’ll eventually get it within that time frame. If you need it sooner have a bff that has a shear, English wheel, and a beading machine along with knowing how to use it. (Even in my early years, I’d spend nights at the late Dick Petty of Elgin shop using his gear to roll and pound out stuff that was close enough, and if I wanted better quality a box of donuts and bring over a bag of fresh ground coffee and Dick would actually show me his Stynoski skills in action! The man could make doors out of nothing and you couldn't tell the difference to a factory product. But he showed me how he left a secret mark to show it was 'repro' :) )

I am convinced that the normal Howells way is as follows. Someone orders a panel…none in stock. Howells waits for someone else to want one and then will make 3. Buyer #3 hits a home run and it arrives within a week after his order! Buyer #4 when he surfaces is now in the queue waiting for buyer #5 to come along, and so forth. Is that anyway to run a company? Howells thinks it is and, well, I don’t believe it is arrogance it is ‘their way’ and quite frankly the only game in town (Unless you have a best friend forever who has the gear and are willing to try)

I chuckle as I once was doing a job for someone and they decided they wanted sheet metal chunks replaced, and not bondo or lead infill. I explained to them how Howells works and it could take 6 months before I’d have the body work done. They gulped hard and said ‘OK’. I ordered the tin the next day…less than 10 days later the UPS guy was lugging boxes up the driveway to the shop. 100% complete order fulfillment! I just took it that like in my made up example…I was lucky customer #3!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic