Need some advice for Hershey, please

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Need some advice for Hershey, please

Post by Marty Bufalini » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm

I know it's months away but I've got to plan ahead.

I can no longer walk Hershey and need a golf cart or something. I've been paying the outrageous prices to rent a golf cart there and refuse to do it any longer.

I'll need either a golf cart or two single person scooters. My wife loves Hershey but I'm not gonna ride while she walks.

What do those of you who can't walk it do? Do you rent locally and trailer a golf cart?

Do you get a scooter of some sort? If so, do you rent locally and bring it? What make/model do you get?

What can I expect to pay for either a golf cart or scooter rental locally?

I'm in the Detroit area.

Thanks

REHelgeson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Helgeson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Farm Truck, 1926 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 31827
MTFCI Number: 25052
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Need some advice for Hershey, please

Post by REHelgeson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Marty, you might want to check with Hershey. It has been my experience that venues who have golf cart rental will charge you for bringing your own. A ride on scooter may be different. And you might get to bring a personal mobility device if you have a Handicap Placard. Never hurts to check all this out ahead of time.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Marty,

Check with your doctor and your health care provider. If the doctor writes a prescription or letter stating you need assistance with walking your health care provider may pay for the required scooter or cart.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

I recommend you go directly to the Hershey Region AACA website for accurate info. There is a FAQ section there that has full details. http://hershey.aaca.com/eastern-divisio ... meet/faqs/

Info from that link is copied below and was for the 2018 Fall Meet, so should still be valid, but recommend checking a bit later to see if there are any changes/updates:

"How do I reserve a handicapped vehicle?” ScooterBug has been contracted for the 2018 Fall Meet to provide reserved single passenger ECVs and double passenger golf carts for those guests who have a valid, state-issued handicapped placard in the state in which you reside. Guests can reserve this mobility equipment beginning June 1, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. Please log on to theScooterBug Website or call 800-726-8284 (then press option 1) for details on how to reserve your mobility equipment. NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DUE TO THE LIMITED AMOUNT OF EQUIPMENT THAT SCOOTERBUG HAS AVAILABLE.

You can also bring your own electric personal mobility vehicle (2 occupant electric golf carts and personal ECV’s only), which you must then register at the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium or on the west side of the Giant Center or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent.

Handicapped placards for your vehicle are required for parking in the handicapped areas.

”May I use my personal golf cart to travel around the fields? ” You can use your personal electric mobility vehicle–2 occupant maximum–(no gasoline powered vehicles) after it is registered with the Hershey Region. Registration sites will be located in the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, on the west side of the Giant Center, or on the Chocolate Field close to the Main Tent. Register by showing your state issued handicap parking placard.”

In 2017 I broke a leg in early August and wasn't quite fully mended by Hershey, so had to rent a scooter. It was fairly late in the game and Scooter Bug was fully booked, but I contacted a place in Harrisburg and made arrangements with them. There are numerous places in the area that rent mobility devices, and should also be some renting golf carts. The scooter I rented was much cheaper and I had it delivered to my hotel for a small extra charge. I was able to load it in my van, get it to the field, and register it around beside the Giant center no problem. Best thing was I could take it back into the hotel every night and plug it in for recharging. When I left for home, we simply left the scooter behind and the company picked it up on Monday at the hotel. Easy as could be. Might be more difficult with a golf cart because of the size, but you could always rent two scooters.
Drive careful and enjoy the event! Stop by and say hi, and bring old spark plugs for my collection.
Terry (GCC-5,6 Hershey Fall Meet).

Topic author
Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Perry, thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

Terry, do you remember who you dealt with and, if so, can you please let me know?

Thanks

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Marty,
Such vehicles come up for sale frequently. I have two single person mobility carts, one from a yard sale, one from a friend whose uncle died. I paid $100 for each, about 4 years apart. You might have to buy some new batteries and figure out how to transport them but it's doable.

I've used mine at the big airshow in Oshkosh as well as the OCF. Right now with my broken leg I use one to get around the house and out to the garage. Owning is cheaper than renting and you can use them when and where you need them.

Craigslist, want-ads, estate sales, etc. all are possibilities.

Good luck!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:55 pm

The company that I rented from has now become a part of Dynamic Healthcare and I don't know if they still rent scooters. The number I have for them is 717-657-2100 and the person I worked with was Val, at extension 135. I have no idea if that is still a valid number or if Val still works for them.

If you do a google search for Mobility Scooter Rentals in Harrisburg you'll come up with a number of companies to select from so you can shop around to compare prices and what kind of service they provide. There are probably also quite a few companies who would rent a golf cart for the week, but the problem would be hauling it back and forth to the swap meet each day if you are staying in a local hotel. Think about how you might haul a larger vehicle (or two scooters) and recharge them too.

The scooter I rented was a really compact single person unit that disassembled easy so it could be loaded in our van and transported with no problem. If you have a van or pick up truck it should be no problem hauling a pair of scooters around for you and your wife. That way you can travel around as needed to search for treasures. The little bicycle type basket on front is handy but fill up quickly.

Best wishes on this - keep us posted on you make out with arrangements and remember - no drag racing with your wife is allowed in the swap meet!

See you there.
Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic