Ruckstell Rear Axle Shifters and Cross Sections.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Ruckstell Rear Axle Shifters and Cross Sections.

Post by VowellArt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 pm

I promised Mark Chaffin I'd post in the gallery and post them here too. He's all about sharing of information so if this helps any of you I'm putting them here too.

Currently I'm looking for any pictures I can find of the axles themselves. I had them once upon a time, but they were lost when I lost my drive a few years back...I now got to go back and redraw everything I've lost (including these, because these are Jpg's and I need vectors to file). So if any of you have any pictures of the Ruckstell components out on your bench or garage floor (doesn't matter if they're gooey or not), I'd appreciate you posting them here so I can regain what I've lost.
1913-1925ShiftingTowerRusxellRearRearAxle.jpg
1919-1925RuxtellShiftTowerjpg.jpg
I had made this one with a color cross section in the corner, mainly because I had room. I also did it for the 26-27 assembly but as of yet I cant find it.
1913-1925ColorCrossectionRuxtell.jpg

The 26-27 shifter (what I call the Shifting Tower) is a bit beerier than the earlier model, although George Clipner has the early shifter on his 1926 and it seems to work fine. Why the 26-27 needs one like this I've no idea, maybe Dave Little or Mark Chaffin can explain that, me I'm just the guy drawing them.
1926-1927ShiftingTowerRusxellRearAxle.jpg
1926-1927ColorCrossectionRuxtell.jpg
Fun never quits!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Ruckstell Rear Axle Shifters and Cross Sections.

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Thank you.
Norm

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Nice work!

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:05 am

Couple observations. I don't think the pins extend thru the shifting fork in the early shifter. Also there is no inner Hyatt bearing on the Ruckstell side of the axle housing for either the early or late model.

RGould1910
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am

Also noticed there should be a fiber washer illustrated inside the bell housing on the Ford side between the inner surface of the housing and the triple gear carrier. I believe Chaffin calls for a metal washer in that area but Ruckstell used a fiber washer.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:25 am

He should learn the spelling of Ruckstell. Also, this doesn't show the first design made of brass.

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Richard, myself I don't know either, I ran these past David Little and he didn't see any problems at all with them although what you're saying makes sense. As for the washer between the axle shafts, probably Ruckstell used whatever was inside the Ford axle a much as he could and that would be of course the fiber disc. Whether or not it is metal or fiber doesn't matter in this case, the drawing shows the place where it is supposed to be, what it's made of immaterial. Now when I do the exploded view of (again) it is called out there what it is and it's part number.

Larry, you're right on the drawings (which are more than 3 years old), the name Ruckstell is spelt incorrectly, but you'll notice that the title of this post it is spelled correctly. At that time I didn't know how the bloody word was spelt, George Clipner corrected me, but unfortunately everything I had on the Ruckstell's (along with your Rockey's pictures and drawings) was lost in the Creek Fire before I could make any changes...the Jpg's were saved on a different drive which survived. At that time I used to save finished Jpg's on a different source drive so if something happened to the originals I'd have the jpg's as back up...wish I'd also saved the originals on that drive too...things would've been a hell of a lot easier...so now I'm left with having to redraw these and the axles (just like I am redrawing your Rockey's Larry) and just about every early drawing I made up to that time too. What I need more than anything is tooth count and pitch on the gears on the Ruckstell side of things, I know the Ford side, but I don't know the Ruckstell side...just a flat gear face so I can count them and see the pitch would be great, otherwise I could draw it from what I see in the cross sections, just wouldn't be detailed enough for an accurate tooth count.

As for the "early brass" one, sorry I don't know of such a one. The stuff I was shown when I went to Glen's place was the parts for both the 13-25 and the 26-27...which mostly referenced the shifters as I recall, the axles parts were the same for both. I could be wrong, it's been a long set of whiles since I took picture of those parts (like I did with yours Larry). Do you have pictures of the "Brass one"? If so I'd love to see them Larry.
Fun never quits!

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:25 pm

As for that inner bearing Richard? Hmmm, that's a good point, I'll ask both Mark and David about that when I get these redrawn. But you'd think there would be what with all the axial stress from the shifter near that point. I know there is no bronze or babbatt thrust washer there like on the Ford side, but I assumed that the inner Hyatt bearing would have to be there to support the axle.
Fun never quits!

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 pm

That's what the large radial ball bearing does Martin and the fiber washer Larry is referring to goes inside the large bell housing.

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:00 pm

Martynn, the job you do with these is amazing and I congratulate you.

I don't mean to appear to pile on, but the 1926 - '27 shifter on the section view of the assembly is in a neutral point. The spring-loaded plunger P117B would be on the right side of the toggle.
ruckstell shifter.jpg
ruckstell shifter.jpg (5.71 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm

Dan ok, I'll look into that...in the mean though, took most of today to get this one done...hope it is correct.

1919-1925RuxtellShiftTowerjpg.jpg
Fun never quits!

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 pm

Steve, you're talking about the smaller lavender housing not the large blue outer housing right? Isn't that what the pink flange ring is between the lavender and purple parts? I don't know what it is made of, but it is some sort of flanged thrust washer...I think. I've never owned one of these thing, so I really don't know what's inside one, I just went by the pictures I had back when I drew these...do you have a picture of what that particular part looks like?
Flanged.jpg
Any pictures of the innards of one of these would be a great help, especially so if you have any gear pic's...so I could count the number and size of the teeth.
Fun never quits!

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm

I have a complete clean unit that I can take apart tomorrow & supply you good photos of. I'm colorblind (thus preventing my earning a private pilot's license near 50 years ago) so I'll get my wife to look at the above enlargement - the fiber washer (not flanged) Larry referred to is a "cushion" spacer which current practice is to utilize a Ford steel washer #2529 & longer pins in the Ruckstell # P-159.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:00 am

Martynn, since you have to take apart your rear axle at some point to fix the mismatched parts issue, why don't you buy one of Chaffin's kits and convert your axle to a Ruckstell? Then you'd see for yourself what all the parts look like and how they go together. :)
Attachments
IMG_2669.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 am

I'd like someone to start making the correct fiber Ruckstell washer. I've had to custom make mine. I'll see if I can find an early brass Ruckstell shifter to take a picture of. I probably have one somewhere!
As far as the Rocky Mountain brakes go, I had the pleasure of buying a NOS set last year. The find of the century!

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:40 am

Martynn besides the.extra Hyatt bearing on the left side and no flange on the washer between the bell housing and the differential housing there is something wrong with the brass plate between the roller bearing and the open end of the bell housing. There is a large iron disc between the open end of the bell housing and the brass plate. It has the Ruckstell triple gear running on the inside. The ten long bolts hold the brass (bronze?) plate, the large iron disc and the bell housing to the differential ring gear. These two items are shown quite well in Marks picture of the parts.
So the item shown in purple should be two separate pieces.
The washer you show as flanged was originally fiber and I have never seen one. Glen decided to use the Ford steel thrust washers and it seems to work just fine. However it is flat.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Gear locking thrust plate(p145) is held in place with 3 pins Green part. Pin shown above axles. Bolt shown below axles. (no bolt there)
Between this lock plate & bronze plate is a blue thing. Spacer? does not belong. Lock plate rides directly against bronze plate.

My logic on that steel thrust washer vs fiber: Why would Ruckstell provide a fiber washer if steel was acceptable? Making a special part. When converting to rux there are already 2 extras. Rux's dont seem to lube well internally. have seen a lot of wear on the rux "castle" bottom to "bell" when that fiber washer was gone. Iron on iron. Will still wear iron on steel without the fiber. Have torn down units with steel washers, see wear most of the time.
For those reasons I NEVER use a steel washer there.

I make washers from .090 phenolic sheet. & thin shim if needed between washer & bell, like for setting non rux diff. clearences.

CudaMan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)

Post by CudaMan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Maybe these will be of some help?
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
ruckstell_cutaway.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Steve, don't envy you for being color blind, my father was also (which lead to some really weird discussions on what color to paint things), the only color he could see was yellow. So, everything he owned was of course Yellow usually with White as an accent color. Yeah I guess my cross sections would be hard to see then...it's just I hate cross hatch, although I guess I should make them that way too for folks with your particular problem.

Anyhoo, I would like to see your cleaned unit, Mark's is a good layout, but it would be nice if you could lay them out as they came apart, or just good straight on pics of the parts....on the cylindrical parts with gear teeth, both a right side and a top pic would be good, thanks.

Mark, I would love to be able to buy one of Mark Chaffin's kits, but as of now I just can't afford it (I live in Califunny and between that bloody gas tax and what it costs to own a house here, my retirement is just barely, making ends meet. I'm moving this summer sometime out of Califunny, at least that's the plan, lol, to Missouri (pronounced Missour-ah by the locals), hopefully it will be a bit less expensive and maybe then I can get one then). Hmmm some of the parts I've got in my cross section don't seem to be in your parts lay out...or if they are, they're totally different from what I was originally shown. What's that whitish looking disc above the cylindrical sleeve with the two gear ends on it? And where does it go?

Tony, Looks like I'm going to be doing some major rework here, blast, why didn't Dave Little tell me this long ago, when I could've made these corrections back then...oh well, better late than never, besides I intend to redraw these anyway, now I can redraw them and correctly, thanks.

John so you're saying that there is no bolt that holds this ring to the housing only pins? Ok so the smaller bolts hold the two halves of the pinion spider housing together? Those pins hold the 3 small gears that run inside the Ruckstell Ring gear and the inner (I think) Hi speed gear. Sooo, in that picture that Mark posted of the assembly as it goes together, that washer between the differential and the Ruckstell "Bell Housing" is the fiber washer you're talking about? That's the pink flange thing I've got, so, I'll just remove the bottom part of that and make the O.D a bit larger with the same I.D....ok, this is going to be fun! It's good to have folks like you guys to tell me what is and what is not correct. ;)
Fun never quits!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 pm

John so you're saying that there is no bolt that holds this ring to the housing only pins? Ok so the smaller bolts hold the two halves of the pinion spider housing together? Those pins hold the 3 small gears that run inside the Ruckstell Ring gear and the inner (I think) Hi speed gear. Sooo, in that picture that Mark posted of the assembly as it goes together, that washer between the differential and the Ruckstell "Bell Housing" is the fiber washer you're talking about? That's the pink flange thing I've got, so, I'll just remove the bottom part of that and make the O.D a bit larger with the same I.D....ok, this is going to be fun! It's good to have folks like you guys to tell me what is and what is not correct. ;)
Fun never quits!

Yes. Yes there are 6 bolts with castle nuts containing the spider gears & axle. Yes on the 3 pins. Yes on the fiber washer location.

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 pm

That whitish ring just above the P146 sliding gear is a Babbitt thrust washer that was in the unit when I took it apart. The unit I bought was a collection of mostly used parts that had been loosely assembled by the previous owner to keep from losing anything. I ended up taking it all apart and replacing most of the parts.

If you don't already have one, get a copy of the MTFCA Ruckstell booklet. It's too bad that Stan Howe took down his Ruckstell website, it had some great photos in it.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

RGould1910

Post by RGould1910 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 am

Art, in the enlarged photo above, you illustrate a flanged bushing between the inner surface of the large bell housing and the triple gear/differential carrier. Number 2. Ruckstell used a flat fibre washer. What you show was used in Perfectos, the forerunner of Ruckstells, as was the inner Hyatt roller bearing on the driver's side. Neither of these were used in Ruckstells.

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:52 am

Here are some pictures that I saved from elsewhere on the forum and maybe other sites on the web over the years.
Attachments
assembled_innards.jpg
assembled_innards01.jpg
assembled_innards01.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
assembled_innards02.jpg
assembled_innards03.jpg
assembled_innards05.jpg
assembled_innards05.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:54 am

More pics from various web sources:
Attachments
planetary_housing.jpg
innards01.jpg
innards02.jpg
innards02.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
innards03.jpg
inner_axle_bearing.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Mark, those are great! Now we're getting somewhere, oh, goody this is going to be fun! One more question, the Ruckstell housing is on the drivers side of the car right? Do you have any pictures of the interior of that housing looking from the differential side (without the differential or anything in it)? As you probably already know, I strive to make my drawings as accurate as I can, so if there is some sort of web, nook or cranny inside that housing I need to know where it is and if it will show in my projection. ;)
Fun never quits!

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:18 pm

How are these? The last pic shows a case with the P146 sliding clutch gear and P147 gear clutch plate set in place.
Attachments
IMG_8277.JPG
IMG_8278.JPG
IMG_2666.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Mark, those two notches in that plate on the last one are for position locking screws from the outside right? Is this housing on the drivers side or the passengers side? I'm thinking it is on the drivers side, but I'm not certain.

Also do you have a view of this housing with the driveshaft hole up, so I can see the elevation angle of the shifters mounting pad?
Fun never quits!

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 pm

Here is the straight on view you requested. Yes, the Ruckstell housing on on the driver side of the car and those two notches are for the locking bolts. The locking bolts have tapered tips that fit into the notches in the plate. The bolts have locknuts that lock them to the case once the bolts have been tightened into the notches in the plate.
Attachments
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_8279.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Mark, guess I didn't explain it very well, what I wanted to see was the angle of that mounting pad on the housing. It has to be seen from the side, whilst the housing is in the position you're showing.
Fun never quits!

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Sigh - what was it they used to say at work, "no good deed goes unpunished". Okay, I went back downstairs, pulled the housing out AGAIN, and took this picture:
Attachments
IMG_8280.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Mark, thank you, that's exactly what I needed! By the way, what is that step on the side for? Was it for a drain plug that never got drilled and tapped? Not that'll will probably show, just wondered what it was for.
Fun never quits!

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Hmmm, I never noticed it before. I looked at the unit currently on my car and it has the same thing. I does point straight down, so I suppose it could be drilled and tapped for a drain plug.

Has anyone put a drain plug there in their Ruckstell?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Topic author
VowellArt

Post by VowellArt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Mark, one pointing down wont show in my projection, is there another one on the other side pointing up? Usually where there is one their is also another on the opposite side as well....for RHD maybe?
Fun never quits!

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:01 am

The top side is plain, no raised boss.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic