Planning to buy a 1914 touring car for driving

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Planning to buy a 1914 touring car for driving

Post by bdtutton » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Hello,
I have had my 1930 Tudor for several years and I am planning to purchase a 1914 Touring car. I found a really nice one that has been basically restored to the way it came from the factory. This is good and bad because it has no brake lights, no Rocky Mountain brakes....etc.....

Here is my question. I am sure this would make a great show car because it looks original, but I am not interested in showing the car, I am more interested in driving the car. Besides brake lights, Rocky Mountain brakes and turn signals, what would be your highest priority to add to a stock 1914 touring car to make it safer and more usable driving on rural roads?? Ruckstell rear end? Seat belts? Water pump? Dual front wishbones?

Remember....I am not interested in showing the car...just enjoying it.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Planning to buy a 1914 touring car for driving

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 pm

Duel front wishbones? Yes. The early front end can under certain circumstances break into oscillation causing loss of control, and has in the past fifteen years resulted in several serious accidents and a few deaths.
A Ruckstell? Depends upon where you will be driving the car most of the time. Hilly areas? Yes Ruckstell. Flatlands? Not really needed.
Water pump? NO. Fix the real problem.

Whether you add rocky mountain brakes or some other accessory braking or not. Make certain they are well adjusted and properly maintained!

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:25 pm

Seat belts in an antique automobile? I wouldn't under MOST conditions. For a child seat? Yes. For almost anything else ? No. But that is me.
The fact is, that the car, the chassis, and the body are not designed for seat belts. Unless you have an engineer design and install them, they won't do much if any good. As for adults in an open bodied car? I would no more want seat belts on a motor cycle!!! If, somehow, you manage to flip the car? You want the thing landing on your head with you strapped in it?

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:33 pm

Demountable rims. You will have a flat.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:38 pm

Antique automobiles are wonderful things! They connect their caretakers to the world in ways almost nothing else can. Driving them connects one to the history and the world around them in unique ways. One becomes connected to the past, and to the future. One feels closer to the environment around them than they can in any modern transportation. The journey becomes as important as any destination. One develops an understanding and feelings for the importance of not just the basic facts of history, but of the people that lived those lives. One begins to care more about their own ancestry, the feeling of traveling in that new and incredible invention.

EVERYTHING in life involves risk. So an antique automobile doesn't 'protect' one as well as a modern cage on wheels? What one gains in understanding far outweighs the added risk of life and limb, at least I think so. I think the risk of living in those cages, and hiding in closets, the lack of connection, the lack of understanding? FAR exceeds the risk of injury one exposes oneself to by opening up to the world around oneself!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:47 pm

If you live or travel in an over regulated place like california you are MANDATED to seat belt or car seat ALL minors. In a FREE state I would not.
I would not install turn signals(unless required). My arm still works & I dont want ugly modern stuff on my T. A clean pair of rear period lights & use cowl lights in front would be an exception for me. RM brakes or small drum outer brakes, yes.
Double wish bone, yes. Rux is really really really nice, but not required as stated. Proritize it for later. Brake lite. Dont forget a good lighting system if you would ever be out after dark, be it carbide or electric. Spare tires, tubes, & tools.
Good luck to you.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Wayne S. You are soo right, well said.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Well said Wayne. One of my 7 T's has external brakes, the one with the KC Warford. The rest are driven within the limits of the car's braking capabilities, almost. I have split a pinion gear in a crash stop!
There is something ethereal about cruising down the road in an old car, taking in sights and scents and outside influences denied to modern car users. You learn to pick a path around the obstacles, to drive with an eye focused well ahead, to be aware of all that is going on around and ahead of you, and
the journey becomes the event to be appreciated. Just don't become oblivious to those behind you. Give them the courtesy of pulling over when you can, and let them continue their mad rush.

Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:23 pm

Ruckstell: good to have. Even better to have if you will be driving in hilly country.

External brakes: practically a must if you have a Ruckstell or aux transmission. Based on what I've read, I would go with AC's rather than Rockies.

Turn signals: I would use the side lamps for fronts and something T-era-looking for the rears.

Belts: not required in most states, but in my book a good idea.

Water pump: Forget it. If the original radiator no longer radiates sufficiently, I'd go with a flat tube recore. It keeps the original look and costs hundreds less than a new radiator.

Headlamps: I believe the gas lights of 1914 are better than the mag lights that replaced them in 1915. You may find them perfectly adequate.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:43 pm

The only thing I can add to the list is a rear view mirror. I feel that turn signals are important because most of the young drivers are not familiar with hand signals. I have seen them think that they are being waved around the car rather than your intention of making a left turn. Rear signals are more important than front signals.
Make up your own mind about demountable wheels. Many cars on extended tours have demountables.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:03 pm

I have a '14 T Touring with a Ruckstell. These cars are light enough that you usually don't need a Ruckstell. I installed one in my car for when I have to drive slow and there are lots of pedestrians like at the Old Car Festival where there are lost of people and they're all over the place. It's nice if you're in a parade too.

You will also want a very bright tail light and stop light for night driving. Imagine what a T looks like after dark on a country road. A modern car behind you could easily not see you or realize how slow you're going and run right into you.

Turn signals are also very good as way too many drivers today don't know what hand signals are. You have to be pro-active to protect yourself.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am

Converting to a starter hogshead is nice if you are getting up in aches and pains of a well used old body. You can still crank if you wish but you do have the option of just stepping on the starter switch when you have those days where age creeps up on you. Just my opinion. Frank

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:41 am

1) a toolbox, whether it's on the running board, under the seat, or in the trunk/boot
2) tools
3) spare parts
4) spare fluids
5) knowledge, as if you are the only mechanic within 100 miles in an urban area / 500 miles rural
Vern (Vieux Carre)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:26 am

I think all the ideas expressed above are good ones. I don't know the area where you live, but I will give you some ideas of what I do. I live in a semi-rural suburb of San Diego in the mountains. I am 11 miles from the city of El Cajon. So we have the old 2 lane highway between here and El Cajon and many other 2 lane country roads in a hilly area. I have Ruckstell and use for climbing and descending the steeper grades. Be sure to down shift before you start down the steep area. If you don't do that, you should leave it in high and put the gas lever all the way up and pump the brake. Do not hold the brake constantly or you could burn the brakes. If that does not slow you sufficiently then increase the gas and very quickly shift down into low with the pedal then when in gear push the throttle lever up. Also you can use the hand brake in an emergency. This could damage the engine, however might save you from a collision. Do not try to stop with reverse!
As far as seat belts are concerned, a problem is that the body sills are made of wood bolted to the chassis, so in a crash the body could pull away from the frame. If you bolt the seat belts to the frame, it could cut you in half! So if you do use them attach only to the body.
Now I don't mean all this to scare you, but that you should use caution and not think the "safety measures" can allow you to speed or drive less cautiously.
As far as turn signals. I do use stop lights and have converted the tail light to electric.
I also do not drive at night because the black car is hard to see at night and others do not expect you to be going slowly. You could use flashing red lights behind you for greater visibility, but as for me, I only drive at night in an emergency such as when I didn't make it home as soon as I had expected. I do, however, drive at night for short distances on tours such as from a motel to a nearby restaurant and back if it is a well lit area. On tours, sometimes we will have a caravan with a modern car in front and a trouble truck in back with flashing lights to alert other vehicles of our presence.
I don't use turn signals. I do use hand signals. To do this one must be careful, especially when changing lanes. Use rear view mirrors and be sure no one is in the blind spot when you change lanes. Right turns are not usually a problem because no one will pass on the right and you can be sure no one is coming and you have space to turn. Left turns can be tricky, especially when someone behind you thinks you are waving him to pass you. So usually, if no one is coming in the opposite direction, as I approach the corner, I turn into the oncoming lane for the last few feet before I slow to make the turn.
Anyway, I could write a book, but will stop here.
Norm

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:53 pm

My 1912 is stock I doubled the wish bone but from 1960 to 2013 it had the stock wish bone, it had mag lights installed in 1915 turn signals and a brake light and 4 way flashers the rest is stock . I drive it like a model T ,it will do 50 mph but I drive it at 25-30 mph and mostly drive on less driven roads . For the more high speed tours I use a faster car. Knock on wood since 1960 no flats, one rod bearing, and after 100 years the crank broke. So if you drive it like it was 1914 it should work just fine.
DSCN5704.JPG
DSC04724.JPG
Cheers from Winnipeg

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm

If one want's many improvements instead of buying a true car why not buy one already changed to your liking?? Bud. :D

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018

Post by Hudson29 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:42 pm

I just bought a 1914 Touring that was a neglected older restoration. The last few months have been spent working it up to be a tour car, there is still much left to do!

I recommend the Ruckstell & outside brakes even if you live in flatland. There are many times that I just drive in Ruckstell high rather than Ford high. Its perfect for quiet older streets where kids & dogs can rush out in front of you.

I will add a stop light, the law says it needs one & it might be of some value to some idiot not paying attention behind some day.

I have not bothered with seat belts for the same reasons others have mentioned. In a Model T your safety is in your hands with situational awareness. In this regard it is no different than riding a motorcycle. ASSUME the other drivers are morons and drive as if they will do something stupid at any time. Plan an out should the worst happen.

I have not bothered with turn signals either. In 25 years on driving antique cars I can think of only a few times when they might have been useful and they certainly look out of place. In SoCal where I used to live it is amazing how many drivers of modern cars have quit using them. I knew one man who never used them, he didn't want to "give away his game plan."

Some years ago a number of antique car clubs & aviation clubs used to throw an annual Victory Dance at Fullerton Airport. We had it catered and hired a big band and installed a dance floor. One year a pal arrived in a DC-3, talk about knowing how to make the scene!

One of my good friends & his wife came every year in a restored military Jeep. She was dressed in a great '40s outfit and hairdo & he in an ARMY officer's uniform complete with side arm. One year on the way to the dance my friend politely used arm signals as always. He had to pass through a rough area and one group of men in a car started displaying knives at the festive pair enroute to the party. What they didn't know was that the GI 45 in its holster was loaded and my pal was adept in using it. What had caused this uncomfortable encounter? The gangbangers in the other car had interpreted traffic hand signals as some sort of rival gang signs.

Even hand signals can be a mixed blessing! I use them myself if the situation warrants it.
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic