Modern bearing pinion setup what bearings are used and need demensions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Modern bearing pinion setup what bearings are used and need demensions

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am

Does anyone know of a published source or link to instructions for making my own pinion bearing setup? With the non adjustable one currently off the market, having some housings that would be good candidates for the conversion, I would like to try and make a couple myself. I know people have done this because I have had a couple go thru my hands in the past. Not being a master machinist, having instructions and parts list at hand would be great esp if it does not include machining the drive shaft. ;)
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Modern bearing pinion setup what berings are used and need demensions

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am

Try the original Ford setup. It's been working for me for over 60 years!

Topic author
Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Re: Modern bearing pinion setup what berings are used and need demensions

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am

LOL I knew I would hear this from you! :) Yes I know they have and it's great if you have an endless supply of good parts to pull from. The open housings I have are pitted and worn so will be good candidates for the conversion.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Re: Modern bearing pinion setup what bearings are used and need demensions

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi Mark,
It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy I can do that person out there! I don't think it would be appropriate to publish some ones instructions with out there permiision. I had the same thought you have about making my oun roller bearing spool ( also having some that are to pitted to use) The deciding factor was when I could not get the backlash set on the gears until I discovered the bore was off center by almost .010 " so every time I assembled it with a different shim nothing made sence it would not change the wat I expected. Once I discovered the offset I could set the backlash by rotating the spool.
You will definetly need a lathe and some good measuring tools. I purchased the bearings, split collar & bushing@ the local bearing house. I made the spacers out of a old rear axle housing tube ( it was a bent one) Once I had it assembled I cut a shallow grove in the shaft and ground the ends of the split collar so it locked into the shaftand could not just slide back giving it to little bearing preload. I would spend the extra time to indicate the spool
before starting so you will not run into the same issue I did with the one I purchased. Here is a crude drawing of the notes I made. Hope it will help.
Craig.
CCF04022021_00000.jpg
OK I give up turn your head!!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:30 pm

Did you anneal it before machining? What was the procedure?
I thought those spools were harder than the hubs of heck.

Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:31 pm

modern pinion.jpg
modern pinion.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Here is a pic of the parts

Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:34 pm

No I didn't have to aneal it.

Topic author
Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 pm

re tun on head, no problem, I just rotated my saved copy! :D thanks that will be great help. I am redoing my back plate so I can mount my 4 jaw. My 3 jaw is about .015-.018 out, ok when turning down a part but not so good if you have to keep a center.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:07 pm

Just put a core for an open spool in the mail today to Dave at Chaffin's Garage.

He modifies these spools for the modern taper bearing, next batch is at the machine shop being honed for the bearing, as stock bearings are a tad large, and he makes the non-adjustable. For me they fit fine, did the last one in Aug, next one is on the way. BTY, these are about 30 days out.....as Dave told me someone ordered 6 units and ran his stock out!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Before all of these replacements, when I was tooling about working tings out for myself, I modified an open spool to take two ball bearings. They were 1" internal diameter to suit the shaft and somewhat bigger than the spool. I simply machined the spool each end to accept the bearings and pressed them in. One was an angular thrust bearing and was really expensive. It worked, but may not be the best pratice.
Allan from down under.

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Post by Tbird » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 pm

I’m pretty sure Birdhaven is doing these I just sent them my spool and they put the modern bearing(fun projects) set up in it and sent it back within a couple weeks.

Richardbc
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Brisbane-Cohen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 tourer

Post by Richardbc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 am

Hi
You are correct Texas Parts have them, former Birdhaven however the freight plus swap of the old spool makes it very expensive from Australia, and they refused to seek me the components only.
I have managed to get all components, cone bearing timken and cup, the other bearing easy to get, I have made a spacer, used a 1inch standard lock collar, and the bush usually at the universal end of the drive shaft as the inner filler.
My spool is early, closed with bumps and a screw on top. I left the hardened sleeve in the spool, too difficult to press out, I thought, and I will insert a small steel tube behind the thrust bearing cup to prevent it pushing up the spool, locked in by the screw (extended to have more depth).
Your drawing, I thought, was excellent, wish I had it before starting!!

A couple of weeks before I complete
Richard
Perth
Western Australia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic