Putting a new top on a modelt Fordor

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bnchief
First Name: Steven
Last Name: White
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 73
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Putting a new top on a modelt Fordor

Post by bnchief » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:13 pm

i am doing a ground up restoration on a 1927 model t fordor sedan All the top wood is replaced. Since i am putting in a new interior the last thing I want is water damage or leaking. I have heard of using 1/8" luan as a base, since they did not use chicken wire i have also been told about using outdoor carpet as an underlayment as well. So i am asking what is a good way to re-do the top new and also make it waterproof, i assume the vinyl could leak but i do not know so I am asking here for help or ideas from people who do know I will be driving this car on tours so it can get exposed to rain. Thoughts and ideas appreciated as I am open to ideas and suggestions.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Putting a new top on a modelt Fordor

Post by John kuehn » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Have you got the headliner installed yet? People have put on the top and forgot about the headliner.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 pm

The fordor top does not need luan, chicken wire, or carpet. The top wood includes wood slats from front to rear that provide the top support between the bows, no extra base needed. Since you are doing the upholstery next, you need to put the headliner in before you install the top slats over the bows so you can get to the headliner from the back side. A layer of cotton batting goes on over the slats to provide some thin padding, then the top. The top will not leak so no additional moisture layer is needed. Lots of older posts about installing a new top on a fordor, do a search, it has been posted and reposted for years.

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Thank you John no the headliner is not installed i do know this needs to be done first

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Humble j thank you for your reply i know the headliner goes on before the top the slats are already on but would not be hard to remove and i understand why your points about the slats thanks so much.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Over the slats it is a good idea to add some padding to take out the likelihood that the slats will impinge on the vinyl top layer. Traditionally it was cotton. A better substitute is dacron sheeting, available from quilting suppliers. It is not affected if any moisture should ever get under the vinyl, and the sheet does not pull apart like the old cotton stuff. Stay with the 1/4" thick stuff so the top doesn't get that over stuffed, padded-round-the-edges look.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
bnchief

Post by bnchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 am

Alan thank you great answer the cotton is what had me concerned.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic