UPS is re-energizing swap meets

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

UPS is re-energizing swap meets

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 pm

Last December I got the annual 4-5% price increase notice from UPS. Result:

Carbide tooling inserts in one cardboard box, a 4" cube; weight, 3 ounces; value $125; shipped to western NY from Michigan: $22.00.

If you see something you want or need at a swap meet, better get it there, especially if it's heavy or pricey. The cost of shipping and insurance now can easily triple or quadruple the selling price.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Re: UPS is re-energizing swap meets

Post by Erik Johnson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm

I use the USPS almost exclusively.

Anything that is less than a LB and does not exceed the dimension limits can be shipped USPS first class package if you generate the labels via PayPal or the USPS website. Also, if you do generate the labels online, the postage is discounted. Otherwise the limit is 13 oz for first class packages if you buy retail postage at the post office counter.

Also, for packages over one LB, if you ship by weight and dimensions instead of using flat rate priority boxes, depending on the ZIP code, priority is less expensive than fixed rate priority and typically comparable to and even sometimes less expensive than ground. And, as mentioned above, the postage is discounted if you buy it and generate the label online.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:14 pm

A friend in South Dakota, bought a special dog kennel/crate in Colorado. It cost $43 to send that kennel/crate to South Dakota. OUCH!!!! Thank You UPS.

Topic author
R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pm

I do use the USPS often, more often in fact that UPS. Trouble is, after destroying a shipment, the USPS will deny any damage claim unless you have, not a receipt, but one specific type of receipt. Any other type, including a receipt from the manufacturer along with a page from a catalog, is "insufficient proof of value."

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:42 pm

I use UPS only for larger bulky or heavy stuff.
USPS is generally cheaper for small parts, but you do take your chances.
Without a new purchase receipt, even additional insurance is useless. Not sure if UPS is much better.
Packaging is everything....

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm

From personal experience, I agree that the USPS "insurance" is worthless if you don't have a store receipt for the item they lose.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Swap meets are fun esp if you are making sales, but for buying, also means coming up with a bunch of cash all at one time. Shopping on eBay allows the cash flow to be spread out. But ya, shipping cost has put a big damper on even that (or even buying from here for that matter) Any more it has to be something I really need to get me to buy.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:36 am

It costs more to purchase shipping at a FedEx or UPS location.
USPS has an on-line service called click n' ship and many services are slightly discounted using their packaging. BUT you can get sucked into using their Flat Rate Boxes, each box has its own price but is good up to 70 lbs but doubt if you'll do that. These are usually available at the Post Office for free. You can also order from them at no cost (delivered to you for free as well) Priority Mail "Flat Rate", "Regional Boxes A & B" or "Mailing Boxes".
USPS Regional Rate Box A: Shipments of up to 15 lbs. USPS Regional Rate Box B: Shipments of up to 20 lbs
There are many sizes of "Mail Boxes" and shipping is based on size, weight and distance. You can Franken box these, splice two together to fit etc. Example using their Largest Priority Mail "Mailing Box" (12"x12"x8") to ship 5lbs from Illinois to New York $14.95. If I used their "Retail Ground Service" and my box it would have cost $13.90. If the item would have fit in their "Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail Box" cost would have been $15.50 and it would have fit in their "Large Flat Rate Priority Mail Box" with a cost of $21.90. https://www.usps.com/ship/online-shipping.htm
I have hardly shipped anything UPS. The discounted FedEx Home Delivery service is usually cheapest to a Buyer on eBay
The following costs are based on a item weighing 5lbs Illinois to New York that would fit in the respect box or Padded Envelope (you can actually put an item in a box or wrapped in carboard and stuff it in one of these for shipping!)
Attachments
USPS 1.jpg
usps2.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic