Buying my first Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Buying my first Model T

Post by bdtutton » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Hello,
I love old cars and drive my 1930 Model A at least 5000 miles every year. I am planning to buy a 1914 Model T touring, but I am still trying to figure out how much these old cars are worth. The comment I keep hearing is that people are asking more for these cars, but they are getting the same amount of money for them. When I do buy a car I just want to make sure that I am paying a fair price and the seller is getting a fair price.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thank you....

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Buying my first Model T

Post by Allan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 am

Bryan, every model T is different in as much as there is a wide variation in quality of workmanship, standard of restoration, mechanical rebuild etc, etc, etc. The best thing to do is have an experienced model T'er check over any prospect and do as much research into the history/restoration of that prospect. Then you have a base line from which to work. Just comparing advertisements will not necessarily give you a reliable indication, just as past prices may not. When you find a car that ticks most boxes, you can then work on what else may need to be done and build that into what you consider a fair price. Hopefully the vendor will be thinking along the same lines.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:45 am

The only thing I can add to what Allen already stated is that you need to decide on what condition you want it to be in before and after you purchase it. A fully restored National Award Winner in perfect condition is going to cost many more dollars than the same model year T in decent exterior condition and perfect mechanical condition but with a later model starter engine in it.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:51 am

I think this is still a pretty good approximation of actual Model T prices paid, not what some sellers wish for.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:21 am

Steve. I don’t know when that Model T values piece was compiled, but I believe it is somewhat out of date. I think that it was true 10 years and even 5 years ago, but I think values are higher now on many of those categories. Unfortunately, Model T people are our own worst enemy when it comes to valuing our T’s. Most people that know nothing about Model T’s automatically assume that they are worth much more than what we value them for. Like anything, a Model T is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If someone thinks my very nicely restored 1926 Model T coupe is worth $20,000.00 I would not dissuade him from buying it for that, even though a T person would not pay more than $12,000.00 for it even though it took 2 entire years and much more than $20,000.00 in labor, services and materials to get it that way. We need to be more realistic about the true value of our T’s and stop keeping their values so consistently low by undervaluing them so drastically. Jim Patrick

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Buying my first Model T

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 am

Hi Bryan 👋

It looks like you are in Michigan ?

Get a friend or two that are familiar with
Model T’s.

Check around your area - Facebook Marketplace
always has great deals.

Come to Homecoming in Richmond, Indiana.

There are usually cars for sale there.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 am

With the exception of some brass-era cars, a Model T will not bring as much money an an A of the same body style in the same condition. The A has significantly better performance and brakes, and is a more drivable car. As a practical matter a stock T is a 35 mph vehicle. Typically the older the T is, the more money it will bring compared to a later T in the same condition. As has been said, a smart buyer will bring someone who is really knowledgeable about the Model T with you. The newest Model T is 94 years old and it is likely that a lot of different pairs of hands have worked on it. If you are looking for a driver, that may not make much difference to you, but if you are planning to show it, you could end up replacing a lot of perfectly good but incorrect parts for the year of the car. Some features that are great in the eyes of some are not-so-great in the eyes of others. Distributor conversions are one of those features. I know Model T people who love the distributor-equipped cars; to me an operating magneto is a part of what makes a T a T. In any event - welcome to the affliction!

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:08 pm

It seems there are a lot of variables to consider....including buyer preference.
I guess the things that matter most are engine, driveline, body and paint. Even paint can be a big variable....do you like black, blue or red?

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm

...do you like black, blue or red?

...and do you want it stock, or customized?
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:28 pm

bdtutton wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:08 pm
It seems there are a lot of variables to consider....including buyer preference.
I guess the things that matter most are engine, driveline, body and paint. Even paint can be a big variable....do you like black, blue or red?
Here is one for sale in California so add shipping + modestly fixing it up. Its listed for $14,900 wonder what members think of it/price as a beginning and what additional repair costs might be
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1 ... rnia-91108
There are many more detailed pictures just selected some for starters
Attachments
1914-1.png
194-5.png
1914-2.png
1924-4.png
1914-3.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:37 pm

Obviously the top and upholstery need to be done. The wheels and tires appear to be the later balloon type and are incorrect for a brass-era T. You are looking at about $3,000 or more to make it correct, plus whatever it needs mechanically. I wouldn't go that high for it, but that's one man's opinion.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 pm

So many wrong year parts. Seller doesn't know what year it is. Seller hasn't even the beginnings of a clue how to put the top up. Old restoration with too much wrong and too many unknowns. Without solid information that it is IN FACT a 1915, and in solid condition, that could have a few things replaced and corrected? The price is twice what that car is worth.

It does appear to have an over-axle wishbone, one good sign.

Be careful out there.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 am

Practically fifteen grand? Even in a Ritzy place like San Marino that's too much for a 1914-15-16-17 in that condition.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
bdtutton

Post by bdtutton » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am

They say you should always ask for more than you expect to get so you have room to negotiate.
This guy is kind of high, but there are a few out there that are asking double what their car is worth..
Some people tell me the actual pricing formula is (Amount Invested + Hours Invested) / 2 = How much you can sell it for
Just saying....

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:54 am

Fifteen thousand dollars for what is (obviously) a later "nineteen bitsa"... I looked at it about 5 minutes, there's so much wrong, regardless of what year car you're building, that you'll be into it another 10 or so to correct everything... I'm guessing you can sell the hodgepodge of parts and make some of it back (once you decide what year you want to make it into)... Interesting way of shooting the motor so you can't see if it has a generator or not... :roll:

The whole "It was built this way by Ford"... :lol: The parts were built by Ford... and other companies... over (from what I could see) at least a 5 (probably 10) year period. Sorry.

If you're looking for a Brass-Era T there are a lot better examples than this one.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm

Paint is less then 100 years. Wrong steering wheel. Head lights look to have been converted to sealed beam so could be later engine with generator. No photos of engine, rear end or under car leaves a number of questions unanswered, along with no serial number in the ad. The windshield looks correct, riveted to brackets and short arm hinges. Could have 2 speed rear end, but no info on that in ad. The body could be after the first few months of 1915 so can't be a 1914. You can see the head of the carriage bolt just in front of the back door, this post gives information on when that feature was used; http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/15067.html
No information on title. Depending on your state, titles if the car does not have one, can be easy or hard to get. Not all states will accept the titles form the services back east.
All this is a great reason to come here and ask or find someone that knows Model T's or if looking at different brand, has a familiarity with the brand to look at it with you so you know where it stands as far as what would be correct for the year and price.
That ad was written in my OP to pull someone in that does not know Model T's or the seller has no clue. More then likely it was bought on a whim and over payed now trying to recoup their loss.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm

bdtutton wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Hello,
I love old cars and drive my 1930 Model A at least 5000 miles every year. I am planning to buy a 1914 Model T touring, but I am still trying to figure out how much these old cars are worth. The comment I keep hearing is that people are asking more for these cars, but they are getting the same amount of money for them. When I do buy a car I just want to make sure that I am paying a fair price and the seller is getting a fair price.
Can anyone offer any guidance?
Thank you....
Well Brian, have you received enough guidance on the example vehicle I posted? So, if you find one best to post pictures in the forum and get a local T owner to check it out. They may not be experts on every detail but can at least take it for a spin.
This list was posted in 2017 of T clubs in Michigan
Attachments
MI T clubs.jpg
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Most of the Michigan clubs remain steadfastly stuck in the last century, but a couple have a phone, email and/or a website.

https://www.modelt.org/chapter-listings.html
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic