Scandinavian linings - no longer made?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Scandinavian linings - no longer made?

Post by JohnH » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:45 am

Time to reline my brake band, and order some other parts. Surprised to see Lang’s no longer list Scandinavian linings, and Snyder’s say they’re no longer made for 26-27, and out of stock anyway for the earlier cars. Just curious if Scandinavians are now obsolete and if they will be reproduced again. My other favourite linings, once made by Mark Automotive, seem to be well and truly relegated to history. I’ve got sufficient spares for now, but just thinking to future band relining.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Scandinavian linings - no longer made?

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 am

They haven't been made for at least 30 or 40 years correctly. Originals show up on line and swap meets sometimes however.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:48 pm

I had heard the looms on which the scandanavian linings were made on were scrapped, and that's why they're no longer made... :cry:

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:49 pm

I heard or read that here on the forum a few years ago. However the other brand linings such as Sears Allstate, Montgomery Wards, Mark, and maybe a few others while maybe not being as good as the Original Scandinavian were pretty good. If you can’t find the good Scandinavia’s that’s the next best ones to find if you still find them.

The reason being is that they were woven into a fine tight weave that’s close to what the Scandinavians were. That’s the main reason the Scandinavians were really good. The weave made a big difference. If you compare an original with the later repos you can readily see it.
Or that’s my opinion anyway.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:50 pm

I heard or read that here on the forum a few years ago. However the other brand linings such as Sears Allstate, Montgomery Wards, Mark, and maybe a few others while maybe not being as good as the Original Scandinavian were pretty good. If you can’t find the good Scandinavia’s that’s the next best ones to find if you still find them.

The reason being is that they were woven into a fine tight weave that’s close to what the Scandinavians were. That’s the main reason the Scandinavians were really good. The weave made a big difference. If you compare an original with the later repos you can readily see it.
Or that’s my opinion anyway.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Sorry, folks, but no matter what anybody says, cotton deteriorates with age. Cotton linings are like tires — I would not use NOS.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:47 pm

I beg to differ Steve - I've used NOS Scandinavia linings for over 30 + years in my 5 Model T's including my Racer - those have lasted over 30 years.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Steve T

I suspect that it all depends on how they were stored, humidity conditions, and age. The NOS I found in Florida were always about 2" too short from shrinkage, smelled a little foul (mildew) and were clearly easily picked apart...I would never use them.

On the other hand, if you're finding or have found linings which stayed in a relatively dry environment their whole life that sounds like a completely different story.

I recall a post about someone running their linings through a metal roller to regain the length lost to shrinkage...and the follow-up regarding their self-destruction upon use...that was enough for me to keep mine on the shelf for display.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 pm

The majority of these are original branded "SCANDINAVIA" & I always check them for "smell" as in musty - I don't buy those - these in my stock are all prefect to run. I've collected them for many years.

I do have a few sets from the seventies & eighties (way before "tar babies") when they were still the same weave BUT THEN, someone had the bright idea to shorten each lining nearly a 1/2" to increase amount of linings per roll (IMO) resulting in linings too short - original Scandinavia linings were 23 & 1/2" long.
Attachments
Scandi linings.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic