Modern coil

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan66zoomer
First Name: daniel
Last Name: craig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster pickup 1926
Board Member Since: 2021

Modern coil

Post by Dan66zoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:45 am

Hi everyone new to this forum ,,I am building a Roadster pickup 1926 in the UK ,, :?: my question is is can I use a modern coil through an atwater kent type h old style distributor ,,thanks for your time

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Modern coil

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 am

Yes you can Daniel, I would bypass the original condenser and use a VW 009 style either at the distributor or at the coil. Stand the coil upright if it is an oil fill type and away from heat for best results.

Hope this Helps,

Hank

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Modern coil

Post by Kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 am

Be sure to get a coil that is for points ignition, not for electronic ignition, as the Amperage of the coil for electronic ignition is too high and will fry the contact breaker points.
As you are using an old distributor i asume your car is still 6Volts, most 6Volt coils are not available for electronic ignitions.
If your car is 12 Volts be sure to get the right coil and matching condenser, the VW (Bosch) one is a good one and might fit inside the dizzy, if not you can mount it anywhere you have a good ground.
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic