A eulogy

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

A eulogy

Post by George Mills » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 am

Joe Lappin Jr passed away this week at 91.

Most don’t know him as he was more regional/local.

How was a hero. Out of nowhere at age 80, Joe decided he wanted to own and drive a Model T for the first time! And he did!

He found a restoration in progress in an estate, bought it and proceeded to have the restoration done-his way.

It was a 27 Fordor and the mechanicals were flawless and show quality. I winced when he decided to finish it Kelly Green over black running gear. I winced when he called Elizabeth and told her his first driver ever was something like a brocade in an Essex and could she cut him a complete set of that very material for his 4Door.

He finished the car his way and it was unique but also grand. He’d go around at car gatherings and tape empty balloons to windshields but mark them with a Sharpy “air bag”

He would just show up at my shop, “can I borrow a spark plug? “ and never stayed for coffee, later I’d find he had broken a porcelain. One day he showed up with his crank handle. What? His answer, yours if you want it, got tired of shin bashing, has a starter, don’t need it, took it off...it’s yours! Called me one time, said he had a flat, could I stop over? I went over 2 days later, car was up on all fours! How’d you get that done Joe? They are demounts and I wonder who else had a whirly gig? Joe answer, did it myself, tire irons! Get any pinch? Nah!!!!

There are 100 Joe stories, always fun.

He hung in with his T for as long as he could. He had fun...and before he was 80 he never even had the urge.

It can be done! RIP Joe

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: A eulogy

Post by perry kete » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am

My condolences on the loss of your friend.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Follow your dreams, it's not just for twenty year olds. Hope I can make it to 80 AND remember that. Through your post, Joe Lappin Jr is still inspiring. My condolences.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 am

Joe sounds like a great guy, sad to loose a brother. Condolences. jw
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic