Rod boring lathe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Rod boring lathe

Post by Erik Barrett » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:41 pm

More pics were requested of my rod lathe. This machine is specifically built for that job. The machine turns the boring and the rod travels with the carriage. I have a facing tool at both ends of the bar so machining the bore and both sides of the rod can be done with one setup operation. I don't do many T rods anymore with it, there's no money in it. I have my customers buy them from the vendors. My centrifugal pouring process is too time intensive on T rods. I have done rods on this machine with over three inch journals and it has the tooling to do things as small as the tiny rods that move the sleeves in a Willys Knight engine. It can also rough or finish bore bronze bearing shells for other engines and I use it to rough bore T main caps to .050" undersized in large batches.
Attachments
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Re: Rod boring lathe

Post by John E. Guitar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Thank you for posting this. It is very interesting.

Do you have any photos of your centrifugal pour setup?

Topic author
Erik Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am

I have them on an old iPad I need to get a new touch screen on. With the new format I can post them. It's very exciting, the whole mold is spinning at 1500 rpm and any leak results in 900 degree babbit flying everywhere. Leaks are common, too. But the end result is the most dense, contaminant and gas inclusion free bearing possible. Centrifugal force is the key. A better bearing by far than Ford supplied but time intensive. I will get pics and info up as time permits.

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Erik, thanks for posting the pictures of your rod boring lathe. Is that a cutter in the chuck? I have never seen a lathe like this before. Interesting.

Topic author
Erik Barrett

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:39 pm

The cutting tool in the chuck faces the side thrust portion of the rod and also cuts in the radius at the end of the bearing. There is another one at the other end of the bar.

Topic author
Erik Barrett

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:41 pm

The facing head was not on the back end of the bar when I took this photo.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 am

I made an attachment for my old 9" South Bend lathe that looks remarkably like that. It was anchored in my milling attachment for adjustment and bolted to the cross slide with a boring bar placed between centers. It worked so well that I did the rods in a 1934 model B engine several times......by making mistakes. Finally got 'em though.

Sorry now that I sold that truck.............. :?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic