needle bearings used in brake drum shaft

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave Foley
First Name: David
Last Name: Foley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring 26 roadster

needle bearings used in brake drum shaft

Post by Dave Foley » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:13 pm

I don't have history on car, bought rolling chassis from a hot rodder, Working on a 26-7 transmission, upon disassembly found needle bearings (kaydon kn 162016) used in shaft rather than bushings, (drum side came apart during disassembly) both had discolored with heat. my plan is to replace needle bearings with similar and reassemble with clean good surfaces. triple gears will be rebushed due to wear, new drum lugs etc. is this modification ok or do i need to replace shaft?
Thank you for your replies and advice
Attachments
IMG_5186.jpg
IMG_5185.jpg

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: needle bearings used in brake drum shaft

Post by Joe Bell » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:19 pm

I have come across that also, did not think it was a great ideal?

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:42 pm

A big caution regarding needle bearings in that location. The main shaft is not hard enough to all allow the use of needle bearings for that application.
Eventually the shaft surface will begin to fret and spall due to the contact stresses from the needle bearing contact. There is very little radial load on the shaft, so it might be marginally ok, but it is very poor engineering practice. My suggestion is to install the stock bronze bushings, and bore / hone them to .002/.003 clearance. Needle bearings are wonderfull in many ways, but running them on an improperly hardened shaft will eventually lead to failure.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm

This has been tried time and again over time. Using needle bearings in the driveline and transmission and even in the triple gears.
Using original style bushings seem to always work out the best overall. The fun projects new style bearing for the drive shaft is a winner in my book though. I wouldn’t put together another one without using one of those. Now that’s a real improvement that does work.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:00 pm

This has been tried time and again over time. Using needle bearings in the driveline and transmission and even in the triple gears.
Using original style bushings seem to always work out the best overall. The fun projects new style bearing for the drive shaft is a winner in my book though. I wouldn’t put together another one without using one of those. Now that’s a real improvement that does work.
Last edited by John kuehn on Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:45 pm

I was,a bearing applications engineer for .many years and would never recommend this bearing in that application for many reasons. Stay with the original design.
Art Mirtes

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Needle bearings have no place in a Model T.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:04 pm

What Dan and others said. You are asking for trouble and there will be no perceptible advantage. Use bushings.

Dan McEachern
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm

Actually I need to take exception to the comment regarding needle bearings in place of bushings in the triple gears. I recently pulled apart a transmission built almost 20 years ago with my needle bearing conversion in the triple gears. This the 1st opportunity I have had to inspect the parts after extensive use. You can clearly see that there is no wear on the pins. This is a case of needle bearings being applied to a properly designed and heat treated shaft.
Attachments
IMG-2542.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Dan

that is a super opportunity to evaluate the efficacy of your new design...congratulations on how beautiful it still looks. Any idea of mileage?
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Art M

Post by Art M » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm

The roller contact on the pin is very impressive. The bearing fit up must have been perfect and the engine oil must have been changed frequently.
It would be interesting to know the mileage.

Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:14 am

We maintain the gear bore and the pin diameter on these to +/-.0002" per the manufacturers specs. Not sure of exact mileage on this one, but the car it was in belongs to a very active touring group in So. Cal. The reason for pulling the transmission was to replace the Turbo 400 clutch discs that were worn out. We have well over 100 of these conversions out in the world not including the new triple gears that we offer with the needle bearings and this is the 1st opportunity I've personally had to inspect a set after 25 or so years producing them. Needless to say, we're pleased with the condition of the parts. Unfortunately, I don't have a milage to report.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:53 am

I may have to consider the idea of the original posting, as the last run of “floating transmission shafts” I had them “gas nitrided” , so they are about 50 rockwell hard. Not quite as hard as desirable for needle roller. I might get one case hardened just to try. The engine will be about 60 hp at 4,000 rpm!

Art M

Post by Art M » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm

I am now convinced that the triple gears are a good application for needle bearings. I am wondering what needle bearing is used, does the pin have to be reground to a special size, does the gear bore need to be resized, and what is the resulting mounted radial play.

Are one or two bearing assemblies used in each gear. Seems like two would be better if the width allows it.

I am willing to bet that the gear noise in low and reverse is considerably lower than usual.

Art Mirtes

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Art M wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm
I am now convinced that the triple gears are a good application for needle bearings. I am wondering what needle bearing is used, does the pin have to be reground to a special size, does the gear bore need to be resized, and what is the resulting mounted radial play.

Are one or two bearing assemblies used in each gear. Seems like two would be better if the width allows it.

I am willing to bet that the gear noise in low and reverse is considerably lower than usual.

Art Mirtes
Art,

I'm sure Dan will clarify, but I believe the needle bearings are used along with new pins, made especially for use with the needle bearings.

Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Stock pins are not reground. The pins are carburized chrome nickel alloy steel made specifically for this application. Attempting to reuse a pin of unknown alloy and heat treat is just asking for failure in my opinion. We have never really measured the radial play, as I said above we maintain the gear bore and shaft size to manufacturer's tolerance. My guess is the radial play is considerably less than .002". Play is almost imperceptible when the gear is on the pin. I have made some of these with a larger bearing that requires a much larger pin, which works well to salvage a flywheel where the pins have come loose and damaged the pin bore in the flywheel. I'll have a set of gears with me at the Tulare Swap meet this weekend in space K23.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun May 02, 2021 3:48 am

Hey Dan. Sent you an email about your AC Brake Equalizers. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic