Where to buy coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Where to buy coils

Post by paddy1998 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:10 pm

After last summer's fiasco of pulling the engine on my 25 Touring because of a seized head bolt I've decided on what I hope will be a less involved project this year that won't keep me out of the driver's seat all summer.

I've decided to restore the car to the original type ignition system. My car originally came to me with a home fabricated distributor, which I replaced with a Texas T distributor. The distributor works fine for the most part but makes adjusting the fan belt an annoying affair resulting in a trip to church to confess my sins.

I've decided to go with an E-Timer. I like the concept, it seems to be a quality product, and the automatic timing advance feature appeals to me because I'm confident that I have never driven the car and and actually adjusted the spark advance properly at the same time.

What I don't know is where to buy coils. I see a few reputable rebuilders/refurbishers on the forum and in the magazine but I'm starting from scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Where to buy coils

Post by TWrenn » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Brent Mize, the coil doctor, from Columbus Ohio.
I gotta look up his info, will email it to you.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Go to swap meet in Luray va next month

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm

There's certainly nothing wrong with an e-timer, but don't sell yourself short when it comes to adjusting the timing lever.

You do it mainly by ear and by how the car feels under you. I just fidget with mine until it feels like it has the most power and is running the smoothest.

I'm running my 24 Touring with a completely stock ignition system and have been for the two years since I returned to the road. And...I have to say that messing around with the timing has become part of the whole experience for me. I don't think it would be quite as fun if I didn't have it.
1924 Touring

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:11 pm

You will love that ETimer!!

You don't have to pay for finely tuned and adjusted coils so you'll save a bunch if you can find some at the swap meets.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm

I buy them at swap meets. I adjust them on a "buzz box" which I hook up to my magneto. I test each coil and find some of them will work just the way I bought them. I can also replace condensors and points when necessary, and only the ones with open or shorted windings need to be discarded. I carry a couple spares along in each of my cars. I very seldom have any problems with the ignition system. All my cars run on magneto, but will also run on battery. I also carry a spare timer and spark plugs. On most tours, the cars with ignition problems are running distributors or other after market ignition systems. If you choose to do so, be sure to have some spare parts to fit your particular system, because many of them are not available at any parts store. You need to know what brand parts you are using and carry along spares to fit your own car.
Norm

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Corey Walker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm

I don’t know anything about an e-timer but how would an e-timer compensate for double sparking coils? I’ve got two sets of coils, one set I got from Ron Patterson and both of my cars (with rebuilt magnetos) will start with those coils on mag, I’ve got another set of rebuilt coils that I purchased at a swap meet and neither car will start from cold on mag using them. I’m sure the other set would be fine if adjusted on an HCCT but as they are you have to use a battery. I started my 14 on mag when it was 2 degrees here last month.
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm

how would an e-timer compensate for double sparking coils?
There is no double sparking with the E-Timer. The E-Timer is an electronic ignition that uses the original coils primary and secondary windings but not the coil point contacts. The points are bypassed with small fuse jumpers; effectively shorting them out so the points are electrically closed all the time so there is no need to maintain the points, condenser/capacitor or have the points properly adjusted. The E-Timer monitors engine speed and piston position then charges and fires the coil at the correct time. Spark timing also advances automatically with engine speed to maintain optimal performance while operating on battery so there is no need to continually adjust the spark lever.

The coil points still vibrate and buzz but are strictly cosmetic. All Coil current flows through the fuse jumpers installed across the coil points so there is no dependence on mechanical point contacts and associated adjustment flaws like double sparking. Some folks don't even install the coil points on their coils using the E-Timer, just the small fuse jumpers.

By the way, there is a huge difference between a Model T engine that starts and "Runs" and one that Runs well. Engine performance depends upon ignition Timing, Not HCCT coil current. That's like using a sundial's shadow as an indirect approximation to tell Time. Find someone to adjust your coils using the dwell time to fire method for equal and consistent firing Time rather than equal coil current and experience the difference precise ignition timing makes on a Model T performance. This, of course assumes, your timer is in good condition, properly maintained and properly centered on the CAM. Perhaps others who have experienced the difference will chime in.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:53 pm

What I don't know is where to buy coils.

Luke Chennell, Andy Loso, Brent Mize, Ron Patterson. You can contact all of them through the forum (Click Extra Quick links at the top of this page). Luke, Andy, and Brent are also on FB. I don't know about Ron.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 am

I would also rebuild your coil box with the plastic insert and get rid of the wood. That will get rid of any problems in the box. Keep all the metal contacts since they are the correct type of bronze(?). Call to find who has one in stock, since if you just order it you might get a back order notice. If you have not driven up to Loves Park yet, make a trip to see Bob and take a tour.

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:59 am

"By the way, there is a huge difference between a Model T engine that starts and "Runs" and one that Runs well. Engine performance depends upon ignition Timing,"

As the man said. very true.
etimer or properly set coils.

Caswell
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Brevit

Post by Caswell » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 am

Not exactly as original but a solid coil, get yourself a set of 4, adjust and run. It's a model T after all not a 2020's Ford, no high tech required, it worked well in the 1920's, to me some mods are a slippery slop that leads to mounting the body on modern running gear.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/model-t-f ... 612-1.html
Last edited by Caswell on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowerss2
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Bowers

Post by bowerss2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 am

MKossor wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm
By the way, there is a huge difference between a Model T engine that starts and "Runs" and one that Runs well.
1000% this. Unfortunately there are so many Ts out there that have been kept in the condition of barely running long enough that a lot of people consider that state normal for a T. Its not. I have a 26 that when i bought it was what I would consider "Typical" condition of a "running" T. It had 2 different size pistons, horribly done babbit, cracks in the drums, bad clutch, the timer was borked, the coils were shot, the suspension bushings were completely worn out but it did move under its own power and had fresh paint so it was "restored"

Honestly if anything its a testament to how rugged these cars are; I doubt any modern car would run at all in the state that many Ts putter down the road in.

Sit a person in a well sorted car used for regular touring and they will be shocked at how drama free the ride is haha.

As far as the E-timer is concerned. I say go for it. You dont have to worry about the coils at all. I am running an etimer on one of my cars and its great. The other cars either have Anderson or original new day. both good choices. But honestly the E-timer is a lot less fussing around. And besides it is completely stealth unless you bring it up just to piss off someone :twisted:

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502

Post by Corey Walker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks for the explanation of the E-timer. I remember pulling out of my driveway the first time I got a set of rebuilt coils vs the ones I had before that worked but had to start with a battery and as I found out no where near the performance and I also remember leaving a set at Chickasha to be rebuilt and buying a set there and then when I got home my car wouldn’t start with them. I know it had to be something with their adjustment.
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am

E-timer is a very good timer. But you may know it will not working on Magneto as well. If you want to run in Magneto you need the I-timer. One of my T run on I-timer and it run really great with the coils made by RV Anderson and also on the Magneto as well. My other T run with the new timer with coils made by RON Patterson and it run really smooth either. All solutions are good depend the unique situation you face up. just saying.

Also I'm very happy guy like Mike Kossor making great products like these. Either I applaud RV Anderson and Ron Patterson continuing to do the original way. Diversity is good for all. Thank you gentlemen for your contribution to the hobby!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Cory,
I have an HCCT and a Strobo-spark.
If you pay for shipping both ways, I'd be happy to adjust your coils for you.
-Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic