New guy here....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Kunder
First Name: scott
Last Name: miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

New guy here....

Post by Kunder » Wed May 12, 2021 2:38 am

Hi everyone! I'm located in central Texas, about 60 miles west of Austin. I don't own a Model T, but am planning on purchasing one around late fall, or next spring. I know only what I've researched about them from the web, You Tube, and a few other resources.

I'm looking for a "TT" I'm guessing. Believe it or not, I plan on daily use. I don't have far to drive daily to work, and it would be useful for hauling plywood, a few 2X4's, and maybe a little firewood, or just a drive around lake LBJ once in a while, and a fishing trip.

I'm tired of the offerings in the automotive world. Real tired.

My hopes is to find one that is mechanically restored, and sound. Don't care if the paint is bad, as long as it's sound. I do plan on driving it regularly on the street, and would be looking for a few engine modifications that look period correct, that'll get it going at reasonable speeds (50mph, won't get you killed on the street here, so that would be fine). I don't care about some non original parts, as I'm not a "purist". I just need it to go reliably. Mountain brakes would be a plus.

I've always liked the "T", and always wanted one to tinker with, and drive more or less on a daily basis. The top speed though, has always put me off a bit, but $40,000 for a new Ford, Chevy, or Dodge Ram, is FAR more off-putting. especially, since I don't need that much truck, and don't want to spend that kind of money either.

As I know next to nothing, except for the procedure to start, drive, and operate it, I'm hear to pick brains and learn. Looking forward to speaking with Y'all!

I thank all, in advance. :)

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: New guy here....

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 am

Welcome to the affliction! Model Ts can be a lot of fun, some heartache, and connect their caretakers to history and people in ways few other things can.
A TT with a good engine, and a good era overdrive transmission, may be able to do 40 mph without much trouble. The one I had many years ago with a very stock engine and good overdrive would cruise at 40 for considerable distance on level ground.
To do 50 reliably will require significant modifications to the engine. An era correct modification most likely would include a commercial version of an over-head valve conversion (they are a bit expensive!).
Model A crankshafts can increase displacement added to a high compression head and lugging camshaft with added carburation would also likely work.

There is a family in Texas that has a couple TT trucks, including one with an OHV that I hear really moves! But I haven't seen them on the forum much in the past couple years now.

Expect to hear from Brent Burger soon. He is one of our most avid TT aficionados, and drives his a great deal! He lives in the Pacific Northwest in Washington.

I look forward to reading more as you find your way forward.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 am

I agree with what Wayne said. The problem is FINDING a TT that has the "faster rear end" at the very least, let alone maybe a Ruckstell and certainly an overdrive modification if you're planning on "daily driving". A stock TT is lucky to get 20-22 mph top speed, so look cafefully, ask questions, do a good test drive.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 am

If you must go faster than a TT normally does, the best combination I believe is the taller geared rear axle driven through a new Layne Warford accessory gearbox.They even have specific gearbox models for TT's. You should also look into auxilliary brakes.

Allan from down under.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am

20190907_103124.jpg
My 23 TT has a Chicago 3 speed trans, high speed gear set and 23 in Kelsey rear wheels. It also has a rebuilt engine running cast pistons. No performance upgrades to the engine.

It will run comfortable around 25 to 30 mph. Top speed is 42mph. I drive where the engine likes it. My normal driving is in straight drive which is around 20 mph. Anything over that with stock engine seem like Im flogging it too hard. Im sure $ upgrades to engine would increase my speed with a happy sounding engine but to me a TT is not built for speed. Life in the slow lane is good also. I wish my work allowed it as a daily driver in summer. TT's are a ton of fun and built to work. As stated above, test drive and research your needs and cost to get it where you need it. Good luck on your quest and keep us posted on your progress.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Wed May 12, 2021 7:58 am

An alternative that many of us like is a Model T car with a pickup bed. The cars are geared much higher, so your aim of 50 mph is attainable. And the pickup bed, though much smaller than a TT bed, is very handy for hauling stuff of all kinds.

John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am

With a 50mph TT, you'd best consider some type of auxiliary brakes. Have fun!!!!!!

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 am

If you're in love with an idea as opposed to the reality, it would be well to get (somehow) "real time" experience before committing. Dallas can offer good advice as the owner of a working TT, so can Burger if he chimes in on this thread. The suggestion to opt for a pickup on a passenger chassis is a good one, unless you need to haul large heavy loads often.

Personally, I would disabuse anyone of the notion that a Model T is a regularly dependable 50mph commuter vehicle unless quite radically modified. Mark Osterman uses his stock runabout as a daily commuter (or did) on city streets. During the irrigating season, I drive mine almost daily 7 to 20 miles, comfortably at 30 per on county roads, and 5-10mph off road. In many ways, acquiring a Model T is like taking on a second job. Fun for some, not for all. Most drivers weaned on modern iron and 80mph Interstate speed limits find travel at 25-35 frustrating.
"Get a horse !"

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am

Been told, by TT owners, that even if you can gear it up to go 50, that poor rear end will get really hot. Those worm gears are not designed for those RPM's.
Many decades ago, l met a fellow with a TT on a national tour around Estes park, Co. His tt had a stock big drum T rear end mated with a warford. The combination was the same length as a TT rear end. He respoked the TT rear wheels to T hubs. Looked like a truck, but would do passenger car speeds.

jeffstag
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Versteeg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '27 TT, '25 TT, '23 Fordor, '23 Touring

Post by jeffstag » Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 am

Have you considered an AA? You may have picked up from the previous comments that 50MPH may be achievable with the right combination of equipment, but it's really pushing the envelope for a TT.
23 Touring
23 Fordor
25 TT
27 TT

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed May 12, 2021 11:50 am

This may sound like blasphemy but what you want to do with a TT or T truck sounds a bit unrealistic. Driving a Model TT or T at 50 mph is not really a fun experience and is certainly not what they were designed for. Perhaps you would be happier driving a Model AA or A or something just a bit newer.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 12, 2021 12:44 pm

I once got my 1915 runabout up to 50 mph briefly just to see if I could. It was just too scary. The thought of moving a TT at that speed is even more frightening. I often tell people, "If you want to go fast get a Packard." In the case of a TT, if I wanted to go fast I would get something else that was built for higher speeds. I believe that instead of redesigning a vehicle to fit your desires, it's better to redesign your desires to fit the vehicle. A future project of mine is a 1924 TT. As Ford designed it to achieve a top speed under 30 mph, that's how I expect to drive it. When I want to take a trip and burn up the road at 35 mph or more, I'll do it in a Model T.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:40 pm

You'd really need an AA with a modded B-Model type engine do 50 mph dependably. I'd consider a Model A pickup with a built engine and hydraulic brakes and 16" Ford wire wheels and "high speed" gears. That would haul up to 400 lbs or so at 55 mph. An AA truck with a 100 HP flathead V8 would probably do 60 mph all day long. You'd need a custom radiator to do that, and you'd need hydraulic brakes and modern shocks.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Heavy trucks, 1 ton or more, built before WW2 were not designed to travel at 50 mph when the speed limit was 45 mph. Even if they will go that fast the ride will be ruff and not very fun. The Model A pickup with some upgrades, like hydraulic brakes, high compression head, will do 50 mph. Back in the day contractor's carried their latter on a rack over the right side fenders having a left fender mount spair. Carry your 2x4's like a latter, make more trips for fire wood or heavy stuff, a 4x8 plywood sheet might need a trailer. Talk to owners and try driving diffrent trucks if you can to find out what works for you frist.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 pm

I’m not far from you Scott. If you want to try out a TT C Cab with Warford and Ruckstell, come on down. You’ll enjoy cruising at 30 but I don’t care to go 35 at rod slinging RPM. Speaking of which; there once was s 2 time MTFCA president from Texas that blew up two rebuilt engines in his TT trying to keep up with the T s. Won’t mention his name but he now lives in WA.😞
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Overall drive ratio of a stock Model T is 3.64. What is it on a stock TT?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed May 12, 2021 4:35 pm

I believe 5:1 and high speed gears are 7:1 or is it the other way.
Last edited by Dallas Landers on Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 pm

I believe 7:1 is standard. 5.25 Hi speed gears

bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Post by bdtutton » Wed May 12, 2021 5:03 pm

I think you should look at a regular Model A with a box or flat bed on the back. I have a 1930 Tudor with a stock engine and I think it has 3.54 gears and I can run 50 mph for extended lengths of time. It likes 45-47 a lot, but does not complain to much about 52 or 53. There are some really nice things about a Model A that you don't get with a Model T.... 4 wheel brakes, double the horsepower, better suspension and steering, better tires...etc.... I even added some of those new American Classic whitewall radials that have tubes in them and look like bias ply tires. They make the car handle like a modern car.
Please understand I love my 1914 Model T, but it is not a daily driver in the modern world. I would say a Model A is not really a daily driver either, but if you don't push it too hard and stay on top of the maintenance you can make it work. I drive my Model A 5000 miles a year and spend a lot of time doing maintenance.

Cap
First Name: Cap
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 & 25 C Cab

Post by Cap » Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 pm

I now have Dads '24'TT.. I've put more miles on it than he did.. And he drove it a lot.. We got it with the 7:1 Gears and a Cast Iron Warford. After some swaping of parts, we ended up with a 26 Engine/Trans, Scat Crank, E-Timer 5:1 Gears, Rocky Mountain Brakes, and the OD1 Carb. Dad would do 48 MPH.. Faster than I wanted.. He was complaining that the Driveshaft was bouncing around in the tube..

We ended up Putting in the Car Version of the Lane Warford ( did not know they had a TT Lane Warford ), and now 42 is pushing the beast. I drive it at 38, and I'm comfortable with that..

I took out the OD1, as I did not like the way it idled.. and the Transition to running was poor.. High Speed and WOT running was better then the Holly NH that is in it now..

I don't want an A.. I want a TT.. However my wife wants an A PU..

Go drive one and see..

Cap

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 pm

Sorry to join in so late, .... have been doing some Vet event stuff for Memorial Day
and just now saw this thread.

I wanted a TT flatbed since finding one in a local barn when I was a kid. Model A's
will not cut it for me - too modern looking. I wanted a TT, no exceptions. Oh yeah,
and I wanted to make it go fast (for TT logic) !

I happen to live in Spokane - epicenter of the Model T world, because Antique Auto
Ranch happens to be here, and an evil plan to seed the hobby long ago has resulted
in a very large local following. The fact that the AAR is also ground zero for the Montana
500 is also a major factor here too. Anyway, I walked into the AAR after deciding to
get serious about owning one, and announced my intentions. The "deer in the headlights"
looks coming back had me thinking they had heard this line before from more than one
yahoo that never got off the ground. And no one took me seriously until I showed up with
my truck and asked more questions about performance and safety. It was only then that
speed secrets and T theory began to get explained to me. And the more I followed through,
the more they shared. And basically, it goes like this:

You only got 20hp, and steep gears to work with here. Tweaking all the various components
to advantage CAN make a TT go pretty fast. Is it wise to go that fast ? Probably not.

So, here's where I am at: a VERY well balanced engine/transmission is half the battle won.
Tightly dialed in coils is uber important, as will be acquiring some 5:1 ratio "express gears".
The balancing and express gears will allow the drivetrain to spin faster. Now to figure out
how to squeeze more power TO the drivetrain, to match the gears and desired speed. A
high-breathing carb is important. A SCAT crank is too. I added a Z-head to bump compression,
and can comfortably cruise on flat ground at 35-40, with a top speed around 50. I have a
Lincoln 3-speed (OD) transmission that has yet to be rebuilt/installed, but the math says
60-65 ought to be possible.

Now for the "down" side. Brakes. To my way of thinking, a T without wood wheels is like
eating steak through a straw. No wood wheels, why bother ? They are an intrinsic part of
character of a T, ESPECIALLY a TT. And even in brand new, rebuilt form, have serious mechanical
limitations to the inertias imposed upon them as speeds and braking needs go up. And options
tend to look like hell.

So, I resolve myself to a balance of wanting a longer range (more speed to cover more ground),
versus losing the character of the TT that drew me to them in the first place, AND an underlying
grasp of what is utter foolishness, regarding safety. Currently, I run no special brakes, but have
a set of aux. brakes at the ready, should I ever get around to installing the Lincoln - which is
another safety concern. Should I ever "miss a shift" and find myself unable to get the truck back
into gear, I am a freewheeling mess of no brakes at all until such time as I find a soft landing place
or a stationary object. Either of which will likely require the change to fresh skivies. No thanks !
So, the aux. brakes are pretty much mandatory, if a person ever adds the aux. transmission.

More questions ? Happy to answer them. Just ask away !

IMG_1948.jpg
fairfield2.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Cap
First Name: Cap
Last Name: Weir
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 & 25 C Cab

Post by Cap » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:16 am

Having read your last post, my I suggest.

'Drilled' Scat Crank, Ground to Model A Throw and Journal Size. Get rid of the Mag Coils, and install a VW oil pump on the back of the cam. This way you have a fully pressurized Oil System to keep the journals happy, and the added displacement of the Model A crank. The E-Timer will keep the Plugs Firing nicely, without having to mess with Spark Control while driving.

The High Flow Carb will delver plenty of Air to allow this thing to breath, and coupled with an of-era high flow aluminum intake manifold will finish it off nicely. Install a Wide Band O2 Sensor in the exhaust to help figure things out.. BTDT

Rather than the Lane-Worford, a Three Speed OD Transmission will allow Normal type of shifting, with the added benefit of the existing Lo-Peddle if needed to split gears. The Lane does not shift 'Smoothly' as its a Dog Transmission.

A two speed Rear End will give you a wide choice of gearing options.. if you can ever figure them out.

You will likely have to keep the driveshaft from wobbling.. We considered installing a center bearing support somehow.. never fully delved into that..

You might consider some Fou-Painted Aluminum Spokes. It's been done before. Or just leave them black.

Front brakes.. There are a few people that have done Motorcycle Front Brakes. They are not 'Of-Era' and some consider it Blasphemous, but brake lites and turn signals are also not Of-Era.. If you go to the Aluminum Painted Spokes, you can keep the Thinn Wood Look of the fronts, but still have the provide stopping power.

Good luck..

Cap

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 am

Your rear axle is still the big issue. Its not happy turning those high RPM's It will run real hot. Ask the guys that run em. Thats where I get my opinion on the matter. I think I told the story of a guy that adapted a big drum passenger car rear end. Thats the only way you can have the speeds you want reliably from what I have heard. Talk to TT guys.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:45 am

Some AA trucks had very nice looking wire spoke wheels They seem to be rare. Balance might be an issue. A TT truck with a built passenger T axle conversion, modded driveshaft, 55 hp at 3,000 rpm capability, custom radiator, and billet aluminum wheel spokes would be nice... but money is an object. TT size tires might not support extended running at 50+ mph. Aero drag in a TT at 40+ mph would be severe, and wind noise would be fierce. Would I do it if I had the cash? Heck yes!!

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:19 am

With enough mods, ... at some point it is no longer a TT, ... the charm having
been replaced with "upgrades". We all have our own threshold of where that
dividing line is.

I have toyed with the idea of building a long distance TT runner, based around
a 22r drivetrain, but I always hit a wall over the character issue when I want to
add matching brakes, versus those wheels that I refuse to modify, because they
ARE the most essential character part of a TT to me. Ten years of much idle thought
on how to make it work still has me just enjoying my very stock appearing TT that
only goes 45. BTW - 45 feels like 90 in a TT.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:57 am

50 mph in a TT is unrealistic. To do it safely you will have accomplished so many modifications that it will be a hot rod and not a TT. I second what Steve Jelf said about redesigning your desires. We'd love to have you in our hobby, but a TT does not seem to be the vehicle that you really want.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Who exactly are you guys giving advice to?

the OP posted his question/statement 2 1/2 weeks ago and has not been back since...two total posts to his credit...

perhaps it's just good therapy for some folks, but it seems like a waste of time to me... :?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic