One man top install

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepster47
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Cooper

One man top install

Post by Jeepster47 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 pm

I am installing a top on my 24 touring. Has anyone installed a kit from cartouche? Iv watched a few videos and there kit install seems to be different then how clastique installs there kit . Particularly how the wind breaker installs at the windshield. Has anyone installed this kit and have pictures and pointers on there ? Thanks in advance

Dan_Jensen
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Jensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31955
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: One man top install

Post by Dan_Jensen » Sun May 16, 2021 9:49 am

I did a Cartouche top on my 23 touring, and yes the windbreak flap did not work like they showed in the instructions. I installed it to where the flap that is double fabric just covers the top of the windshield. I have the top down now, I will try to get some pictures later today to show you how I did the front flap.
1923 Touring low radiator

Topic author
Jeepster47

Post by Jeepster47 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:59 am

That’s what I was thinking, greatly appreciate the help!

Dan_Jensen

Post by Dan_Jensen » Sun May 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Here are some photos of the windbreak on my Cartouche top. The front bow is covered in the vinyl wrap, then I put the large part of the windbreak on the top of the front bow with the stitching of the flap about 1 1/4" from the inside of the bow. Then I put the pads and straps on then the top deck was the last thing. I put a thin strip of wood molding in the flap that covers the top of the windshield to make it stiffer, and does not flip over the top of the windshield at higher speeds.
One thing that I found is that the straps need to be tacked to the second and third bows. The instructions did not mention tacking down there. It makes it a lot easier to put the top down. I just stand (hunched over) in the back at the center and lift the second bow out of the U brackets, then reach out and grab both of the loose ends of the second bow and push them down and forward and everything falls in place on the saddles.[image]
20210516_171208.jpg
[/image]
20210516_171208.jpg
Attachments
20210516_170951.jpg

Topic author
Jeepster47

Post by Jeepster47 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 am

Great ! Thank you . One last question, do you tack the pads to all the bows or just the rear two and front ?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon May 17, 2021 10:08 am

I looked at the instructions that came with my Classtique top kit. It specifies to tack the straps just to the front & rear bows initially (in case they need to be repositioned later), then tack them to each bow once the top pads have been installed and any needed adjustments to the straps and bows have been made and you are sure that everything is in alignment. It also says to tack the top pads to each bow at that time.

This is good advice, because you almost certainly will have to make some minor adjustments to get the top bows positioned correctly when the top is up. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon May 17, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks for this guys
It helps as I am getting ready to put my top on the 26 roadster.
Same but different!😁

Topic author
Jeepster47

Post by Jeepster47 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks for the information! My confusion came from watching the install video on the classtique kit and was comparing how my directions for the cartouche kit I am installing. She mentioned in the video to not fasten to the third from the back bow only the other 3 and my kit says to tack the padding to all . I know they are completely different manufacturers but wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something

Dan_Jensen

Post by Dan_Jensen » Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 am

On the second bow I did not use tacks to secure the pads, I used a needle and thread to stitch it to the bow covering (bow drill).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic