Outside Engine Oiler

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Outside Engine Oiler

Post by bdtutton » Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 am

Hello....I see several types of external engine oilers that can be added to send extra oil to the front of the engine.
I want something that is fairly easy to add onto an engine without tearing it apart....Here are a couple I am thinking of...
https://snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductD ... /oil-items
and also
https://snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductD ... /oil-items
Just wondering what the pros and cons were to each one of these kits and wondering if there was something better out there.

DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

Re: Outside Engine Oiler

Post by DJPeterson » Tue May 18, 2021 12:08 pm

The mag post oiler works well and I'd easy to install. You must check it to assure it flows well. In the past some of these had a problem with the fitting going in too far and obstructing flow.
The high flow oil line requires the transmission cover to be removed so you can drill out the hole and attach the oil line fitting. Works well, though.
I have both and both perform well.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I would go with the first link you show, the Ford Faithful. Next would be the mag post oiler. There is also this type; https://www.modeltford.com/item/3081ACC.aspx
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
bdtutton
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Tutton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Model T

Post by bdtutton » Tue May 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Oh...I like that internal oiler. It would not show anything on the outside of the engine and it looks very simple.
It looks like there is an improved version available from Lang's and Snyder's too that has a bigger funnel and tube.
Has anyone tried the internal oiler ??

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

I liked the idea also. My concern is if it clogs you dont know. It isnt readily checkable, like the stock internal funnel. I have tapped the hogs head & run the texas t oiler & done both on 1 motor. Of all thats available for non destructive installation, i would go faithful type cover pickup. One can check the flow & access is easy. Mag post units i have checked dont do much.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

The later engines had a bigger pickup funnel....that helps.

I bought one of the Ford Faithful Oilers from Chaffin's. I live in very flat country so I haven't bothered to install it yet. My car has the improved factory pickup tube and I thoroughly cleaned it out when I refreshed my engine.

I think it's more than adequate for a flatlander like me but I wanted to have one of the Ford Faithfuls on hand if I ever attend a meet with significant hills, etc.
1924 Touring

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Tue May 18, 2021 3:18 pm

I install a mag post Oiler on all my Model Ts. First of all, it’s easiest to install (one of your prerequisites) and, secondly, it moves a HUGE amount of oil to #1 main. I know this because I’ve installed a clear plastic line in lieu of a length of copper in the oiler system.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue May 18, 2021 3:34 pm

A proper Magneto outlet type outside oiler will flow one quart of oil to the front in 3 1/2 minutes. That’s much greater than the stock larger funnel internal oiler, which moves one pint in 3 minutes at fast idle.

Of course the hogshead mount with internal diverter cup and large bore tubing or hose can flow a quart of oil in 14 seconds!
Best type but more involved install. Have that hogshead style on the main tour T, mag types on the others for engine safety.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Hudson29
First Name: Paul
Last Name: O'Neil
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1923 Runabout
MTFCI Number: 18018
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hudson29 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm

I see on the picture of the Ford Faithful Oiler that there is a special drain pan/filter that is part of the kit. I recently bought a T with an original Ford Faithful oiler. On removing the transmission door to see what things looked like inside I found that someone had ditched the original pan which looks like it is designed to feed the oil to the oil supply fitting with the standard aftermarket screen we all fit these days. Whoever installed it used the old fashioned hardening Permatex so its going to have to be chiseled off the door. Fun, fun, fun!

Will the modern filter feed oil to the line OK? Is just the Ford Faithful pan/filter available without buying the whole kit?
Attachments
Trans_02.jpg
Trans Screen.jpg
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Tue May 18, 2021 4:57 pm

You might put 3 of those large magnets to slow the flow to divert the excess into the faithful pipe. Or some other method to divert much of the oil from the screen.
Then look @ the flow of oil.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue May 18, 2021 5:24 pm

I agree that either will work if properly installed and checked to be sure the oil is flowing. I have the magneto type on all of my cars and they work just fine. You might have some problems being sure the line is attached at the magneto in such a way as not to block the flow and also that the connection to the magneto is good so the magneto will work properly. These are not hard to fix. The good thing is you don't need to modify the hogs head, the transmission inspection plate or the crankcase to install it. Personal experience is I ran a T for about 10 years with only the magneto oiler and the inside line without any funnel. The first time I drove the car after installing the engine the magneto quit working and I switched to battery. I ran it on battery after that. What I didn't know was that the funnel was in contact with the magnets and it sheared off when I first drove the car. It had cut the magneto winding. Later when I pulled the engine out to replace the magneto ring with one I had re-wound, I found the funnel laying in the crankcase. I live in the mountains so I go up hills every time I take my T's out. The magneto oiler saved the engine.
Norm

Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:48 pm

I suppose I could loosen the line and rig a funnel to a can to check for oil flow. If some comes out with the motor running we're jake.

Paul
The man with a watch always knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.

rlwellman
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Wellman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 26031

Engine Oiler

Post by rlwellman » Wed May 19, 2021 8:50 am

I have had the internal oilers installed for many years. To check oil flow I took a bolt out of the forward end of the pan inspection cover with the engine running. There sure was a steady flow of oil coming out when I checked. Didn't do a before and after but it sure looked good after.

Rick

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:37 am

Has anyone had issues with a high volume outside oiler causing oil consumption at idle?

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 19, 2021 11:16 am

YES. Excessive smoke from high vacuum situations. Idle & down hill. More noticeble @ higher oil fill levels. I have a texas oiler modified to pick up maximum oil (2"x5/8") pick up opening. Plus a tap pipe upper top of hogs head.
More is better, right?? Shot myself in the foot.
Its on my list to meter the oil flow @ the pan connection to fix my fix.

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am

Hudson29 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm
I see on the picture of the Ford Faithful Oiler that there is a special drain pan/filter that is part of the kit. I recently bought a T with an original Ford Faithful oiler. On removing the transmission door to see what things looked like inside I found that someone had ditched the original pan which looks like it is designed to feed the oil to the oil supply fitting with the standard aftermarket screen we all fit these days. Whoever installed it used the old fashioned hardening Permatex so its going to have to be chiseled off the door. Fun, fun, fun!

Will the modern filter feed oil to the line OK? Is just the Ford Faithful pan/filter available without buying the whole kit?
I have an extra pan. I am sending you a PM.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks Mark, I am interested and have sent replies through the forum. I'm a bit confused about how to use the PM feature so I thought it best to reply several ways.

Paul

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed May 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Re: "YES. Excessive smoke from high vacuum situations..." That's interesting. I have a late T with a Texas T front oiler installed on the hogshead. The engine is tight and no blowby is visible looking into the oil filler pipe, even when revving the engine. Oil leakage is very minimal, probably about the same as a brand new T. However, the engine will smoke after a period of idling. It does not smoke going down the highway, and oil use is very low, even running the car 45 mph for miles on end. I had an idea that maybe it is getting too much oil in the rod troughs for idle and low speed running. Your experience seems to indicate that may well be the case. Valve action is good and I've seen no indication of plug fouling. I don't want to remove the oiler, since this car is capable of going faster than it really has any business going, but I am thinking maybe putting some kind of restriction orifice in the line may be a good idea, maybe even a petcock type valve to regulate it. From what I've read here, this type of oiler can really move a lot of oil up to the front of the pan.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 19, 2021 3:56 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 3:20 pm
Re: "YES. Excessive smoke from high vacuum situations..." That's interesting. I have a late T with a Texas T front oiler installed on the hogshead. The engine is tight and no blowby is visible looking into the oil filler pipe, even when revving the engine. Oil leakage is very minimal, probably about the same as a brand new T. However, the engine will smoke after a period of idling. It does not smoke going down the highway, and oil use is very low, even running the car 45 mph for miles on end. I had an idea that maybe it is getting too much oil in the rod troughs for idle and low speed running. Your experience seems to indicate that may well be the case. Valve action is good and I've seen no indication of plug fouling. I don't want to remove the oiler, since this car is capable of going faster than it really has any business going, but I am thinking maybe putting some kind of restriction orifice in the line may be a good idea, maybe even a petcock type valve to regulate it. From what I've read here, this type of oiler can really move a lot of oil up to the front of the pan.
Before I sold the 1921 with lower mile somewhat fresh engine, I was seeing the same thing. I was using something like 3/8 id tubing and fittings and was thinking also that there was too much oil going to the front. I think I even asked about it and got kinda Poo-pooed over it.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic