Brake light switch

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Brake light switch

Post by FundyTides » Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Anybody have any recommendations on the best brake light switch for my 27 T? It currently has a switch that was rigged up by a past owner using a lever operated mechanical switch connected to the pedal arm using wire and a spring. It sometimes sticks and keeps the light on. I would like to install a dependable switch and see that there are several different ones available from the dealers. I would appreciate any input based on your experience with any of the available switch arrangements. If it matters, I just have a stock brake system.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Brake light switch

Post by Art M » Sat May 22, 2021 12:59 pm

David,
What you have might need some adjustment and a little fiddling. I have what sounds like what you have and it works great. It does not interfere when removing the transmission inspection plate.
It took a little time to get it set right. Other model t owners have also had good luck with the switch arrangement.
Art Mirtes

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870

Post by jsaylor » Sat May 22, 2021 1:08 pm

I have the factory original brake light switch on my 27 Tudor. It mounts on the bendix cover. Works well and never needs adjusting. I found another one at a swap meet and put it on my 21 Touring. I believe they are available from the vendors, reproduction.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Sat May 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi David,
Sounds like you may have a switch going bad. I think after a while they all do. I have tried most of the ones the venders sell with good results. I like the one that clamps around the starter cover best because I have accessory brakes. The one that bolts on the trans cover is half the price. And the switch can be purchased seperatly if needed.
Craig

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat May 22, 2021 2:14 pm

My favorite is one from a '49-54 Chev (sorry for the foul language). Easy to mount on a "home-made" with an arm that can be activated by something on the cross shaft or even the pedal. They are spring loaded to the "off" position and ultra durable.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat May 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Sounds like the Fun Project brake light switch. If installed and adjusted properly it is the BEST switch on earth, hands down. Yes, the "range" on it is slim to keep it from activating when you don't want it to, but when you get it right, you have a brake light that you can activate by just tapping ur brake pedal. Great for getting idiots off your tail! I love it.
Yes, maybe the switch is going bad, but frankly I doubt it. John used the best quality stuff money could buy. Again, assuming it IS a F.P. switch. Post a pic of it and I can tell you. I'm still looking for another one but they are all but impossible to find now.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat May 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Friend has 28/29 Model A brake light switch mounted to bottom bolt on inspection plate by one ear and simple wire connection to brake pedal that has been in use for many years with no issues.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic