Tulare Brass-Era/Pre-War Swap Meet--Whats Next!!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
67pontiac
First Name: William
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1913 Roadster 1919 TT 1920 Huckster 1922 Touring 1926 RPU
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by 67pontiac » Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm

As promised here's the new thread about the upcoming Tulare Swap Meet events. The next Swap Meet is already in the planning/registration stages. It will be held on October 2nd of this year. (Call (559)688-one zero three zero to reserve your space), ask to speak to Chrystal. This will, again, be a one-day event. Very much the same lay-out as May 1st with the general swap meet adjacent to the Brass-Era/Pre-War grid. If you were a vendor at the May 1st event, you have 'til approximately August 1st to make sure you can have "your" swap space again. If you would like a different space, you can put in your request. After August 1st, (approximately), the spaces will be available on a first come-first served basis. There is PLENTY of room, so no-one will be left out due to a lack of real estate. We are going to try and do this twice a year and see how it works. The decision to continue with two events per year will ultimately be determined by the response of both the vendors and buyers. If there is a request/demand for spaces for clubs to have a spot, we are working on having slightly smaller "information" spaces available at no cost. These "information" spaces will be grouped together. This is just a start of this thread. I'll have LOTS of more information to post about additional possibilities as well as what is in store for next April. Stay tuned for updates!! With Kind Regards, Bill Bennett

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Re: Tulare Brass-Era/Pre-War Swap Meet--Whats Next!!!

Post by OilyBill » Sun May 30, 2021 11:22 pm

What is it with these guys!??
The Hershey Fall meet is October 6th, through October 9th, 2021!
Every date they plan for, is either right on top of, or very close to, some other major car event.
Just like they stepped on the Maricopa guys this year.
Why don't they make it October 23rd, or October 30th?

Mark Chaffin
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Chaffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Speedster, 1927 Lake Roadster
MTFCA Number: 31705
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Mark Chaffin » Mon May 31, 2021 12:37 am

Like the last meet, it was piggy backed with the pre-scheduled other meet that was being held. You have to take what available dates you can get. A four day window between the October meet and Hershey sounds doable if you plan on attending both. I thought the Tulare meet was well organized and as good or better than Bakersfield. Well worth the extra miles driving to get there. I look forward to returning in October.

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Mon May 31, 2021 8:21 am

It’s called money. If you put two swap meets even on opposite sides of the country that close together I have to decide whether to spend at one or the other. Give a slight gap and people have a chance to save or re-evaluate or anything else. Also say Restoration Hardware can’t move its display that quickly between two venues. Where will they decide to go?

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 am

To me it is apples and oranges. Hershey is a once in a great while, if at all, for your average west coast hobbyist. A second brass era in California is a big plus after all the meets we have lost over the years. Yes, Restoration Hardware is better served going to Hershey. But most of the vendors from May are not going across country to sell Model T parts.

It was unfortunate that the Tulare and Arizona dates clashed this year, but this early schedule announcement for next year is a good sign.

Andy

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm

Peter, I agree with your points!
I don't know how many sales groups Restoration Supply has (I was 2 spaces over from them in Tulare, and they had a nice display) but if they only have one sales group, I would think that their decision in October is going to be to attend Hershey. Especially since they don't just deal with Model T stuff. I'm sure they make a lot of sales from the Europeans who come over for Hershey, and the brass car restorers on the East coast. For them to ignore Hershey, and go to Tulare/October would probably be a bad decision for them. But if they have more than 1 sales group, then they could send one to Tulare/October, and one to Hershey.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:16 am

Hi Bill πŸ‘‹

Thanks Again for putting in the effort to bring
a much needed pre-war swap meet to the west coast
in the Fall.

For those that attended the earlier meet
as you know the facility & accommodations
were excellent.

The vendors & customers gave it high praise.

I will be there πŸ‘

FJ
Google β€œ Model T Transport β€œ
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
67pontiac
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1913 Roadster 1919 TT 1920 Huckster 1922 Touring 1926 RPU

Post by 67pontiac » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:02 pm

It's been a few months since I have been able to post anything about the up-coming October Swap Meet in Tulare. I've been diligently getting two pre-WWI race cars ready for the Monterey Historic Races. That event went well and now I can concentrate some time on the October Tulare Swap Meet. This meet will be essentially the same as the May event; with the following changes. The vendors will be allowed in at 5:30 Saturday morning to set-up their spaces. This is 30 minutes earlier than in May. (Friday set-up from 9:00am to 9:00pm will be the same as in May. There will be additional food vendors available on Friday and they will be dispersed more evenly throughout the grounds, (more coffee will be available on Friday morning). The parts hauling/pick-up system will be improved and a fork lift will be available for the heavy items. We will have more gates open for public access. We will also have a designated area for the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association to display their items for sale. (I'll explain more about that in a later post). The meet will be opening to the public at 7:00am Saturday morning. As with any new event/venue, there will be/are some logistical "issues" to work out. I believe the folks at the Agri-Center are willing to listen to constructive criticism and will truly put on a truly world-class event. May was a resounding success and I hope October will be as well. The only way events such as this are going to continue is if they are supported by the vendors and, just as, (if not more importantly), by the buyers. I can't do anything about the dates. They are set by other people and it is impossible to set a date that doesn't conflict with some other event. The spaces are selling at a brisk pace so it looks like there should be plenty of vendor's goodies for people to peruse. I'll post more information about the event soon. Please consider attending, We're hoping to have a lot of fun. With Kind Regards, Bill B.

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Bill πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the update.
I am in Long Beach for the next week.
I will try to stop & pay you a visit on my trip up to Seattle.

FJ

Topic author
67pontiac

Post by 67pontiac » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Sorry for the delay in up-dates, I've been "under the weather" for the past week. More information will be posted soon. I hope to see many of you in Tulare this October and again next April. Let's have some fun!! Kind Regards, Bill Bennett

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Bump for the Meet πŸ‘

FJ

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:13 am

Morning Bump From Orcas Island, WA πŸ‘

FJ

Topic author
67pontiac

Post by 67pontiac » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:43 pm

Again, its been a little while since the last up-date, so here goes!! The swap spaces are selling briskly and we have nearly as many sold as in April for the May event. (I hope that makes sense). I'm seeing a few comments in the "parts for sale" section of the forum advertising free delivery of parts to the Tulare Swap Meet. This is also encouraging! I'll have four spaces on row "H" with lots of neat "T" items at reasonable prices, so come by and have a look and say hi! I mentioned the Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association in my last update. They usually have a swap meet at the International Agri Center on the first week-end of November. They decided to move their swap meet to combine with the October date. They will have their own area dedicated to vendors selling gas engine and tractor goodies. It will probably be a small area, but would be well worth giving it a look. Reserve your swap space(s), make plans to attend as a buyer, just be prepared to have fun!! Just a few weeks away and I'm hoping the weather will be very pleasant. I look forward to seeing many of you in Tulare on October 2nd. I'll start giving up-dates every few days 'til the swap meet. With Kind Regards, Bill Bennett

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 am

Two events per year is over doing it. It should be left as it was for Bakersfield.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:32 am

If two events per year are both well attended, so much the better.

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:55 pm

A7CFC115-690B-448F-97E1-5EDA6791F9C5.jpeg

Jim

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Vendor registration seems to be on track to meet or possibly exceed the numbers in May if I am correct … πŸ€”

Perhaps Bill can chime in as to whether there are spaces available.

FJ

Topic author
67pontiac

Post by 67pontiac » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi All!! Just a few days 'til the Friday move-in day!! 9:00am-9:00pm. Additional set-up time for the vendors 5:30am-7:00am Saturday morning. Gates open to the public at 7:00am Saturday morning. The vendor spaces are selling very well, but there is still space if you want to come to the meet as a vendor. Even if all the spaces fill up, the field can and will be expanded to meet the demand. One thing we are not lacking is room!! If you're coming as a buyer, I'm sure you won't be disappointed either. It looks like there will be a lot of goodies at the show to peruse. I'll have four spaces on row "H" so stop by and say hi!! I'll have lots of "T" stuff that will be priced to sell!! If there's anything in particular you're looking for, let me know and I'll try to bring the parts you need. If you're a vendor, tell us what you're bringing. If you're a buyer, tell us what you're looking for. This should be a lot of fun!! I'm looking forward to it and I hope you are too! I look forward to seeing many of you in Tulare! Kind Regards, Bill.

Topic author
67pontiac

Post by 67pontiac » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:12 pm

Let's bump this up to the top again.

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:08 pm

Oh …..
I don’t know about that …. πŸ€”

FJ

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:35 am

Bring a hat and some sunscreen 🌞

8FBE48F0-4495-4B94-B8B6-238C27A6EF7F.jpeg

FJ

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:12 pm

I am onsite.

In a live video interview with Jim - I learned at least (400) vendors have pre-registered.

Spaces are still available.

Vendor set up starts tomorrow at 9:00 am
and runs until 9:00 pm.

FJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic