Broken cam gear

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Broken cam gear

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Last weekend, 7 model T's headed out for a 4 day camping trip to Death Valley from Orange county. A 700+ mile round trip. We all had a great time dry camping In the open desert. On day 4, cruising @ a comfortable 45mph about 150 miles from home, the engine developed a nasty gear noise. I pulled over & figured the noise was coming from the timing gear mesh. Looking into the oil filler hole while running didnt tell me anything. I have a generator grounding switch/idiot light in the cab. When grounding out the generator, the noise went away. Thought the generator gear got loose. So down the road we continued with the generator grounded off. Made it another 100 miles, then It was like the ignition died.
Tested the coil for spark. Set the crank pin horizontal & noticed the rotor in the middle of 2 plug wires. Thats odd! Pulled #1 spark plug & had a guy hand crank, me checking for compression. Got suck, but no compression. Thats odd! I then did a Mexican compression test. Near no compression resistance. Dead. To the chase trailer.

Next day, "I gots to know!" Did some more looking @ the cam gear thru the oil fill hole. Looked like the generator gear slid forward. More lookin & crank turning, I saw it. An edge of one of the 3 spokes was visible. Broken Iron Cam Gear. Nothing wrong with the generator. The 3 spokes of the cam gear had broken & by continued use, the ends wore enough that it slipped 90 degrees out of time. The gear slid back behind the hub.

This was the first motor I ever built using an original timing gear in 40 years & the last. The gear was in great shape, no wear, on cracks. I replaced it with a Dan McEachen bronze gear. Back up & running.

Any comments? Are original timing gears prone to breaking?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Broken cam gear

Post by Kerry » Fri May 28, 2021 7:05 pm

Never seen or heard of it happening at my end of the world :D

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm with Frank, I have never seen a broken original cam gear in more than 55 years of T driving.

Allan from down under

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri May 28, 2021 9:47 pm

Never seen anything like that either! I have one original iron cam gear that I pulled out of a really worn out motor that the teeth are all worn down to nearly razor sharp! It was so amazing that I have kept it now for nearly fifty years.
I have seen a few strip the teeth due to problems with the generator or a magneto, but never broken spokes unless it was hit hard somehow.
Being on a really tight budget? Good original iron gears is all I have used for years.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:49 pm

Ill be #3 to say I have never seen a broken cast iron cam gear in over 40 years of messing with Ts.

Topic author
speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 28, 2021 9:57 pm

Wow, didnt expect these responses. I had heard, at some point , Ford changed the design from 4 spokes to 3 for added strength. I, too have not heard of anyone having this kind of failure.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 pm

I seem to recall that somewhere I read that the new 4 spoke "helical" gear was stronger than the later 3 spoke - this was 40 + years ago though ! I run Ford steel gears in my T's except the Racer which has Dan's matching gears in it - bronze cam & steel crank. Never have heard of a steel gear failure either !

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri May 28, 2021 11:38 pm

Way back when the only aftermarket gears available were fiber, all the go fast guys would only run the 4 spoke cam gears or use the straight cut early gears. Joe Gemsa offered a steel, solid web cam gear for sale on a limited basis, but yes, it was common break the 3 spoke gears. Green Engineering did offer a solid hub steel cam gear along with their other goodies. The helical gears do add a bit of an axial load to the gear set.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 am

I wonder if the problem is related to poor gear mesh fit up? I always CAREFULLY check the gear mesh of both the crank to cam and the cam to generator. Just a thought.

Topic author
speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Sat May 29, 2021 12:13 pm

I used this cam gear for its minimal wear. Only original gear I have ever found as usable. Gear mesh was correct, a bit more clearence than the book recommends due to a little wear, but not excessively noisy.
I always check the generator gear mesh & shim the mount per spec. Many folks over look this.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sat May 29, 2021 7:12 pm

If your internal oil line is clogged it will starve the timing gears for oil. Most external oil lines dump the oil behind the gears so your bearings will survive but the gears will grind themselves up. Ask me how I know this.

Topic author
speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Sun May 30, 2021 9:36 pm

Erik Barrett wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:12 pm
If your internal oil line is clogged it will starve the timing gears for oil. Most external oil lines dump the oil behind the gears so your bearings will survive but the gears will grind themselves up. Ask me how I know this.
aw shoot, I should have run a speedo cable up the tube when I had access. Didnt think of it.
I am not worried about it being clogged. I run kevlar. 1)There is no band lining to clog the funnel. 2) The last time I checked the transmission screen, after a long time of running, had only a little iron on the magnet. 3)When I first stopped after the noise started, I pulled the filler cap while running, there was plenty of oil flinging off the gears.
Good idea though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic