Rogue Magnet

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Rogue Magnet

Post by Craig Leach » Mon May 31, 2021 4:35 pm

I have never had to try this. A friend just had a magnet come off and lock up the engine, fortunately the engine was just above an idle. Question is can you get the magnets out with the hogs head off with a four dip pan? (He's not realy set up to pull the engine) He has a distributer to put on it.
Thanks Guys.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Rogue Magnet

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon May 31, 2021 4:59 pm

No. The mag ring with field coils is blocking your access to the magnet bolts. The flywheel needs to be unbolted from the crankshaft. To do that you must remove the crankcase. I can't imagine doing that without pulling the whole engine.
Rich
When did I do that?

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm

The locking up of the engine by a "flying magnet" has put a tremendous amount of stress on the crankshaft and the rear main bearing area of the block. At this point the engine needs to be pulled, dismantled, and carefully inspected. Have the crank magnefluxed and the engine block around the rear main. You may find cracks in the webbing that supports the rear main bearing area.
Sad to say, switching to a distributor and continuing to run that engine is not a viable option.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 31, 2021 6:53 pm

I agree with David. Also if you remove the magnets, you will need slingers to keep the oil circulating around the engine and transmission.
You are very fortunate that the magnet did not destroy the hogs head or the crankcase. Maybe you can find a club member in your area who can help you pull the engine and help you with the work. It is really not very hard if you have the right equipment. I do think you should inspect everything because of the stress.
Norm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm

I agree with David. Also if you remove the magnets, you will need slingers to keep the oil circulating around the engine and transmission.
You are very fortunate that the magnet did not destroy the hogs head or the crankcase. Maybe you can find a club member in your area who can help you pull the engine and help you with the work. It is really not very hard if you have the right equipment. I do think you should inspect everything because of the stress.
Norm

Topic author
Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks guys,
He will just need to figure out how to get the engine out & apart. He's in the proccess of moving a couple of states away so its hard for me to help him. Maybe he will find someone near by to help once he gets settled.
Thanks. Craig.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:29 pm

If he is moving? It would probably be best to move the car as is mostly intact and deal with it when he gets a bit settled. Hopefully, that wouldn't turn into a decade or two of waiting to be fixed.

To the original question? Yes, the magnets can be removed, and paddles installed with the hogshead (and pan cover) removed. Is it worth it? NO! Getting the magnet bolts out through the pan cover is bad enough! You can't get to the brass screw heads with a screwdriver with the field coil in the way! The field coil cannot be removed from an assembled engine short of breaking it into pieces (which may not be all that bad considering it was likely damaged when the magnet broke?). Then one would still have to remove the bolted in remains of the field coil ring lest those pieces shake loose and cause more serious damage. It just turns into hours and hours of miserable fun.
Other than a middle-of-nowhere emergency roadside repair? Much better to pull the engine and do it right!

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Wouldn't even try it in the car, even if you manage to break up the field coil enough to remove in pieces you still have the oil pipe to contend with, trying not to damage it and re-bolting etc.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:27 pm

I'm with Wayne. Move and get settled, then deal with the T. I agree with the other guys too. The engine has to come out. Even if it was possible in theory to do the work in the car (I don't believe it is) it would be an absolute nightmare. In the real world, it has to come out.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:24 am

Where is your friend moving to ? If close to me, I’d be glad to help him pull and dismantle the engine. I’m sure others would too.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:39 am

One thing I did not see addressed ( maybe I missed it) is the risk of the triple gear pins coming loose if magnets are removed. They can come out where the magnets held them in. I have not seen this but have heard of it happening. You will need a ring to prevent this.
They are available, I install one on each flywheel I remove the magnets from. Dan
Last edited by Dan Hatch on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:25 am

Hi George,
Turns out he may not be very far from you. Hes in the north part of metro area of Austin. I'll send you an email.
Thanks. Craig.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic