Cut-down Touring Pickup - rear end rebuild thread

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Cut-down Touring Pickup - rear end rebuild thread

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Had a good day getting started on the rebuild of my model T rear axle with dad. It goes under my soon to be on the road 1915 cut down touring roadster pickup. Using some of dad's home made jigs, this is his third axle rebuild and my first. I'm learning and he still is too. Trying to do it right guided by Mr. Chaffin's book.
Today was just a disassembly day. Good we took it apart. Babbitt thrust washers, a sheared off pin at the universal joint, a terrible axle end and other minor maladies were discovered and will be corrected prior to reassembly. Several times today we both said we'd never regularly drive a new to us T without going through the rear. Too many small issues that can be found and caught before they become bigger ones.
I'll update this thread as we go through the process. The axle will be completely refreshed mechanically to make it dependable and SAFE and left alone cosmetically. Thought folks would enjoy a thread like this with plenty of photos to ogle, and enjoy
Attachments
The truck frame and body is safely supported on jack stands and a digging iron made from a New Idea manure spreader axle.
The truck frame and body is safely supported on jack stands and a digging iron made from a New Idea manure spreader axle.
Rolling it out.
Rolling it out.
IMG_20210601_222306457.jpg
Empty jig...
Empty jig...
Full jig...
Full jig...
Last edited by Retro54 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Re: Cut-down Touring Pickup - rear end rebuild thread

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:35 pm

Some more shots
Attachments
Another shot of the jig, the axle sits in it firmly.
Another shot of the jig, the axle sits in it firmly.
Rear axle manual by Mr. Chaffin. Always good to have a good reference when you don't do this every day.
Rear axle manual by Mr. Chaffin. Always good to have a good reference when you don't do this every day.
Close up of the rear and drive shaft spool
Close up of the rear and drive shaft spool
Ball joint end
Ball joint end
Backing plate.  Might be hard to see, but interesting to see all the brazing at the wishbone connection.
Backing plate. Might be hard to see, but interesting to see all the brazing at the wishbone connection.
Last edited by Retro54 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:35 pm

Some more shots
Attachments
The spool has nuts and studs, not bolts as in later cars.
The spool has nuts and studs, not bolts as in later cars.
Separating the axle from driveshaft
Separating the axle from driveshaft
Pinion gear and spool.  Seems decent at first glance, will tell more once cleaned up.
Pinion gear and spool. Seems decent at first glance, will tell more once cleaned up.
Rear end.  Photo pointing to remind myself which side the ring gear was on.
Rear end. Photo pointing to remind myself which side the ring gear was on.
Rear axle jig.  With the wooden plank firmly screwed into the work bench, loosening the bolts to separate the axle halves is a breeze.
Rear axle jig. With the wooden plank firmly screwed into the work bench, loosening the bolts to separate the axle halves is a breeze.
Last edited by Retro54 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:36 pm

Some more shots
Attachments
Close up of axle housing
Close up of axle housing
Dad said he thought the springs were accessories that worked grease into the center of the axle as it rotated. Thinking these are accessories, meaning this has been apart before!
Dad said he thought the springs were accessories that worked grease into the center of the axle as it rotated. Thinking these are accessories, meaning this has been apart before!
One of the nicest Babbitt thrust washers you will ever find. Little wear!  May have been replaced in the early 60s, which is the last time this car was worked on. Maybe original?  Not very likely.
One of the nicest Babbitt thrust washers you will ever find. Little wear! May have been replaced in the early 60s, which is the last time this car was worked on. Maybe original? Not very likely.
Making progress!
Making progress!
P is for Passenger side... lots of grease to remove.
P is for Passenger side... lots of grease to remove.
Last edited by Retro54 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Last shots until next time!
Attachments
The other side.  Also a nice, thick Babbitt washer here.  Most of the spools were tight, which is a nice find.  Some races need replaced as expected.
The other side. Also a nice, thick Babbitt washer here. Most of the spools were tight, which is a nice find. Some races need replaced as expected.
Parts ready for decrgreasing.
Parts ready for decrgreasing.
Last edited by Retro54 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:40 pm

Forgot a shot of the terrible axle end! There should be threads all the way out... right? Haha.. a salvaged axle will replace this one.
Attachments
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am

The oil return springs on the axles can be installed by removing the outer bearing on the axle and sliding the spring onto the axle. It was not necessary to split the housings to install.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:54 pm

Jack Putnam, in Ohio wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am
The oil return springs on the axles can be installed by removing the outer bearing on the axle and sliding the spring onto the axle. It was not necessary to split the housings to install.
Good to know! We never installed any, so didn't know. The safety wire doesn't quite look like a nice tight Ford installation, so we are still leaning on this being apart once or so... of not, that Babbitt is like brand new for it to be 1915 oem.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm

I wonder if the oil return springs will do anything if they are loose around the axle like the picture?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:00 pm

That is what is commonly known as the 1913/'14 style rear end. They were actually used a bit longer than that. Many late 1912 models beginning about July of 1912 used that style, as did early 1915 cars. Both the earlier 1912/'15 rear ends like yours, and the later 1915/'16 rear ends were used randomly from the factory for the first few months of calendar year 1915. Years ago, original survivor cars built as late as June were sometimes seen with the earlier rear ends, however there was always some doubt that maybe the rear end had been changed at some time in its past. Back in the 1960s and '70s, most of the hobby felt a need to correct such "errors" and replaced what they perceived as anachronisms, even though in many cases they were originally manufactured that way. Because of that, a lot of those things mostly don't exist today.
I would suggest keeping it the way it was.
Original era photographs rarely show enough detail of the rear end to know which style the car had. In spite of that, I have seen a few era photographs showing the 1912/'15 rear end in early 1915 cars. If I can find one in the next several days (I have thousands of era photographs saved on my computer!)? I will try to post it here so you could have evidence to support your car as being correct. If I don't post it? I didn't find it (I lost nearly a thousand saved photos to a computer partial meltdown a few years ago).

Regardless how nice those 'Babbitt' washers look? DO NOT USE THEM! They were alright a hundred years ago. And if they did fail, at the speeds and on the roads of the day? One limped it home, no harm, no foul.
Unfortunately, the metals used in that 'Babbitt' mix, are seriously susceptible to chemical reactions over the years that have made the 'Babbitt" brittle. How brittle varies from one washer or rear end, to the next. There is no safe way to know if any one of them is marginally safe to use or not. So replacing them is the only right thing to do.

I put Babbitt in '--' because although the material is technically Babbitt, it is not the same Babbitt as used in a model T's bearings. And the reason "Babbitt" is capitalized, is that it was named after the fellow that invented the stuff back in the early/mid 1800s.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:00 pm
That is what is commonly known as the 1913/'14 style rear end. They were actually used a bit longer than that. Many late 1912 models beginning about July of 1912 used that style, as did early 1915 cars. Both the earlier 1912/'15 rear ends like yours, and the later 1915/'16 rear ends were used randomly from the factory for the first few months of calendar year 1915. Years ago, original survivor cars built as late as June were sometimes seen with the earlier rear ends, however there was always some doubt that maybe the rear end had been changed at some time in its past. Back in the 1960s and '70s, most of the hobby felt a need to correct such "errors" and replaced what they perceived as anachronisms, even though in many cases they were originally manufactured that way. Because of that, a lot of those things mostly don't exist today.
I would suggest keeping it the way it was.
Original era photographs rarely show enough detail of the rear end to know which style the car had. In spite of that, I have seen a few era photographs showing the 1912/'15 rear end in early 1915 cars. If I can find one in the next several days (I have thousands of era photographs saved on my computer!)? I will try to post it here so you could have evidence to support your car as being correct. If I don't post it? I didn't find it (I lost nearly a thousand saved photos to a computer partial meltdown a few years ago).

Regardless how nice those 'Babbitt' washers look? DO NOT USE THEM! They were alright a hundred years ago. And if they did fail, at the speeds and on the roads of the day? One limped it home, no harm, no foul.
Unfortunately, the metals used in that 'Babbitt' mix, are seriously susceptible to chemical reactions over the years that have made the 'Babbitt" brittle. How brittle varies from one washer or rear end, to the next. There is no safe way to know if any one of them is marginally safe to use or not. So replacing them is the only right thing to do.

I put Babbitt in '--' because although the material is technically Babbitt, it is not the same Babbitt as used in a model T's bearings. And the reason "Babbitt" is capitalized, is that it was named after the fellow that invented the stuff back in the early/mid 1800s.
Wayne, thank you so much for the wisdom and info! Much appreciated. Yes, the Babbitt is being replaced, that is one of the main reasons for disassembly, although everything in the rear is getting disassembled and cleaned and inspected before reassembly.

This car is a January 1915 Beaudette touring. While the engine was replaced sometime before 1962, the remainder of the car does not show signs of being 'pieced together' and has enough of the 'right parts' for a car being assembled in the early part of the 1915 calendar year. That being said, it is a cut down touring and the back half of the car and rear fenders were long gone before I got it. I really, really appreciate your information on the rear axle in reference to 1915. Jibes with what I've read on Royce's website and other post regarding early model year 1915 cars.

I would really enjoy seeing the period photos and look forward to seeing one of you can find them. If you frequent Fall Hershey, you'll be able to see the car in the Chocolate field and I'd enjoy meeting you.

Andy
Attachments
The body plate nailed to the top of the front seat riser.
The body plate nailed to the top of the front seat riser.
The car with a truck bed dad and I built last year.
The car with a truck bed dad and I built last year.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:05 am

The Canadians did the same thing, using up older parts in the assembly of later cars. I know of one 1915 original and intact tourer, now restored, which not only had the earlier back axle assembly, it also had the two piece riveted steering case on the steering column.

Allan from down under.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:46 am

A January built body would be a very early 1915 open car. Bodies may or may not have sat at the factory for awhile, and most likely would have been assembled on a car by March at the latest assuming the body did not have production flaws that needed to be fixed. If I recall correctly from Royce (who has done serious research into the early 1915 models!), only about a thousand touring cars were assembled in January. So your car was likely a very early 1915 model touring car.

Allen, Quite a few USA early 1915 cars also had the riveted steering gear cases on them! Other odd things included the transition front fenders with four rivet brackets like earlier years, but the 1915 bill and beads. When I was getting started in this hobby, I met a lot of people with late 1914s that had early 1915 engines. Most of those were changed out to "correct an error" and replaced with 1914 or even 1913 engines. We now KNOW that the 1914 style runabouts and touring cars were being manufactured as late as April of 1915 and the early 1915 engines in those cars were likely correct from the factory.
A lot of early 1915s had the four rivet front fenders, most of those got replaced by the more common three rivet 1915/'16 fenders. Again, always said to "correct an error". Personally, I think a lot of honest history was destroyed by hobbyists a half century ago. I do hope people are learning to do better?

I looked through a few hundred photos so far, and found this one.
1915newearlychassis.jpg
From the look of the curves transitioning from the 'pumpkin' to the tubes, I am fairly sure this early 1915 chassis has the 1912/'15 twelve rivet rear end.
It looks to have the later one-piece steering gear case.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:57 am

I zoomed in as close as the picture would allow. While the modern digital world offers a great deal of information with just a few computer clicks, digitized images often loose considerable detail if they are not handled with extreme levels of resolution data. I have seen glass plate photos digitized on sites like Shorpy that one can see scratches in a single brick in a building across the street! Too many photos when zoomed in close have lost way too much detail in the digitization process. I suspect the original prints of this photo had considerable more detail in them.

Not likely I will ever get to Hershey. Too far for me with my limited budgets.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 am

Found another one! Might not be quite the definitive example (which would be an open car early 1915?)? It is an early 1915 couplet, but clearly has the twelve rivet rear end. Being a couplet, it could have been manufactured as early as October of 1914, so use of the earlier rear end may not have been unusual.
early15Tcouplet.jpg
early15Tcouplet.jpg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 3069 times

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:53 am

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:46 am
A January built body would be a very early 1915 open car. Bodies may or may not have sat at the factory for awhile, and most likely would have been assembled on a car by March at the latest assuming the body did not have production flaws that needed to be fixed. If I recall correctly from Royce (who has done serious research into the early 1915 models!), only about a thousand touring cars were assembled in January. So your car was likely a very early 1915 model touring car.

Allen, Quite a few USA early 1915 cars also had the riveted steering gear cases on them! Other odd things included the transition front fenders with four rivet brackets like earlier years, but the 1915 bill and beads. When I was getting started in this hobby, I met a lot of people with late 1914s that had early 1915 engines. Most of those were changed out to "correct an error" and replaced with 1914 or even 1913 engines. We now KNOW that the 1914 style runabouts and touring cars were being manufactured as late as April of 1915 and the early 1915 engines in those cars were likely correct from the factory.
A lot of early 1915s had the four rivet front fenders, most of those got replaced by the more common three rivet 1915/'16 fenders. Again, always said to "correct an error". Personally, I think a lot of honest history was destroyed by hobbyists a half century ago. I do hope people are learning to do better?

I looked through a few hundred photos so far, and found this one.

1915newearlychassis.jpg

From the look of the curves transitioning from the 'pumpkin' to the tubes, I am fairly sure this early 1915 chassis has the 1912/'15 twelve rivet rear end.
It looks to have the later one-piece steering gear case.
Awesome info Wayne, thank you. I totally understand about Hershey. I've lived 15 minutes away my entire life, so I'm spoiled.

Sharing info like this is what makes the hobby fun. I'll have to examine your photos closer on the laptop. Thank you very much for taking the time to look through your stash. Here is a shot of my front. Fenders have the 4 rivet brackets. I can't wait to get this car on the road, it'll be fun!
Attachments
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 pm

Got back to the home garage on Friday and spent a relaxing afternoon with Dad, taking the last of the rear axle apart, organizing parts, and checking some against tolerances to see if they need replacing. Sure is coming along ! Dad has been working steadily cleaning things up between the last time out, which helps me out a lot staying on track with getting this back together. Not much more cleaning to do, soon it is time for reassembly! I'll post some photos in a few minutes showing the progress. Not too much to see, but everyone likes pictures right??

Andy
Attachments
Just about all the parts for the axle laid out and being checked
Just about all the parts for the axle laid out and being checked
IMG_20210619_205318386.jpg
Axle housings. These are the 1913/14 style which were phased out over the 1915 model year. This helps to tell the tale that this car is an early 1915 production car.
Axle housings. These are the 1913/14 style which were phased out over the 1915 model year. This helps to tell the tale that this car is an early 1915 production car.
Label everything, and take pictures!
Label everything, and take pictures!
Original FORD Universal joint, checked out within tolerance and will be used again.  FORD labeled everything!
Original FORD Universal joint, checked out within tolerance and will be used again. FORD labeled everything!
Last edited by Retro54 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Right!!!!!

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:01 pm

More pictures! That took more than a few minutes!
Attachments
Driveshaft housing and spool.
Driveshaft housing and spool.
Driveshaft bearings.  The one I am holding is a nice and tight replacement for the original one in the back which was rather loose.
Driveshaft bearings. The one I am holding is a nice and tight replacement for the original one in the back which was rather loose.
It helps to have the right tools for the job.
It helps to have the right tools for the job.
Replacement driveshafts. Not as worn as the ones in my car. It is helpful to have a dad and brother who have collected lots of spare parts!
Replacement driveshafts. Not as worn as the ones in my car. It is helpful to have a dad and brother who have collected lots of spare parts!
KitchenAid makes the best degreasing pans!  Ring gear and spider gears ready for cleaning.
KitchenAid makes the best degreasing pans! Ring gear and spider gears ready for cleaning.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:03 pm

The car... awaiting the rebuilt rear axle and new rubber!
Attachments
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Got out to dads garage July 3rd and got the new wear parts installed in the the driveshaft and the driveshaft ready to go back in the car. Next time will be the rear axle and housings. Getting there!
Attachments
Clean parts ready for assembly. (Thanks Dad!)
Clean parts ready for assembly. (Thanks Dad!)
New brass bushing installed in the housing.
New brass bushing installed in the housing.
The housing and spool. The silver end of the driveshaft to the right rides on a bearing in the spool to the left.
The housing and spool. The silver end of the driveshaft to the right rides on a bearing in the spool to the left.
Universal joint, driveshaft end and 13/16 socket with sandpaper glued to it we used to face the brass bushing to meet tolerances..
Universal joint, driveshaft end and 13/16 socket with sandpaper glued to it we used to face the brass bushing to meet tolerances..

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Some more shots!
Attachments
Driveshaft in the spool ready for pinion gear.
Driveshaft in the spool ready for pinion gear.
Pinion gear installed and nut torqued.
Pinion gear installed and nut torqued.
Proud of my text book cotter pin installation.
Proud of my text book cotter pin installation.
Universal joint installed.. All ready to go!
Universal joint installed.. All ready to go!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Drive shaft pix shows 1 washer. Should be 3 pieces. 2 thrust washers & a caged ball bearing between.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm

We prefer cage-less free range ball bearings. More natural that way.

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Retro54 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
Love to see a pix of it. Is that something you came across thru a T vender or your research?

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:51 am

speedytinc wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:09 pm
Retro54 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
Love to see a pix of it. Is that something you came across thru a T vender or your research?
You didn't catch my joke... on these earlier ones there are two 'race washers' and 15 free floating ball bearings. Not shown in the photos to protect the innocent.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:10 am

That explains it. I see that now. I dont use this type too often. Thanks.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Some more updates from the last few weeks of Re-assembling the 1915 era rear axle for the RPU. Gonna be a big photo dump, as it's in the truck now.
Attachments
Spider gear in the middle, ring gear on the outside.
Spider gear in the middle, ring gear on the outside.
Carrier being put back together. Feeler gauge trick is one from a Stan Howe post.  Put your two axles in and keep inserting progressively thicker gauges until you get the desired backlash. Then you know how thick your disks between axles need to be. Brilliant and simple, just like Mr. Howe.
Carrier being put back together. Feeler gauge trick is one from a Stan Howe post. Put your two axles in and keep inserting progressively thicker gauges until you get the desired backlash. Then you know how thick your disks between axles need to be. Brilliant and simple, just like Mr. Howe.
This little disk goes between each separate axle and the thickness has to be altered to eliminate backlash on the differential. Time consuming process, but as I said above, brilliant and simple. Here we are measuring to match thickness per the feeler gauge.
This little disk goes between each separate axle and the thickness has to be altered to eliminate backlash on the differential. Time consuming process, but as I said above, brilliant and simple. Here we are measuring to match thickness per the feeler gauge.
Spider gears installed.
Spider gears installed.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Next steps in our process!
Attachments
Carrier back together.
Carrier back together.
Inner roller bearing lubed up with Lucas Oil Red n Tacky grease.
Inner roller bearing lubed up with Lucas Oil Red n Tacky grease.
Other half of housing with lubricated thrust washer.
Other half of housing with lubricated thrust washer.
Back together again! Dad is very proud of the drag and backlash he was able to achieve. This rear meshes like new!
Back together again! Dad is very proud of the drag and backlash he was able to achieve. This rear meshes like new!
Half way there!  Bench top jig on display.  Attached to the work bench with wood screws through the jig.
Half way there! Bench top jig on display. Attached to the work bench with wood screws through the jig.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:48 pm

Next Steps in our process... we are not cigar smokers.. but a neighbor is! The boxes make great parts storage units for parts such as those on the rear axle. Each box is a different sub-assembly and different side of the axle.
Attachments
All back together and ready to be set on the table.
All back together and ready to be set on the table.
Rear hub, ready for outer roller bearing and new brake shoes.  We are not afraid to label parts, such as the backing plate, in hard to see locations with Sharpie markers. Helps keep us from making mistakes.
Rear hub, ready for outer roller bearing and new brake shoes. We are not afraid to label parts, such as the backing plate, in hard to see locations with Sharpie markers. Helps keep us from making mistakes.
Shackle all cleaned up with new bushing. A previous owner placed zercs in the end of the shackles. I love the servicability of this, and so am not changing it.
Shackle all cleaned up with new bushing. A previous owner placed zercs in the end of the shackles. I love the servicability of this, and so am not changing it.
New bushing and backing plate cleaned up.
New bushing and backing plate cleaned up.
Last edited by Retro54 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 pm

And yet another set of pics!
Attachments
Other side, ready for sleeve and bearing!
Other side, ready for sleeve and bearing!
A roller bearing greased with Lucas Red N Tacky grease is back home in a new sleeve and supporting the axle end.  Fun fact, if you do not get the new inner seal seated correctly in the axle housing, the sleeve will not go in far enough and even if it LOOKS right, that darn roller bearing will not go in.  We learned this the frustrating way, but knowledge gained is knowledge earned!
A roller bearing greased with Lucas Red N Tacky grease is back home in a new sleeve and supporting the axle end. Fun fact, if you do not get the new inner seal seated correctly in the axle housing, the sleeve will not go in far enough and even if it LOOKS right, that darn roller bearing will not go in. We learned this the frustrating way, but knowledge gained is knowledge earned!
Once the bearing goes in, then from left to right goes... 1. A thrust washer 2. A felt washer. 3. An original dust cover (they do not reproduce these for the early rear ends).
Once the bearing goes in, then from left to right goes... 1. A thrust washer 2. A felt washer. 3. An original dust cover (they do not reproduce these for the early rear ends).
Dust cover and key installed.
Dust cover and key installed.
The other side with dust cover, key, and a new set of emergency brake shoes!  Can a sharp eyed expert see what I did wrong with the brake shoe in this shot? Sometimes you need to install twice to get things right!
The other side with dust cover, key, and a new set of emergency brake shoes! Can a sharp eyed expert see what I did wrong with the brake shoe in this shot? Sometimes you need to install twice to get things right!

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:56 pm

And yet another set of photos... these rear ends are a lot of work! haha
Attachments
Another angle. A shim was added to the brake shoe cam to take up some of the wear on this original part. I think the show is still installed incorrectly in this photo...
Another angle. A shim was added to the brake shoe cam to take up some of the wear on this original part. I think the show is still installed incorrectly in this photo...
The new emergency brake shoes (From Langs) have a lining bonded to them. The original ones are just metal as we all know.  With the service bake is located in the transmission, having good emergency brakes is a minimum necessity to ensure safe driving. A set of auxiliary bakes are certainly in my future, but not right away, need to get the car complete first and then spend $$ on extras.
The new emergency brake shoes (From Langs) have a lining bonded to them. The original ones are just metal as we all know. With the service bake is located in the transmission, having good emergency brakes is a minimum necessity to ensure safe driving. A set of auxiliary bakes are certainly in my future, but not right away, need to get the car complete first and then spend $$ on extras.
Drivers side completed and ready to go!
Drivers side completed and ready to go!
Passenger side as well. Now it is installed correctly!  I had the brake show fliped, so the dished out area of the shoe for the pivot bolt was against the backing plate.  Doing so does not allow the installation of the cotter key on the packing nut. Learned this lesson! haha
Passenger side as well. Now it is installed correctly! I had the brake show fliped, so the dished out area of the shoe for the pivot bolt was against the backing plate. Doing so does not allow the installation of the cotter key on the packing nut. Learned this lesson! haha

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Now to get this thing in the car. My brother (Also a member of the message board) has a Weaver Twin Auto jack. He lent it to the project and that's what we used to install and un install the axle. What a life saver! Such a simple tool makes installation much easier! Now the next step is to paint my freshly sandblasted and primed rims, retrofit the new rubber stem tubes with old metal schraders, and mount the Universal T Drivers and then learn to drive the darn thing! haha. I can't wait. Hope people enjoyed looking at all the photos. My father and I are not anywhere near experts, but with this being his third rear he's rebuilt, we keep learning a bit each time (Mostly from manuals and other users on this board). Cheers!
Attachments
Using the Weaver Auto-Twin jack makes axle installation a breeze! Just add a Harbor Freight dolly and one can roll the axle underneath by themselves.
Using the Weaver Auto-Twin jack makes axle installation a breeze! Just add a Harbor Freight dolly and one can roll the axle underneath by themselves.
In the car!  The car is supported on my Grandfather's old digging bar made from a New Idea Manure spreader axle.  Real good steel, real heavy and perfect for supporting the back half of a T.
In the car! The car is supported on my Grandfather's old digging bar made from a New Idea Manure spreader axle. Real good steel, real heavy and perfect for supporting the back half of a T.
Universal joint mated to the engine.  While the car is a 1915 touring body, frame and axles, the engine is a 1922 model, painted orange at some point in its life.
Universal joint mated to the engine. While the car is a 1915 touring body, frame and axles, the engine is a 1922 model, painted orange at some point in its life.
She's in and ready to roll!  Very happy to have the car back together again and hopefully drivable by Hershey!
She's in and ready to roll! Very happy to have the car back together again and hopefully drivable by Hershey!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 pm

Thank you for the photo sequence. It really helps augment the written instructions.
I am about to tackle the similar, ' 26 axle with the Adjustable Pinion assembly..
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Retro54

Post by Retro54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 pm
Thank you for the photo sequence. It really helps augment the written instructions.
I am about to tackle the similar, ' 26 axle with the Adjustable Pinion assembly..
You're welcome for sure! We certainly follow the book too. But I'm a visual guy too... Who doesn't like photos? Haha. I think the parts themselves are fun to look at. Good luck with the big drum. My brother, DanB posted a similar thread when he rebuilt his large drum ruxtle with Dad last year.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:13 pm

Envious of your being able to work with your dad. My dad is 2400 miles away and we don't visit often these days :cry:

Enjoy these moments while you can.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic