Invited to an invatation only car show,

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Invited to an invatation only car show,

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, what do you know, A hillbilly from the Ozark hills of Arkansas got invited to an Invitation only car show ... We received a call from the Oaklawn events promoter at The Oaklawn Horse Racing track in Hot Springs Arkansas. Seems they are having trouble finding a true antique car. I guess they only want so many Mustangs, and Camaros :) :). Oaklawn is one of the very old and prestigious events in Arkansas that was established in 1905. This event is to be held in the infield area and is limited to just 30 cars..... We also receive an amount of complementary items and also an amount of free wagers on the days horse races. The events manager was also interested in knowing that the car owners are well versed in their particular model of car. I hope I know enough to talk Model T properly ... Now I have to decide to wear my Sunday go to meeting clothes or my best pair of bib overalls .. :)
zzzzzzzzzzzz (2).jpg
Last edited by dobro1956 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Invited to an invatation only car show,

Post by aDave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Bib Overalls, Donnie
old cars run counrty.jpg
But then the shirt won't do.

Decisions - Decisions !

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Bibs Donnie, Bibs! Come on man, you are still in the south!

Hank

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Heck, I always assumed that your Sunday Go To Meeting clothes WERE bibs. Had no idea you owned anything else.

Me, I'm a jeans & T-shirt guy. For formal events I wear a clean T-shirt.

Dick

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 pm

A neighbor who owns the local electrical supply told me a story about when he and his late dad attended a convention in Chicago. Lyle always wore bib overalls. A convention attendee said, "Lyle, what will you wear to the dinner tonight? It's formal attire." Lyle told him, "In Kansas, this is formal attire."
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 pm

There really are special occasions that demand formal attire.

When I bought my TIG welder, I quickly discovered that T-shirts are innapropriate attire. TIG sunburns are no fun. For those special occasions, I have colored flannel long-sleeve shirts. When we are going to some special event, my wife sometimes asks me why I'm only wearing a T-shirt. I tell here I'm not planning to do any welding at the event.

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 am

I have been to Oaklawn several times during the races. We usually go to watch people, bet our 20.00 yearly gambling limit, and eat their historic corned beef sandwiches. There are thousands of people there on some of the special days. Its almost like going to Wal Mart to "watch people" There is no telling what you will see. Now on "Derby Day" That's when the "people watching" becomes a "sport" On "Derby Day" that is when the ladies dress to the hilt and the big hats come out. The hats are a thing to behold. I have seen hats with "live" birds on them . I think as long as I am wearing something beside my "birthday suit" Ill blend right in ... I will probably dress the part with the duster and Gatsby hat. or I may wear bibs. Ill probably have the 27 touring in "full" sport touring" dress. Complete with the tan top boot and tan gypsy curtains. When in full sport touring mode., the duster and Gatsby looks more the part. Im just amazed that they called me to see if I would come. Im not sure how they got my name or phone number. It does not really matter, but I figure someone there knows me ... If we get to go, Ill post pictures later. Right now the calendar is clear, and the date is marked, for my first (and probably only) Invatation only event ..... :)

Have fun and be safe.

Its almost time to fire up the truck and head to Chickasha :) :) :) :)

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 am

Be careful wearing flannel when welding. I set a brand new shirt on fire teaching my students one day. I had to take it off quickly so as not to get too burnt.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

:( Just got a call from Oaklawn ... The show is cancelled. We are expecting rain and severe thunderstorms with a 90% chance during the show time. The show has been moved to April 29th. Oh well, Ill put the "Sunday go to meeting" bib overalls back in their drawer and put my regular "work" bib overalls back on ... :) ... :( :(

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:18 am

Fire_chief wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 am
Be careful wearing flannel when welding. I set a brand new shirt on fire teaching my students one day. I had to take it off quickly so as not to get too burnt.
I have in a past life as a weldor (yep, weldor means the person using the welder, at least it used to 50 years ago, ;) ) had flannel shirts "flare up", but not actually catch on fire. Figured out it was caused from the fabric softener that we used. Kind of gets your attention pretty quick when you feel a hot flash come up into your helmet. :o Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic