Ruckstell axle

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Ruckstell axle

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 am

This Northeast part of Texas is pretty flat, and hotter than he!! this time of year, but that’s a different story. I’ve been driving T’s for 56 years, but this is my first running, driving car with a Ruckstell. My question is do you guys shift your axels in normal, non hill driving?

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Ruckstell axle

Post by KWTownsend » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am

Bob,
Here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of mountains and I have Ruckstells in all of my cars.
I always start in low and Ruckstell low. Then shift into high still in Ruckstell low. Finally, high and Ruckstell high.
I will use low gear in Ruckstell high if I am starting from a complete stop, but headed down hill, and go through all four combinations only if I am going up a steep hill and starting from a complete stop.
Use the same gear combination going down a hill as you use going up the hill.
I always shift in the Ruckstell low when coming to a stop.

Love my Ruckstells.

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Bill Robinson » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am

Personally, I always start off in Ford low. UNLESS I'm stopped on an uphill climb, such as a stop sign on a hill. If that's the case I start off on Ruckstell low, then shift according to the terrain.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 am

BobShirleyAtlantaTx wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 am
This Northeast part of Texas is pretty flat, and hotter than he!! this time of year, but that’s a different story. I’ve been driving T’s for 56 years, but this is my first running, driving car with a Ruckstell. My question is do you guys shift your axels in normal, non hill driving?
Whats the gear ratio?? If stock 3:66, leave it in direct for every thing, untill a hill or parade.
3:1. Rux (low) for starting off. Down shift to rux for slowing & stopping. On the open road - direct. Pick a gear ratio such that you are in direct mostly.
Rux being defined as engaged (underdrive)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:56 am

Normally, I use Ruckstell on my gravel driveway 1180' from house to paved road. I start in Ruckstell low and then shift to Ford high until I reach the paved road. When I go up a hill, I use whichever gear climbs best, and also go down the hill in the same gear. Important thing when going downhill is to shift into Ruckstell before the hill gets steep, just in case I might miss the shift, I can stop before I get to the steep hill.

On flat land, I don't use Ruckstell at all unless I am in a parade or elsewhere where I need to go very slow.
Norm

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Joe Bell tells me he down shifts into Rux low entering a corner then shifts to Rux high upon exit. Makes sense, I have yet to try it. Works with a hotrod Mustang, I can tell you. Joe must be one of them thar high performance, maxed out, go for broke model T guys! Go for it, Bill

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I never use Ruckstell except when needed. Usually that is for loading it onto a trailer, or a very steep hill. I have Ruckstells in all of my cars too that I drive. I tried Ruckstell and low pedal on that 18% grade on the Golden Gate tour recently, and found it was not needed. Standard Ford low was adequate for that hill.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Bob, you once bought parts from me in Katy, so you know how flat it is. Back in the 1970's, I had a 1916 touring that I bought out of Colorado Springs. It had a three speed cast iron Warford and a Ruckstell. Not even considering the Ford 2 speed transmission, the Warford and the Ruckstell, alone gave 6 forward speeds. I used to like to try them all, but Warford low with Ruckstell low was my least favorite. It was so slow, I could let the T trans slip into high and get out of the car and walk around it and get back in again before it got away from me. (and that's no lie)

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:50 am

Hi Terry,
Just think if you could lock the trans in low in Rux & underdrive you could check the air in the tires while you walked around.
I run a 3:1 so I use the Rux on hills & in traffic.
Craig.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 pm

I had a Ruckstell in my 12 but wanted the original look of the 12 clamshell rear end so I took it out and put it in my touring. Now I have the original axle and a cast iron warford which I am starting to think was a mistake. I am now looking for a nother Ruckstell and save the 12 rear end for a rainy day. If someone has one to sell, let me know. Frank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic