Hood shelf question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
cdmazz
First Name: Carl
Last Name: Mazzuca

Hood shelf question

Post by cdmazz » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:48 pm

These shelves are from a '27 Touring I picked up in Tallahassee. I can't find pictures anywhere of shelves from current suppliers that have the notch for the firewall/cowling bracket. The notch appears to be factory original. Can anyone tell me if these are correct? Thanks much.
27 Hood Shelf.jpg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Hood shelf question

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Fund some interesting information from past discussions
I would say that the suppliers are opting to let the purchaser notch. to the depth they need.

Notch or no notch? Sounds like a Yes.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1412783376
shelf.png
shelf.png (479.25 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
BUT
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1369022333
By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 08:56 pm:
I've seen lots of 27 bodies with bracket holes. I have seen a total of one that didn't have bracket holes. My assumption is that Ford left the brackets off at some point, maybe before he quit punching the holes, maybe not. Perhaps this body missed getting punched at the factory, but I doubt it. On the other hand, people could easily add brackets if none were installed from the factory. I'd really like to know the answers.
I do know one thing - pretty much every 26-7 body I've seen with brackets installed has a cracked firewall. The one without holes that I had was NOT cracked. No cars that I've welded the firewall up and put together without brackets has subsequently recracked (to my knowledge). Again, its your car, do as you like, but I leave the firewall brackets off 26-7's. There is no down side (unless perhaps you think it looks funny).
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
cdmazz
First Name: Carl
Last Name: Mazzuca

Post by cdmazz » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Nothing's ever easy, is it. This car is S/N 1499915*. I don't know if that qualifies as 'late'. There is nothing to indicate whether the brackets were factory installed or after-the-fact although the nuts and bolt look very 'Ford'.

Anyway, thanks much for the info. At least now I know.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:39 pm

I have a 26 Roadster and a 26 Touring. The only reason I can see for a crack would be due to the frame sagging on the passenger side. That side is caused by hard acceleration and braking which tend to put pressure on the crankcase ears which are attached just behind the firewall. So it is important to be sure the frame is straight when you are assembling the car.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured