Triple gear pins OK?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Triple gear pins OK?

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm

In my 1923 touring a triple gear bushing seized and spun the pin, which wallowed out the hole enough to make the pin and the gear wobble. So I'm using a "new" flywheel.

IMG_6161 copy.JPG
This morning I blasted the pins clean and measured them. They're mostly a perfect .675" but near the outer end they have from .001 to .0015" of wear. The transmission book says up to .005" wear is OK, but how about when it's not uniform over the length of the pin? Are these OK to use?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Triple gear pins OK?

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm
In my 1923 touring a triple gear bushing seized and spun the pin, which wallowed out the hole enough to make the pin and the gear wobble. So I'm using a "new" flywheel.

IMG_6161 copy.JPG
This morning I blasted the pins clean and measured them. They're mostly a perfect .675" but near the outer end they have from .001 to .0015" of wear. The transmission book says up to .005" wear is OK, but how about when it's not uniform over the length of the pin? Are these OK to use?
Pins wear on the load side. Turn them around 180 degrees. Surface is unused. Added benefit, extra clearance for oil to get in.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm

If you blasted them the surface is now too rough to use for a bushing. They need to be smooth as glass.
The ones sold by most vendors will not work as delivered, must be polished. If not polished they will eat a bushing out or lock it up. Read Herm’s thread about building transmission.
Dan Mceachern pins are best. This is just one mans opinion, what’s the saying “Your mileage may vary “. Dan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:42 pm

I think the triple gear pins ought to be really slick and have a polished finish. I wondered about that when I saw the blasted finish on the pins. A blasted finish would cause the bushing finish to start wearing since it’s a softer material. The wear on them isn’t enough to worry about in my opinion.
When they are worn very little I would ream the bushings to fit the pins and be done with it.

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

One more thing, if you knock them out, will not be tight when you put them back in.
Replacement pins should be larger than original pins where they fit flywheel.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Oops. I missed that you blasted them. Sand? they are no good now. Light bead blast? May be able to lathe polish them, but they would have to press back in tight. Not worth the risk. Get some new pins.
Use a PRESS to remove & install them. You certainly know to press them out from the gear side, not push them thru. Install bolts into the 4 closest pins threaded holes to prevent a crack from the pin hole to the bolt hole.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Being that this is a plain bearing, a 32Ra finish would be fine and pretty much preferable. This surface finish will hold micro-reservoirs of oil once supplied by the spiral groove in the bushing

The very longest life plain bearing would have a 16-20 Ra finish (closer to polished). This is in theory and not sure it is applicable in this particular setting.

Understand that surface finish is a science and you can have a polished surface which is rougher than you'd think on surface finish scales. Surface finish is a function of RMS peaks/valleys plus wave form. Selecting different cutoffs for the measuring equipment will give different results, so there are standards applied to control the length of cutoff for different applications. In the world of surface finishes, a polished surface may not necessarily be the smoothest...it all depends on the method used to accomplish the finish and the number, type and size of occlusions left after polishing.

A sandblasted finish in no way resembles a finish that you'd want to use. That said, given that the dimension is (I assume without consulting a drawing) nearly at standard size, then it might be possible to apply a finish to the pin which would bring it down from the rough finish it is now, at the expense of some diameter. However, removing the pins from a cast iron hole and replacing them is an entirely different story with it's own pitfalls, unrelated to surface finish and the scope of the question posed.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:57 am

Another note about pins. Dan’s pins have the shoulder that Ford pins do. They are the only reproduction pins that do that I know of. This keeps the pins from coming out the gear side of the flywheel. I have not seen this, but have heard of it happening.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic