Remember You are Not as Young as You Think...,

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Remember You are Not as Young as You Think...,

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Had a very strange medical emergency a week ago and wanted to share as it might help another.

Been doing a lot of outside hard physical work on our property for the last three weeks. Love a good physical workout at my age as it makes you sleep good at night. The bride made lunch last Friday, went to take a short nap as usual, then it hit....., Un-Godly abdominal pain like nothing every felt before (That includes broken bones, compound fracture). Sweating like a sponge being stepped on..., off to the hospital. Three liters of saline gone in no time, 2 shots morphine with no relieve, tube down my nose to stomach..., slight relieve. Then it finally subsided on the ambulance ride to Chattanooga's big hospital. 3 days in the hospital, test, after test.

We might be fit and in good health here and there, but the mind tells us to work thru minor ailments, etc as we age. My electrolytes/potassium levels dropped out causing my small intestines to twist, kink, spiral with spasms and craps. Pain level from 1 to 10..., 12!

Keep yourselves hydrated with electrolytes with plenty of rest breaks! Water is good but will purge your body too. If you still have a fast metabolism, slim build (165 lbs), no body fat.., be careful. DO NOT BE A HANK!

Hope this Helps Some of You!

Hank

GEmering
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Emering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring and 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49671
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Remember You are Not as Young as You Think...,

Post by GEmering » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Hank,
Very good advice!
So glad you're feeling better.
If I don't pass a mirror, on some days, I still think I'm the 22-year-old high school wrestling coach that I was 40 years and 40 pounds ago.

Stay well!
Gene
Gene Emering
Newton, New Jersey

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:18 pm

I told you sweet Tea aint right ! Glad to hear your doing better Hank. If you are hydrated well, I am tearing shingles off next week.😁
That will make you feel your age buddy.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Hank,

Nice to see your better now. Take care and wish you nice recovering. I feel I'm 25 but unfortunately it's not the reality... Some day's when I woke up without any pain, it's gonna be a good day :lol: .
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:48 pm

It's been thirty years now but I had a similar surprise in the July heat. Intense abdominal pain hit one evening and we finally went to the hospital. It stumped the doctors and after a battery of tests and several days they decided it was an abscessed appendix. One of the tests revealed that I had very early stages of Hodgkin's disease. Catching it early made it treatable and I survived it and the treatments with few problems. If they had diagnosed the problem without the additional tests the Hodgkin's probably would have progressed to a much more serious stage.
Do what you can for your health but be prepared for surprises.
Thanks for mentioning this Hank. It's been a hot summer for many of us.
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Thank You all, Gene, Dallas, Mario, Rich.., and others thru emails! I am normally very active physically and this taking it easy is driving me nuts! LOL! Age teaches us our limitations and how to adjust.

Folks.., you are the GREATEST!

All the Very Best,

Humbled Hank

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Glad you are still with us and also glad you are improving.

I had an injury back in January and have not done much on the T since, still doing physical therapy.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Since my wife and I both had the Covid a few months ago we drink Powerade a lot when working or getting hot. We are both in our 70’s and staying hydrated is a must. Our Dr encouraged us to drink it since its the cheapest thing out there for electrolytes and potassium. It’s pretty much the same as Gatorade or Pedalyte.
You can get with no sugar or with sugar.
Take frequent breaks and stay hydrated!!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 pm

Hank, you sure you didn’t have too much Ten O See Hills fire water ?? :P :lol:
Glad it wasn’t anything worse !!

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Hank - sorry to hear of your troubles --- I cringe just thinking about what you experienced. I've been told more than once to drink something like gatorade to stay properly hydrated with balanced electrolytes..... I tend to forget so thanks for the reminder.

I have various scars, aches, limps and the like that remind be that I'm an old codger, not the young guy I see in my head.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:26 pm

I have always heard "Don't be a Hank", but never knew a Hank
to really have something to avoid. Thanks for filling in the blank.

Hope you are feeling better.

We had a crazy strict regimen of hydration in AFG. We were required
keep a spiral notebook in our blouse pocket, recording all intake of
liquids.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:40 pm

As someone famously said a few years ago “ you can’t be Superman forever! “. :)

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Hank thanks for posting and glad all is well now. The heat can sneak up on you quickly, I'm in this daily with A.C service/repais up on the roof most days.

Now that things are better Hank sit down and watch Waterboy with Adam Sandler, some pretty funny parts for sure you will like :D

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:53 pm

I did the same thing years ago, not enough water, and hard work, got twisted gut. The pain was like a knife in the gut, being twisted for effect, not pleasant. It is easy to become dehydrated when you only drink when you are thirsty. I’d wager most people on here are not drinking the 2 liters of water per day we need to. I do now.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Sounds like you are on the mend! That is great news.
Growing up, I remember taking salt tablets before working out in the hot sun. Guess they did the same things as the fancy drinks, except didn't have big ad's splashed all over the place.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

JohnM
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:50 pm

A good cautionary warning that we're not as stout and invincible forever as we would like to believe. Good to hear you're recovering well.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 am

How terribly strange to be eighty. I've been incredibly lucky physically. Since surgery several years ago the cancer hasn't returned, and the hip going south doesn't hurt if I don't run. The infuriating part is being so d--n fumble-fingered clumsy. I used to start a nut on a bolt without looking. Now even if I'm looking right at it sometimes it gives me trouble. Oh well, if that's the worst of it I guess I'm doing OK. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 am

Thanks for the warning and reminder Hank. I, too, have been remiss in not properly hydrating. In my case it led to dizziness, loss of stamina and early onset fatigue. A recent habit of consuming water -even when not thirsty - has precluded a few of those symptoms. And sweet tea AINT THE ANSWER. It’s a diuretic. Now I’m gonna get some of that Powerade.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 am

I wish I felt as good as I did at 80! I told the doctor that, and all I got from him was, "You can do more than most men your age". I would like to stay the same, however, I see the walkers, wheel chairs, canes, and crutches or just bed ridden, and I do thank God that I can do as much.
To me, however, it takes all week working some, every day to do what I used to do in my spare time after putting in 40 hours a week at my job. I can do from 2 to 3 hours yard work or Model T work and then am tired. I usually walk out to the mail box and back every day which is 1180' one way.
Actually, I usually sleep better the night after putting in some work than I do when I sit around all day!
Glad your doctor found out your problem and hope it doesn't happen again.
Norm

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:52 am

Steve J. said: "The infuriating part is being so d--n fumble-fingered clumsy. I used to start a nut on a bolt without looking. Now even if I'm looking right at it sometimes it gives me trouble."

Dang, Steve, I've been blaming it on the low quality threads on those cheap imported nuts & bolts. Now you've got me wondering if it's just me. For now, I think I like my explanation better.

Dick

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:47 am

Henry K. Lee wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm
We might be fit and in good health here and there, but the mind tells us to work thru minor ailments, etc as we age. My electrolytes/potassium levels dropped out causing my small intestines to twist, kink, spiral with spasms and craps. Pain level from 1 to 10..., 12!
Keep yourselves hydrated with electrolytes with plenty of rest breaks! Water is good but will purge your body too. If you still have a fast metabolism, slim build (165 lbs), no body fat.., be careful. DO NOT BE A HANK!
Hank
Too much of a good thing isn't good too. As we get older our bodies don't process anything they way they used to. So be careful on what you eat and drink and in what quantities. To stay properly hydrated, you need to start drinking, water/sport drinks, 1/2 to 1 hour before the activity.
You should drink water every day. Most people have been told they should drink 6 to 8, 8-ounce glasses of water each day (I do). That’s a reasonable goal. However, different people need different amounts of water to stay hydrated. Most healthy people can stay well hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than 8 glasses may be enough. Other people may need more than 8 glasses each day. See chart below
Sport Drinks
The main ingredients in both Powerade and Gatorade are water, a type of sugar, citric acid, and salt.
Powerade is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, while Gatorade contains dextrose. Dextrose is chemically identical to regular sugar. High-fructose corn syrup and dextrose are nutritionally similar, which means that Powerade and Gatorade provide comparable amounts of carbs and nutrients. Multiple studies indicate that high-fructose corn syrup and regular sugar have similar negative effects on insulin levels, appetite response, and obesity risk.
Read the label and what the sodium levels, in the drink when added to other foods and table salt you use.
From WEBMD
"Potassium is a key nutrient that you can get from eating foods that have it, such as bananas, oranges, and broccoli. This nutrient is also called an "electrolyte" -- a mineral that helps your muscles and nerves communicate with each other. It keeps your heart beating regularly and your blood pressure stable. When your body is working right, you'll get all the potassium you need from your diet. Your kidneys send any extra potassium out of your body when you pee. When your kidneys aren't doing their job as they should, you can end up with too much potassium in your blood.
What your pee can tell you!
According to the Cleveland Clinic, the average person should urinate somewhere between between six and eight times in a 24-hour period. While an individual is occasionally likely go more frequently than that, daily incidences of urinating more than eight times may signal a concern for too-frequent urination.
Attachments
pee.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414

Post by BHarper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Wow Hank,

I am sorry to read of your harrowing experience, but am relieved that you are better now. Thank you for the Public Service Announcement.

And as wise old Clint advised us;
A Man has-to-know-his-limitations.jpg
A Man has-to-know-his-limitations.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 am

Glad all is well, Hank, but on another medical issue and advice; Even If You Have No History Of Heart Problems in Your Family, Everyone over 65 (and certainly over 70) Should See A Cardiologist, Probably At Least Once A Year. I have lost two classmates that I graduated from High School with, 55 years ago, to Heart Attacks, the most recent one only a week or two ago. Another man, who I grew up with and was one year younger than me, died from a heart attack, the same week as my classmate. I myself, have had a heart murmur since birth, and developed detectable heart problems over 30 years ago. A heart stress test showed scarring on my heart indicting I had a heart attack at some time. I didn't even know or feel it. I was told there is something called a "silent heart attack". In the last 30 years, I've had so many heart catherizations that I can't count them and in 2009, I had a quadruple bypass, so I consider myself to be living on "borrowed time".

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Yes, every so often many of us get that little tap on the shoulder, our own memento mori. Last month I was working in my shop as usual when I had what amounted to a stroke in my left eye. Luckily I was able to get right in to my opthamologist who injected a steroid directly into the eyeball which stopped the bleeding and dried up the blood over a period of a few weeks. I'm doing better now and have most of my good vision back but that sure shook me up pretty good and slowed me down for a few weeks.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:44 am

Recently in the heat, I thought I was having a major heart problem coming on strong. The doc discovered I was low on sodium. When I worked in the steel mill, we all took salt tablets to replenish sodium lost through perspiration. The mill had boxes of them scattered all through the production bays. If you are doing hard, hot work and start to feel weak or strange, try popping a couple salt tablets and take a big drink of water. I am not a doctor, but it is amazing how much better I feel and how my energy returns after just a few minutes when I manage to remember this trick! Easy does it, Bill

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Inside every old man, there's a joung man yelling : 'what the heck happened?' :D
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:39 am

One thing I learned early on in the Marine Corps. Drink water!!!! If you drink water when you're thirsty you're already dehydrated. If you are going to be out in the sun all day drinking (water) the night before will allow it to get into your system by the morning. If you're peeing clear you're good. Then continue drinking.......... Glad you're ok

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:22 am

Buy a six pack of regular V-6 vegetable juice. Read the label and note the levels of vitamin C and potassium, etc. A 12 oz can or two a day won't hurt a normal person, and will likely help maintain vitamin and mineral levels. It's not a substitute for WATER, but is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It does not contain added sugars, fructose, or chemical sugar substitutes. If you need to restrict sodium, a low sodium version is available.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic