Introduction: New to the group, from Paris Ontario

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Flivver
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Introduction: New to the group, from Paris Ontario

Post by Flivver » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:52 pm

I am new to the Model T community, having only just recovered my late father’s 1926 Runabout from a barn where it was stored. I've been reading this forum voraciously and learning a lot! But I have a lot more to learn in the coming months and years.

My goal this summer is to get her mechanically sound and on the road. It would be nice to do a few short tours before winter, to get a feel for her. Then I can tackle some of the more major projects over the winter.

I live in beautiful Paris Ontario Canada. I invite you to follow my journey here, and on Facebook and Instagram @flivverchannel

Thanks in advance for your patience with my many questions and inquiries.
1926 Runabout Barn.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Introduction: New to the group, from Paris Ontario

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:10 pm

Hello Steven

nice looking car...condolences on how you acquired it

two things you must NOT DO:

don't pull the starter without first removing the bendix from the end of it (or you'll destroy the internal magneto ring)
don't run the car without the generator hooked up to the battery by way of a functioning cutout (or voltage regulator)

1 thing you MUST do:

buy the T-1 "bible" from any supplier and refer to it prior to any kind of work...all other advice is embellishment beyond the instructions found therein

welcome to the affliction and be sure to have fun
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by FundyTides » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:13 pm

Welcome! Glad to see another Canadian. I am east of you in the beautiful Maritimes. I have a 27 Canadian built Touring car. Ask lots of questions if you need help and keep us posted on your progress. We love pictures

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:47 am

Welcome Steven - many Ontario T owners join us (and vice versa) for tours and events....it is truly an international hobby. I suggest you locate other T owners and club chapters near you as they are a great source of advice and help. The MTFCA doesn't have any chapters in Ontario that I'm aware of but the MTFCI does... There may also be some Canada-unique clubs I am unaware of.

Best of luck!
Tim - your neighbor in Michigan

Ontario Region - MTFCI
John Eagles
117 Stone Church Road East
Hamilton, ON, Canada L98 1A8​
<president@ontariomodelt.org>
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Hunter Gatherer
First Name: JEFF
Last Name: RAMSEY
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coup
MTFCA Number: 51650
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:54 am

Welcome aboard! I also have a 26 that I inherited from my father. Mine is a coup. I look forward to seeing how you progress with your car.
Jeff
1926 coup

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:55 am

This page will tell you of some of the embellishments Scott mentioned:
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Welcome Steven! That's a nice-looking roadster. I don't know how long it's been sleeping, but before you attempt to start the engine, be sure that the fuel system is clean. Look into the tank with a flashlight once you empty it. if it's not too bad you can just pour a gallon or two of gas into it, rock the car side to side a few times as best as you can, and drain that fuel. Do the same thing with fresh fuel a second time, and if the sample that you drain looks good, smile and take a Molson break, ay! If the fuel still looks bad you are going to have to pull the tank for cleaning, and on the '26 and '27 this is not a fun project. Some here say that you can pull the tank without removing the steering column, but on my '27 touring I could not. I don't know about a roadster - apparently the dimensions of things in front of the dashboard are not exactly the same on all body styles. Good luck and keep us posted.

Darren J Wallace
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B

Post by Darren J Wallace » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Steve, that ‘26 used to be mine! I rebuilt the motor and transmission. It has Kevlar bands in it and standard bore cast iron pistons. Babbitt in the mains and rods was redone too. That motor runs real sweet! I’m in Woodstock. Call me anytime. 5198512948. It would be nice to see her on the road again. I put those ‘26 plates on it too. Lots of fond family memories with that T. I purchased it from a gentleman from Janesville Wisconsin in the summer of 2001. The frame and engine numbers match too. I sold it your dad. Sadly, I heard he became ill shortly after he bought it and it didn’t get used a whole lot. Do you still have the front bumper?
Last edited by Darren J Wallace on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Darren J Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B

Post by Darren J Wallace » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:02 pm

A few pics from 2001.
Attachments
9AB55C5E-4E0A-4F6B-8734-4FD4360CDA25.jpeg
31BA011C-4A2F-4267-B13F-AB159888F075.jpeg
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:00 am

Great to reconnect! Thanks for the pics.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Welcome to the hobby. My first T was a 26 Roadster which I still have. I have wood bands in mine. One other thing I strongly urge you to do since you have Kevlar. I have two with Kevlar and they work fine, but you need to be sure they do not drag by being too tight and also do not slip the low or reverse band. When you start out in low or reverse, set the throttle to a high idle and when you push the pedal, try to press all the way down. You will soon learn how fast to set the throttle to keep the engine from stalling. Then control your speed with the throttle rather than slipping the bands. That way you will keep from overheating the drums. When you use the brake, try to gear down first before going downhill and if you still need the brake, pump the pedal so you will get oil to cool the band and drum to keep it from heating up.
I didn't know there was a Paris in Ontario! I thought it was in France. Do they speak French in Paris? My grandmother was born in Sterling, Ontario but she moved to upstate New York when she was about 10 years of age and since she was born in 1880, I don't think you or anyone you know would have known her because she would be 141 years of age is she had survived! I went to Sterling once but didn't know the location of where she was born, but if my memory is still correct, I think it is near Hamilton.
I will attach a picture of my 26 at Yosemite National Park, California.
Norm
View of Valley.jpg

Matt Hallahan
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Hallahan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring

Post by Matt Hallahan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:32 pm

I'd say welcome but I too am new here. I just inherited a model T. I have been following you for a bit now. It's been fun watching someone else going through the same things I am. Especially along the same time line. I am in Embro Ontario. So not to far... hopefully when the cars are back on the road we can meet up!
Attachments
20210713_202319.jpg

Darren J Wallace

Post by Darren J Wallace » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:21 pm

Matt, I grew up in Embro too! Currently in Woodstock. The one family pic I posted of the’26 when I owned it was taken in Embro at my grandmas house. 83 Commissioners St.😊 My early ‘13 which belonged to my grandfather spent most of it’s life in Embro.

Matt Hallahan
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Hallahan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring

Post by Matt Hallahan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:17 am

Very cool! I'm just up the street! If your in the area feel free to stop in!

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:33 am

Norman - There is also a Paris, Maine.

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Norman Kling: thank you for the warm welcome! I also really appreciate the advice. I will try to get the Kevlar bands set just right. I am finding it tricky.

Paris is a pretty little town on the river. When I get the car on the road I will try to get some photos around town.

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Matt:

Embro is very close! That's amazing. Thanks for the follow - hope I can keep the interesting content flowing.

When we both have the cars road-worthy, a meet would be great. Are there any cruise nights or cars-and-coffee meetups in the area. I know there was a big one Saturday nights in Paris... and I hope they continue that in future...but that's kinda far for you! Does Woodstock have one? Maybe we could target late summer or early fall.
Matt Hallahan wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:32 pm
I'd say welcome but I too am new here. I just inherited a model T. I have been following you for a bit now. It's been fun watching someone else going through the same things I am. Especially along the same time line. I am in Embro Ontario. So not to far... hopefully when the cars are back on the road we can meet up!

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Norman:

Where can I see more pictures of that beautiful blue '26 ? Gorgeous!
Norman Kling wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:56 pm
Welcome to the hobby. My first T was a 26 Roadster which I still have. I have wood bands in mine. One other thing I strongly urge you to do since you have Kevlar. I have two with Kevlar and they work fine, but you need to be sure they do not drag by being too tight and also do not slip the low or reverse band. When you start out in low or reverse, set the throttle to a high idle and when you push the pedal, try to press all the way down. You will soon learn how fast to set the throttle to keep the engine from stalling. Then control your speed with the throttle rather than slipping the bands. That way you will keep from overheating the drums. When you use the brake, try to gear down first before going downhill and if you still need the brake, pump the pedal so you will get oil to cool the band and drum to keep it from heating up.
I didn't know there was a Paris in Ontario! I thought it was in France. Do they speak French in Paris? My grandmother was born in Sterling, Ontario but she moved to upstate New York when she was about 10 years of age and since she was born in 1880, I don't think you or anyone you know would have known her because she would be 141 years of age is she had survived! I went to Sterling once but didn't know the location of where she was born, but if my memory is still correct, I think it is near Hamilton.
I will attach a picture of my 26 at Yosemite National Park, California.
NormView of Valley.jpg

Jim
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Booth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51340
MTFCI Number: 25259

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi from just up the road in Cambridge Ontario. I'm new to this hobby too, I have a 25 roadster and haven't owned it a year yet. Welcome to the fun.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:39 pm

More pictures of "Nellie" Called Nellie, because the first day I bought it, when I wanted to stop I shouted "whoa Nellie".
The last one is at Grover Beach near Pismo Beach in central California where they let cars drive on the beach at the Pacific Ocean.
Norm
As purchased
As purchased
After restoration
After restoration
On the beach
On the beach

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Cambridge is only minutes away! Nice to meet you, Jim
Jim wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:09 pm
Hi from just up the road in Cambridge Ontario. I'm new to this hobby too, I have a 25 roadster and haven't owned it a year yet. Welcome to the fun.

Ron Furlong
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Furlong
MTFCA Number: 18334
MTFCI Number: 13662

Post by Ron Furlong » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:25 pm

Good afternoon Steven. I sent you an email a few days ago. Have not heard back.

I am from Ayr so I beat Jim!! I have a 14 touring and a 15 roadster. There is another member that lives in Paris so will have to hook you up.
Be nice to meet you and see your car. Jim was just at my place on Sunday and I mentioned you had posted here. I guess he looked you up.

Welcome

Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic