How to square a valve guide hole to seat?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

How to square a valve guide hole to seat?

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Guys: Looking for input. Got a block here that someone else has put modern valves in. Couple guides were bored off square with sear. Stick valve in and it is off center of tapper. Put pilot and not square with top of block. How to fix.
Thinking about bore with core drill, ream and drive in guide. But will that square it up? How have any of you fixed this problem?
Here is my email if you need it. Thanks Dan
2B457A98-D06B-4FCE-9E8D-B94B6F62619A.jpeg
2B457A98-D06B-4FCE-9E8D-B94B6F62619A.jpeg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 1457 times

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Re: How to square a valve guide hole to seat?

Post by Philip » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:01 pm

it depends on how bad it is. if off just a little a good piloted valve seat cutter will work.
if it is way off it will need new seats

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Dan squaring up on a milling machine should do it on a slow plunge. It is in the car? If so maybe make up a guide and use a jobber long mill end.

Just an Idea,

Hank

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm

I think Henry pretty much nailed it

As an ugly option to doing it right I will admit to doing the following once for a friend under his carport in blazing FL heat and humidity: Someone "reamed" with a hand drill and while the valves were new, they were not centered (though had a surprisingly good fit in the guide). The valves were at the largest size so there was no correcting the guides under the circumstances I was working.

As the valves were slightly canted and not centered over the seats, I sent the valves out to be kissed on the faces to ensure concentricity and I simply cut new seats in the block with a neway cutter and was done with it. Car ran great. Car was an eBay purchase and barely ran when he received it.

Now for the rest of the story...I am now the recipient of that shade tree job. Years later, my friend died, the car was sold to a guy in TN who cut off the pan ears, dropped the engine on the ground and promptly put an industrial engine in the car. Not knowing the butchery done on the engine, I agreed to buy it sight-unseen and it is sitting in my dad's garage in TN. So, hate me if you will for doing that kind of job, but the fates determined that I would live with those valves but not all of the pan. :lol:
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm

Mounted on mill now. Had to order tooling. That is way I was thinking. Thanks guys.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:19 pm

My local machine shop mounts the block in a mill, and bores the old guide out to fit a replacement small block Chev guide.

Allan from down under.

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:35 am

I would suggest using an flat face end mill in a milling machine to bore the guide hole, centering it from the valve seat. That way it will be less likely to follow the old hole. Once bored, ream to fit the new guide, press in a new guide a ream for valve clearance. Cut the valve seat to the guide hole. If I can help 903-824-1949

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic